Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This should be quite simple, but.........
I'm looking at either a Fox Float in RP2 or RP23 or RockShox Monarch in 3.3 or 4.2. I've found a couple of cracking deals on pretty much all of them, but I'm drowning in options!
I've got a '06 Heckler and getting steadily more and more confused about standard or high volume air cans, and the compression tune? Please help, I'd rather get the right shock to start with and not be thinking about further tuning for a while yet.

Going to x-post this in the Suspension forum too.
Thanks in advance.
Pete.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
There are a lot of variables. Your weight, home turf, and riding style also are somewhat good to mention here.

Heavier riders and those doing bigger drops/jumps are either going to be on a low volume air canister or a coil shock.

Personally I would recommend skipping the air shock all together and going straight to a coil. I have owned 4 of the 5 (or is it 6 now :) ) iterations of the bike. Every one has done better with a coil shock. The only place they feel better with an air shock is on the street or climbing a fire road. A coil really makes the SP Heckler shine. With a good tune and proper spring rate a Heckler can put up a convincing argument against all the multi-pivot bikes being an "upgrade". But I am 240lb and ride in very rocky terrain most of the time, so YMMV ;)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the DHX-C on it when I bought it, and it was fantastic, performance was easily the best, but coupled with a Marz Z1 light it brought the weight up to over 33lb. Complete overkill for the majority of the riding I do (but so worth it on a day trip in the Welsh mountains!). I know from previous bikes that air cans are a compromise in terms of outright performance, but the weight loss is worth it to me.
I ride uphills for the downs, the more tech the better. In this part of the world the trails are rooty and loamy rather than technical. But I also do regular rides with a club and most of those rides aren't that technical, just fast paced and a lighter rig would make a big difference on those rides.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This past season I replaced my Progressive 5th Element coil on my 04 Heckler with a 09 Fox rp23, standard order, wow what a bike it is now. So much more responsive on the pedals and it climbs better. The bike now sits higher in it's travel and feels plusher on the downhills. The only downside is it blows through the travel on 3 foot jumps. I think the 2010 RP23 have improved on the lack of compression damping at the end of the stroke.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I had an 04 with the 5th coil. I weigh 220#. Liked the coil plushness, but never really got in the groove of setting it up. I swapped to a rp23 which came with the high volume air can, and found that I was blowing through the travel. When I added air for that reason, the small bump stunk. I was really missing my coil shock until I switched to the std air can. This allowed me to run a lower psi (better small bump) and because fo the smaller volume the psi would ramp up more as it went into its stroke. This gave me exactly what I was looking for!! better small bump (similar to my coil) and a progressive spring rate (so it didnt bottom on everything).

·
Registered
381 Posts
Leave the coil on the Heckler and look to shed weight else where. Start with some lighter wheels/tyres maybe. There are loads of threads on Hecklers with air shocks. Bottom line is the Heckler is much better with a coil - period.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Already running lightweight wheelset, fork is now 2010 Rev, and the coil is long gone. I run a Marz RocoRL air at the moment, but can't help but feel its not as good as some float/monarch equipped bikes I've ridden.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Sounds like your setup is evolving nicely. Out of the air shocks I tried on my latest Heckler the RP3 with a medium tune was decent. It still blew through travel, but rode well. I sent it off to Push Ind (not sure if that is an overseas option :( ). What I got back IMO is about the best possible air shock for a heckler. It was light, pedaled well, and sucked up DH technical like nobody's business.

I just found that when I put my tuned coil shock up against it the coil was indeed superior both up and down. For mellow trails the air will win out since it bobs less and settles into somewhat of a groove. But for the rocky trails and loose footing I deal with on every ride the coil has better traction. That said, if I were still in the redwood forests of Northern California the Push tuned air shock would rule the roost.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Rear Shox's

Hi mate just going through the same dilemmer my self but thankfully i got the air can as standard, (fox float R) and have since got a great deal on a coil (dhx 5.0) so hopfully best of both worlds. But i did have my eye longer term on this new Bos air shox which is rumered to be availible very soon from http://www.r53engineering.com/ in the uk no info other than that but going by there other shocks could be a great shock for any bike.
I will be keeping my eye out for info on it with interested .
Good luck with your choice's only other comment would if fox get it from tftuned and get it pushed for you and your single pivot heckler which is what i will be doing with the float in the spring.
Bat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.