Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace some 5 year old Avid BB7 breaks. I may just put some new BB7's on, however, I am courious if there is something better out there now. I'd love some feedback from folks if they have any. Is anyone going to try to convince me to go hydraulic?

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
hydros are nice....but i still ride bb7's on all my bikes cause i just plain like them. i have some that are 5 years old, i also have some 2007 models...they are pretty well the same thing.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
If you want some cheap hydros, Shimano Deore hydros are amazing for the price. They're a bit heavier than Shimanos higher end offerings, but lever feel is identical and power and modulation are very, very close.

I'm interested in the IRD Dual Banger mech discs, but havn't tired 'em, and don't know anyone who has. Instead of just moving one of the pads, and thus pushing the rotor into the other pad, like every other mech disc that I'm aware of, they move one pad, as well as the mounting tabs. The tabs move half as far/fast as the pad. The result is that, in effect, both pads are moving together. Seems like a really good idea. That said, I have absolutly no experience with how well they actually work. I'd love to have you be the guinea pig on this one. :D

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
BB7 is the only cable you should consider.

I'd go hydraulic, but... I went hydraulic in 1994 and will never buy another brake cable so long as I live (iow bias). Magura Julies are readily available on eBay for $150, new or jenson has a pretty good deal on LX - I believe it would come to around $160 all said, but you'd have to fill and bleed them yourself (Maguras are pre-bled).

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the feedback guys, please keep it coming... anyone one wanna slam the bb7's?

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
ventana1 said:
thanks for the feedback guys, please keep it coming... anyone one wanna slam the bb7's?
Nothing wrong with them. That said, they're not as powerful or reliable as a decent hydro. They don't modulate as well or feel as nice either.

·
Harrumph
1,598 Posts
BB7's are much better than lower end hydro's IMO. Other Mech's aren't worth it.

·
Phil from San Diego
581 Posts
BB7's for sure. I love the brake pad adjustment features and the ease of alignment to prevent/minimize rotor rubbing.

I recently switched to Formula K24's which feels alot better and more powerful.. but I had to deal with the rotor rubbing on the pads till they were finally "broken-in".

Phil.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
ventana1 said:
Looking to replace some 5 year old Avid BB7 breaks. I may just put some new BB7's on, however, I am courious if there is something better out there now. I'd love some feedback from folks if they have any. Is anyone going to try to convince me to go hydraulic?
If yours are broken, new BB7s.

But I prefer the first generation Avid BBDB.

The Avids are still the standard in cable disc brakes.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Out of curiousity, what manufacturers make mechanical disk brakes? I thought about it a second, and the only ones I can think of are avid, grimeca and tektro.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Ardent said:
Out of curiousity, what manufacturers make mechanical disk brakes? I thought about it a second, and the only ones I can think of are avid, grimeca and tektro.
Hayes, IRD, Shimano, Promax, bunch of cheapie brands, etc.

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
I agree with Shiggy. If you are going to stay mechanical and liked the way your old brakes worked. Stick with them. But as one of the earlier posters said, the Deore hydro's are cheap and reliable. I have had a pair on a bike for a couple of years and have not even had to bleed them and they still work perfectly

·
Registered
74 Posts
What about the Hayes Mx-1's? Should I not even bother looking at those to replace my V's? I can get a pair of MX-1's from Blue Sky for $60.

·
aka Willy Vanilly
485 Posts
I went with a Hayes mechanical to save a couple bucks. It was a decision that I regret. The brake doesn't have a very good feel to it, the pad adjustment is very difficult, and I just wasn't impressed by the quality of the system. I did save a couple bucks but in retrospect I should have just gone with the Avid BBDB's.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Snyperx said:
What about the Hayes Mx-1's? Should I not even bother looking at those to replace my V's? I can get a pair of MX-1's from Blue Sky for $60.
Not worth it at all. There's a reason they're $60- they're crap.

Remember, you need disc compatable hubs, frame and fork to go to discs, so it's more expensive than just buying some brakes.

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,426 Posts
Hardtails Are Better said:
If you want some cheap hydros, Shimano Deore hydros are amazing for the price. They're a bit heavier than Shimanos higher end offerings, but lever feel is identical and power and modulation are very, very close.
Word.

Had a couple of sets on different bikes - good, reliable strong brakes.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts