Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
%$#$*!
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a Blackspire Stinger chainguide (Bottom Bracket mount) and I'm curious if anyone is running it with an ISIS BB? What length BB would be ideal for a good chainline?

I've got a race face srx 108mm (68/73 compatible) BB in there now and had to put in about a 3mm spacer between the BB and stinger in order for the chain not to rub in granny. This, however, has given me a pretty bad chainline causing the chain in the middle ring to want to continually drop into the granny when the chain is in the largest cog in the rear.

Any ideas? Is the 68/73mm compatible BB the culprit? Would getting a dedicated 73mm 113 BB do the trick? Please don't tell me I have to grind down the stinger.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
my guess is ya need a 113 but im not hip to the srx's fit on a turner. a good shop should be able to help ya figure this out and complete a excellent install/tune of all yer parts. check some of the chainguide threads for more tips on spacers w/ rf cranks.

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
What I've seen done with Isis BB's is grinding down the chain ring bolts on the granny ring to alleviate the rubbing problem. For ISIS BB's, I think the only solution that doesn't require any grinding, is to run a Heim 3guide. The Stinger is just too fat for the Isis BB's.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
El Chingon said:
What I've seen done with Isis BB's is grinding down the chain ring bolts on the granny ring to alleviate the rubbing problem. For ISIS BB's, I think the only solution that doesn't require any grinding, is to run a Heim 3guide. The Stinger is just too fat for the Isis BB's.
The Heim, with a MRP roller using the stinger roller axle, works quite well wth any BB. :thumbsup:

·
%$#$*!
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's a real pic. I'm running Stylo's right now and the granny bolts are fairly flush already. I don't think I want to take the step of grinding down the bolts since the chain rubs on the guide about the same time the bolts do.

I guess I'll have to grind down the stinger plate a few millemeters if I want to keep it. Not sure if this will weaken it too much.

Anybody want to trade an old heim for a almost new stinger?:madman:

Attachments

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
beefmagic said:
Here's a real pic. I'm running Stylo's right now and the granny bolts are fairly flush already. I don't think I want to take the step of grinding down the bolts since the chain rubs on the guide about the same time the bolts do.

I guess I'll have to grind down the stinger plate a few millemeters if I want to keep it. Not sure if this will weaken it too much.

Anybody want to trade an old heim for a almost new stinger?:madman:
me thinks yer b/bkt is too chort. not a great angle but ya get the idea. ive got about 2mm of space between the heim plate and the chain in the 22/34. thats roughly half of what a 113 would offer and youll need all that with a thicker blackspire stinger (hint hint chicken boy). time to go shopping.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.