Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys!
I am riding on a 2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 750 MSL Full suspension bike and want to upgrade my wheels without spending a fortune.
I am on my stock wheels now Wheeltech Inferno 25 27.5 by SUNringlé with wheeltech straight pull hubs.
I friend who works at a bike shop told me that they probably weight in at about 2000gr but i could never find the claimed weight on the internet.

I would like to go for some lighter wheels that are at least as stiff and strong as mine if not stiffer.
At first i was looking at the Flow EX but this would most probably be overkill. I am a tall guy about 6'3" (190cm) but not too heavy 180lbs not more.

So I looked at different options that are still more than XC. I do XC-ish riding and participate in races from time to time but i live for the fast and gnarly stuff (some say all mountain, some say enduro, i say mountain biking) where those XC hoops would be too less.
The Arch EX (prefarably with Hope 2 hubs) would be a good option. I also looked at the 2014 Crankbrothers Iodine 2 wheelset i could get that one for 450 bucks at my LBS so that is cheaper than anywhere in the internet. They apparently solved the 2013 issues and i look like them a lot.

I am a wheel newbie so I need opinions!! What other wheel sets could i go with that would be a nice upgrade to my current one? Any good deals in the Internet?

cheers
r0b

·
ready to ride
860 Posts
Tubed tires would be a crap shoot on a UST rim if you are trying to run them tubeless. Of course you can always run them tubed. Typically weigh the least

TLR or tubeless ready have a bead similar if not the same as UST but require sealant as their sidewalls are generally not as thick as a UST tire. It should run fine on a UST rim though.

UST on a UST rim thicker sidewalls/casings that are designed to be run without sealant, but depending on where you ride you may want to use some anyways.

I'm in the same boat. I'm defintely going with UST rims. Its a standard so you know a UST tire or TLR tire will work on it. Stans is a crap shoot though most have good experience running non UST/TLR tires on them.

Also more and more manufacturers are making UST versions now. The standard isn't going anywhere in my opinion and will likely become more prevalent.

I'm going Hopes with i23s, I just can't decide if I wan the KOM or the frequency. Weight or strength? I go back and forth but will probably go with strength.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I converted to tubeless and run tubeless ready/tubed tires.
I ride in a thorny area (El Paso) so I will need sealant anyways, my tires are usually covered in spines from all the cactus and goat heads.
What do you guys think about the CB Iodine 2 and the Mavic Crossmax Enduro?

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Just say no to wheels with proprietary parts, if you ever break a spoke or strip a nipple on the CB or Mavic wheelset you are completely screwed and SOL. And if you believe that CB has solved their reliability problems, I have a bridge in NYC to sell you.

With that said, the Arch EX is essentially an Inferno 25 rim with a shallower profile and is a few ounces lighter as a result. It's not going to be any stronger or stiffer since the materials are the same and they're actually made in the same factory. All you get is a Stan's sticker and a price premium.

As for what I'd recommend, go with the Spank Industries Oozy 26 EVO or WTB KOM 23 rims and build them up on your hubs of choice. Both rims are made of stronger aluminum alloys than the bog standard 6061-T6 found in Stan's rims, and are stronger and stiffer than the Arch EX. The WTB gives you a bit more width than the Spank but it does cost a bit more.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you I really appreciate your answers and I also really see the point of what you say. Proprietary parts are gonna give you a hard time.

I would have the option to get all the parts at cost, so this is why I am looking into getting the WTB KOMs. I really like the weight and they seem to be stiff. Seems to be what I am looking for. Do you think they will be durable as an everyday Trail/AM wheelset?
Because they are new there is not too many reviews yet. People who actually tested them really liked them but many remain skeptical because of the low weight. I also thought of getting the frequency, but those rims will almost be the same weight as my current rims.

claimed weights.
WTB KOM i23: 425g
WTB frequency i23: 472g
SUn ringle inferno (my current stock rims): 495g
couldnt find the weight for spanks 650b rims.

I do not know if the difference between my current wheelset and a custom one with hope hubs and the frequency would be big enough to be worth it so i am really looking at the KOM, it is just that I do not know if they are too unreasonable light.
Tell me something against the KOMs or I will buy them :D i would really appreciate any views on that RIM because I didnt find too much while doing research.

·
Registered
10,137 Posts
I am looking at a similar upgrade for my wifes bike - currently have the same rims, and am considering what you have listed, as well as a set of Velocity Blunts

Velocity Wheels

Price is really good on them and they seem to be solid(ish)

Also seriously considering another set of the light bicycle carbon rims - my 26er set has been holding up really well, but they are 50% more expensive if that is of any concern. They are really light as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks the blunt looks really good.
it seems to me to be essentially the same as the KOM, same weight 425 grams and same internal width. Only difference seems to be the 4d drilling on wtbs side and the fact that the velocity blunt comes in 28 or 32h

Really seems like the same thing for me hmm...
any reasons to go for the KOM or rather for the Velocity Blunt?

and light bicycle rims is incredible 175 dollar for a carbon rim? do not know if i should trust it... read stuff about cracked rims.

·
Registered
10,137 Posts
thanks the blunt looks really good.
it seems to me to be essentially the same as the KOM, same weight 425 grams and same internal width. Only difference seems to be the 4d drilling on wtbs side and the fact that the velocity blunt comes in 28 or 32h

and light bicycle rims is incredible 175 dollar for a carbon rim? do not know if i should trust it... read stuff about cracked rims.
My thoughts on the carbon rims is if you are not difficult on alloy rims (not currently denting/dinging your current sets) you will probably be fine with the lightbicycles rims. I have never been rough on wheels, but I also do not go blazing flat out through rock gardens. my carbon set has been going solid so for me it is really worthwhile for the weight savings and the stiffness the rims provide.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Velocity's rims are all made of 6061 aluminum which is the standard all purpose aluminum alloy in the bike industry. WTB's WT69 alloy (which is probably 6069) is a higher strength alloy so the rim will be stronger for the same weight.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
what spokes would you recommend for a custom build with those and the new 40t hope hubs?

will those wheels (the KOM) hold up me going fast down a rock garden that looks like this.
the photo is me racing the puzzler endurance race 2014 in el paso.
Adventure Walking Trail Wilderness Mountaineer

I am about 5 seconds away from the KOM on strava haha :D. Those KOM wheels really should give me the crown on this downhill lol.
Most people walk this rock garden, we call it the baby heads.

·
Redcoat
1,005 Posts
what spokes would you recommend for a custom build with those and the new 40t hope hubs?

will those wheels (the KOM) hold up me going fast down a rock garden that looks like this.
View attachment 887842
I am about 5 seconds away from the KOM on strava haha :D. Those KOM wheels really should give me the crown on this downhill lol.
Walking that is blasphemy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Chris Bling
2,594 Posts

View attachment 887842
I would not hesitate to blast down that 'rock garden' :) I always check my pressure in my tires before I ride to make sure I have 30 psi. With that pressure, I have never had a ding in the rims. I ran into trouble when I went out on short ride and forget to check my tires after a week of not riding. I ended up with a small ding in the rim that was easy to pull out. When I checked my pressure I was below 25psi on my scale.

That looks like a fun place to ride KOM rims to get a KOM :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Soil Groundcover Walking Adventure Hiking

Blasphemer encountered!

It is my favorite trail and people call me crazy for loving it so much.
I am already excited to get this new wheelset. On this same trail I ding a rim kind badly, got a rock hit into my tire and came out of this with like 10psi. A higher air pressure might have helped, but not sure, no tire is safe on our trail. but a pair of pliers fixed that problem in no time. another reason not to go carbon

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.