Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Which 29er wheel build?

778 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  29Inches 
#1 ·
I am presently running King/UST Mavic 823s on my small wheeled FS bike. I really like them. I have ordered a full rigid Walt SS 29er as my first 29er. I am looking for suggestions for a wheel build with durability as my primary concern. I will run a 36h hub set and want the capacity to make 3-4 foot drops without any worries. Any thought/suggestions? Thanks

#2 ·
My first 29er wheels were built for strength...

I live near WebCyclery so i had MeanTodd build up the wheels for my rigid Vulture.
We went with Paul disc hubs, Sun Rynolite 36h (27mm) polished rims, allow nips , Dt 14/15 spkes, three cross.
I bought these as my bomber wheels and plan to get a lighter set for racing later in the season. I like the width of these rims for running wider tires, 2.3 Exi's and 2.1 Ignitors.
So far so good, they are holding up after three months and a lot of riding with tubes and people have commented on the nice shiny rims...
Jefe'

#3 ·
I read butted spokes were more durable than straight

I read butted spokes were more durable than straight-Yeah I didn't believe it but then they went on to say that most of the time they break on the ends and the butted spokes allowed a little "give" in the middle to save some stress on the ends and they actually ended up more durable. Not stronger but more durable. That made sense to me.

I also heard that 32 is more durable than 36 due to the harmonics of 4 pairs of 8 vs. 4 pairs of 9. This I did not understand and went with 36 spokes on my latest wheels (well, the builder did, I didn't make'em).

#4 ·
Helibee said:
Any thought/suggestions? Thanks
This are kings, rhynolites 32 hole. No problems ever. Should meet your 'drop' requirement :)... If your going to buy new Kings, look at Hadleys.

The Chris Holm's rim look promising also, but I haven't heard any definite reviews good or bad.

#5 ·
Fastskiguy said:
I read butted spokes were more durable than straight
<snip>
Not stronger but more durable.
I can attest to this. I've been building my own wheels for <mumble> years and since I switched to tripple swaged spokes (DT Swiss Alpine_III) my wheels have improved 200%.
They stay in true for just about ever, can hanlde much harder landings without taco'ing, and build up tighter, easier.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.