Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at the Alpine series. The Alpine 550 is out of stock in my size (20") but I'm looking at the Alpine 450 and the Alpine 650. Now I *could* afford to pay the $200 upgrade from 450 to 650... but is it suggested? I'd rate my skill level as beginner. I'm a big guy at 6'3" and 230 lbs so it needs to support my weight. On an only slightly sillier note, I don't really like blue. I think I would go with the 550 if it was in stock... so...

450 or 650?

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
I agree with Jake

Buy the best bike you can afford, regardless of your skill level. Think of it this way: Should a new driver be relegated to driving a Yugo? :D Buying a bike with better components is even more important for those of us who go north of the 200 lb range. We put a real strain on all components, so you want a bike that has specifications that will reasonably accommodate the starin you'll be putting on them. if you can afford the Trophy X.7, grab it up. It has a very sturdy fork, excellent drivetrain components and the best mechanical disc brakes money can buy. If not, please go as far as to buy the Alpine 650. In closing, I'll say that I very rarely hear someone say "The bike i bought has components that are way better than I need." On the other hand, the number of people who say "I should have bought a bike with better components" is significantly higher.

Bob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hm, so you're suggesting that the Trophy Comp X7 is significantly better than the Alpine 650? The problem is that I technically could afford to go out and buy the really sharp $4k dual suspension bike at the LBS, but I try to keep myself under control... lest I find my income suddenly not so disposable and more so just disposed :p The Trophy Comp X7 says sale price 799... what is it normally the price? The reviews here look like several have gotten it for $700.

Now, if things were apples to apples, I would probably pull the trigger on ordering that Trophy Comp X7 or the Alpine 650 today... but I have one last decision to make. My LBS (Cycle Spectrum) has a Motobecane Fantom Comp for $795, nearly exactly the same price as the Trophy Comp X7. (Shipping and tax kind of balance each other out.) So here's my next question... my limited experience tells me that the Trophy Comp X7 is a better bike, and that Ibex > Motobecane.... but...

The question is does
1) supporting and forming a good relationship with my local bike shop
and 2) the local bike shop offers free tune ups and free repairs (pay for parts only) for life

Do those two things outweigh the differences between the Ibex Trophy Comp X7 and the Motobecane Fantom Comp? How big of a difference are we talking in components? I find the Ibex extremely tempting, but the Fantom Comp somewhat... reassuring. I've ridden it, but would I just always be wondering about how much more I would like the Trophy Comp X7? I realize I'm in the Ibex section which probably has a bias, but I do find the enthusiasm encouraging :)

Opinions very much appreciated!! :)

Linkage
http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-COMP-X7-Details.html
http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/xc-hardtail/ibex-bicycles/trophy-comp-x7/PRD_414722_1527crx.aspx

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom_comp08.htm
http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/xc-hardtail/motobecane/fantom-comp/PRD_364033_1527crx.aspx

also this is my LBS in case anyone has any experience with them
http://cyclespectrum.com/

EDIT: This discussion seems more appropriate to a different forum, so I'm reopening my new question over there. Still very much appreciate feedback though!

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
The Ibex has the Tora with Motion control. Motobecane does not. The Trophy comes with better pedals, cranks, chain, rims, saddle.

Motobecane has better rear derailluer.

As for perks with having a good relationship with an LBS, sure. I do with mine (wrenchscience.com). Awesome guys who'll make sure you're taken cared off...

As for having their support, i personally prefer wrenching my own stuff unless i know and trust the mechanics. Thats always a challenge when dealing with an LBS you have never dealt with before. Most maintainence stuff you can pretty much do yourself anyways and the harder stuff like fork rebuilds, wheel builds and etc you're going to have to pay for labor anyways. Plus, it is fun wrenching... sometimes... other times, i call Ray at Wrenchscience... XD

·
Registered
313 Posts
Jake Pay said:
Okay, I'll say it one more time..​

.Here's the real $$$ deal> Trophy Comp X7..On SALE: $799

Jake​
just fyi for anyone looking for the best ~$700 hard-tail bike for the money (like me right now), the Ibex TR-Comp-X7's are out of stock and the bumped the price to $899 :nono: . What are my other options? :madman:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.