Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been using a few different apps and live in Jericho Vt (north west part of the state)
Really want to narrow it down to one app and am looking for advice as to what people prefer between the 3 I use, I would prefer to not have a new one introduced unless it’s substantially better for some reason.

The three I have used are Strava, MTB Project & Runtastic mountain bike.

I’m new to the Vt trails so any help
Is much appreciated.

·
2,675 Posts
Trailforks was my go to app for finding and navigating new VT trails when I moved here a couple years ago. It doesn't have all the trails obviously, but is a good starting point.

You'll find there are many unmapped trails you'll come across in many areas.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trailforks was my go to app for finding and navigating new VT trails when I moved here a couple years ago. It doesn't have all the trails obviously, but is a good starting point.

You'll find there are many unmapped trails you'll come across in many areas.
Just what I was worried about... Lol another option. I actually did download that but I have never used it mainly just because I had to many already.

Does that one allow you to track yourself and give you details of your ride? That is also something I should've mentioned I am looking to have included in the app which three I did mention have that.

Thanks a lot for the advice though maybe I'll take a peak at it since it's already on my phone.

·
Monkey
327 Posts
Trailfork is the way to go. Can be linked to Strava and you can select heatmap overlay when viewing trail systems. It gives you the official trails and off the radar stuff. Of course some "local only" trails might not appear if said locals are not recording their rides which is how it should be.

No dig no ride!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I use Trailforks primarily here in Maine. I do have Strava, which I link to, MTB Project, TrailHub, Singletracks, just because sometimes I've found trails there that are not on TF. But TF is pretty good for up here. Another nice thing about TF is that you can add your reports and submit trails, so if I see one on one of the other app and go for a ride I can add it to TF and give a report, add photos, etc.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Let me ask you - when you come to an intersection and there's a bunch of dirty hippy mtn bikers blocking the trail - will you yell, "MTB Project", or "Runtastic" or "Trail Forks", or will you scream "STRAVA!!!!!!" to get them the hell out of your way?

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Trailfork is the way to go. Can be linked to Strava and you can select heatmap overlay when viewing trail systems. It gives you the official trails and off the radar stuff. Of course some "local only" trails might not appear if said locals are not recording their rides which is how it should be.

No dig no ride!
Travis! Getting involved in your localish clubs will be a good investment to figuring out local riding. Check out Brewster River, Richmond, and Fellowship of the Wheel if you haven't already.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let me ask you - when you come to an intersection and there's a bunch of dirty hippy mtn bikers blocking the trail - will you yell, "MTB Project", or "Runtastic" or "Trail Forks", or will you scream "STRAVA!!!!!!" to get them the hell out of your way?
Lol better keep your day job...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Travis! Getting involved in your localish clubs will be a good investment to figuring out local riding. Check out Brewster River, Richmond, and Fellowship of the Wheel if you haven't already.
Thank you yes I am already involved as much as I can be with my crazy schedule but I am mainly just wanting to know which app performs best in my area. I am familiar somewhat with my local trails but I am learning only been a few months on them last fall.

·
Registered
221 Posts
At Ascutney Trails, we just decided to go with Trailforks, as that seems to be the one with the most users. We had been relying on map sales to help pay for trail maintenance, etc., but saw sales diminishing as more people were going digital. Also, the real time GPS location is hard to beat on a complicated network like ours. They only had a few of our trails on there, but I have been adding and editing, so we should have close to 40 miles on there by now. I will be adding more info and some ride routes as time allows. (The one route on there, "STAB" takes you all the wrong ways, but so far my attempts at deleting it have failed.) Other STAB trails aren't on there, per landowner request, but they do show up on the heat map, much to our consternation.

·
Monkey
327 Posts
(The one route on there, "STAB" takes you all the wrong ways, but so far my attempts at deleting it have failed.) Other STAB trails aren't on there, per landowner request, but they do show up on the heat map, much to our consternation.
Contact StephaneMarceau or brenthillier directly to have the route removed. I'm surprised you can't remove it if you're the region admin. Would be great to have a few routes added by you.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thanks for the advice, Jozz. I hid it. Meanwhile, I have tried to add routes, but none of the trails I added two weeks ago show up in the route editor map - only the names, and they can't be selected. I'll contact Stephanie or Brent once we get all our trails open for the season, and I have some time to concentrate on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.