Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
here is what i am looking for.

AM geometry steel hardtail. like 68 degree HTA but with 72 degree STA. hammerschmidt would be cool too. with 140 or 160 fork.

besides transition which seem like it fits the bill perfectly i know there is dark supernova bu its kinds of steep on the HTA.

i know there are some aluminum frames out there but are there any other steel that anyone knows of ?:)

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
qbert2000 said:
on one 456
ragley blue pig
evil sovereign
trans am
chromag stylus, samurai, trl, sakura
ns surge

theres a ton out there just search steel hardtails in the forums
on one 456, ragley, and ns surge wont work - no ISCG tabs for requested Hammerschmidt, though the on one 456 Summer Season will work, but perhaps too slack of an angle given requested 68

custom always an option, but generally more $

The Cotic BFe is rad too

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Biased towards Chromag. You can check out the TRL. But the price point is high. Have a Sakura right now but getting a TRL.

I would opt for a TransAM. Can take a longer fork, a hammerschmidt and you can run it single speed if you are so inclined.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
baycat said:
Biased towards Chromag. You can check out the TRL. But the price point is high. Have a Sakura right now but getting a TRL.

I would opt for a TransAM. Can take a longer fork, a hammerschmidt and you can run it single speed if you are so inclined.
yeah...I do love the SS versatility of the Trans Am

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
FoShizzle said:
on one 456, ragley, and ns surge wont work - no ISCG tabs for requested Hammerschmidt, though the on one 456 Summer Season
Fo, the NS Surge has ISCG05 tabs on from late 2008 frames onwards, Hammerschmidt would be fine on it.

Just to gum up thing with more choice.

DMR's ExAlt and Trailstar III would fit the bill pretty well, but my choice would be the NS.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Don't forget the DialledBikes Alpine.

It comes with tabs and has a 68.5deg head tube and 74 deg seat tube. Also, it is designed for a 120-160mm travel fork. Seems like a great option. Just slide your seat rearward to decrease the seat angle effect if you like it a little slacker there.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey thanks guys, i like steeper seat tube angles like 72 or 73, and i want 68 or 67 head tube angle with 160mm fork and hammerschmidt.

so it looks like my choices are:

dialed bikes alpine
transition transam
orange p7
cotic bfe

and of course the frame has to come in black! lol

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Fix the Spade said:
Fo, the NS Surge has ISCG05 tabs on from late 2008 frames onwards, Hammerschmidt would be fine on it.

Just to gum up thing with more choice.

DMR's ExAlt and Trailstar III would fit the bill pretty well, but my choice would be the NS.
i knew that...i was just checking to see if you were paying attention.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yes they slide, frameset comes with derailleur hanger and a drive-side ss dropout too.

The dropout design has changed for 2010. Earlier the brake mounts were in the dropout, now they're in the frame, which I think is better idea because the earlier models suffered from some braking-related dropout slipping problems.

Here's mine with gears:

And SS:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Played with the measure tool in Adobe Illustrator:

Unsagged 68° HA with 130mm fork equals sagged 150mm fork, right?

Orange gives the 69° / 73° angles and - 35 bb height sagged, that's why it's 68° / 72° and -25mm in the pic.

It's true that any measures and angles are worthless if you don't know if they're sagged or not.

Hmm... Maybe I should do some real work now....

·
Registered
317 Posts
Brant: I'm thinking of changing the frame to 20" Mmmbop with a shorter stem to get rid of some weight, but my concern is the steeper seat tube angle, because I like to have lots of setback... How would Mmmbop geometry be with 130mm Revelation?

The bike would then weigh 24,3 lb if the mmmbop frame is 3,7lb like CRC claims...

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
plussa said:
Brant: I'm thinking of changing the frame to 20" Mmmbop with a shorter stem to get rid of some weight, but my concern is the steeper seat tube angle, because I like to have lots of setback... How would Mmmbop geometry be with 130mm Revelation?

The bike would then weigh 24,3 lb if the mmmbop frame is 3,7lb like CRC claims...
I am going to produce some "unsagged"/static/USA dimensions today because I understand that some of you like to compare things in a different way to those I use to design things.

Lots of setback isn't a good thing for seated climbing unless you like doing wheelies.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts