Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Further to my swapping out of parts, I've just discovered that one Bottom Bracket has a Squere Crank Arm (The Suntour Crank set) and the other has a Splined Crank Arm (With the Truvative Crank Set)

Which is the best / strongest / most common to enable replacements at a later date?

Thanks in advance

Fraz

·
Registered
667 Posts
agabriel said:
Splined is stronger, there are more points of contact. If you wreck the BB you would typically replace the crank arms at the same time.
Errr... Cranks are expensive, if they are in good shape there's no point in replacing both the BB & the cranks unless you want to change from a square taper to splined.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Fraz said:
Hi. Further to my swapping out of parts, I've just discovered that one Bottom Bracket has a Squere Crank Arm (The Suntour Crank set) and the other has a Splined Crank Arm (With the Truvative Crank Set)

Which is the best / strongest / most common to enable replacements at a later date?

Thanks in advance

Fraz
To get the most up to date BB/Crank - look at the combined ones. Race Face, Truvativ, Shimano, and a bunch of others.

It means there's one size fits all - no need for different bb sizes, and two sizes for cranks, means a lot less options (streamlining production and reducing costs). It also means they get the BB sale too.

The Octalink and ISIS are still around, but not many new designs. Parts will be harder to come by in the future.

Square taper - even more so.

The splined and square taper have more options of mixing and matching parts to get greater adjustability or lighter weight.

JmZ

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
I hear lots of clyds having problems with the isis (splined)... don't know whats up with that...

i'll be going with external bearing 2 peice cranks next time around though

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Fraz said:
Thanks guys, for your posts only I'm no wiser!

I just want to know which is best or more modern, the Square Taper or the Splined?

Thanks
Replace it with something like the Deore BB and Crankset combo. Lookie hereIf the other guys are right about the BB being unique to Truvativ (size of the spindle, number of splines, whatever) - it's propietary and once parts dissapear - which is happening with ISIS and square taper both... your cranks and your BB will only serve as a paperweight.

If if was ISIS and you wanted a long lasting BB - you could hunt up a SKF.
If it was Sqare and you wanted a long lasting BB - you could hunt up a Phil Wood.
If it's neither - you're hosed.

There are reasons people like Square and ISIS... but I don't think either will matter to what you're looking for.

JmZ

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
froogle.com and look for SLX crankset... you can find them for about $110 including the BB... supposidly as stiff as an XT with a modest weight penelty... i'll be going that route when its time... then i'll toss my phil wood BB over to my other bike :)

·
Registered
851 Posts
Jmz,
If its mounted on the bike and spinning smoothly (and its all the OP has) its not a paperweight, its a functional crank getting the job done. Once it breaks and no longer turns, which could be many years from now depending on riding style, it's then a paper weight.
I'm not saying its the best crank option available. I'm just saying that OP only talked about part swapage, and a basic truvativ crank will get the job done...

Fraz,
Do you have the cash for a new crank? If you do, the new ones feel alot better. The new style BB is alot easier to mount.

Anthony

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.