Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to get a new crankset. I'm currently using a modified 2x9 40/27 XTR975 crankset and experience a LOT of chainsuck problems. It's been like that from when the chainrings (FRM) where new.

I'd like to try X0 or XX 2x10 (or maybe start with 2x9 us a budget option).

According to SC I'll have to go with the 166 q-factor.

Is it OK to use the 42/28 set-up or will it lead to frame clearence problems?
Where I live you sometimes can't avoid in muddy conditions.
Or should I choose the 39/26?

I'm a bit worried that the 39 will be a bit small (seems also 12-36 is easier to find than 11-36), but at the same time the 28 maybe a bit big if coupled with a 34 cassette (with a 36-tooth it will be perfect).

Another option would be the XTR985. Anyone tried the 2x10 set-up with success?

Any suggestions from riders with experience from X0, XX or XTR985 set-ups would be highly appreciated.

Cheers, Hans

·
Registered
383 Posts
The XX and X0 cranksets are both awesome. Fast shifting, smooth and reliable. If weight isn't such an issue, then I would go X0. If you are a weight weenie, then go XX. In terms of tooth size, if you currently use your granny gear a lot, then maybe consider the 39-26. If you don't use the granny gear much, then you would be fine with the 42-28. If you decide to do full 2x10, then go with the XX or X0 (XG-1080) cassettes. You can get both of them in an 11-36 tooth setup. I am currently building a trail/all-mountain bike with a full X0 2x10 setup. I have ridden the XX and X0, and love both. Weight isn't such an issue for me, and money is, plus the X0 stuff looks bada$$. If I were building an XC/race bike, then I would be doing full XX. Hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've got the 166 qf 39 x 26 Sram XX crankset on my Xcc with an 11-36 cassette. I've never wished for a bigger ring. I do have problems, though, with the chain jumping off the largest ring at times in faster, rougher terrain. I'm not sure if a narrower qf crankset would solve this or not.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
botinjb said:
I've got the 166 qf 39 x 26 Sram XX crankset on my Xcc with an 11-36 cassette. I've never wished for a bigger ring. I do have problems, though, with the chain jumping off the largest ring at times in faster, rougher terrain. I'm not sure if a narrower qf crankset would solve this or not.
What RD do you use?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm running XX derailleurs. I'm contemplating switching to a 1 x 10 this season due to the chain jump issue, though maybe I'd be losing my chain with the single ring, too. I've got a MRP 1x guide I was thinking about using.

·
Registered
287 Posts
zauberer said:
Don't worry!:cool:

The crank arms are perfectly centered, if you put (as usual for 73mm BB) one 2mm plastic washer on the drive side BB-cup.
So, let me get this straight. You're saying the only thing keeping SC from recommending to me anything other than a 50mm chainline gruppo is a 2mm washer? I'd love to believe it's that easy, because I hate my current 3x10 setup.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Perhaps SC hasn't updatet their F.A.Q.s about the crank recommendations after XTR 985 came on the market?
I don't know.:confused:
All I can say is that the 40/28 XTR works without any problems on my Blur XC 2010.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.