Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for decent hardtail for under $1000....new or used is fine. I plan on riding mostly singletrack so no big drops or anything. Any help is appreciated! I'm 6'2" 215lbs if that helps. I don't plan on doing any races or anything...just riding the trails with friends on the weekends.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone? I rode a 29er the other day and did not like it. I couldn't flick it around like I could my old 26". So as far as that goes, is there a better 26" hardtail under $1000 than the rockhopper pro?

·
Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
651 Posts
I'm 6'2" ~195lbs w/ a 32.5" inseam and have a 2009 RH Comp Disc I bought new. It's maybe just a tad too big for me in reach w/ the stock stem and standover clearance leaves a little to be desired, but the 19" felt a little too small when I bought the bike. A 20" would probably have been perfect if they made one. It's served me pretty well as it is though.

$550 is probably a fairly OK price for the frame and component package on the Pro if everything is in decent shape. Not a spectacular deal, but I wouldn't consider it a ripoff.

I'd see if you can get a ride on it and see how it feels.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply. The bike I was looking at just sold tonight. My preference would be to spend $700 for a 1-2 year old bike if that's possible. I just want the best bike I can buy in that price range. What I really need are ideas of what I can get around that...I'm hoping for a $1500 hardtail that has a season on it.

·
Still using dork disk.
304 Posts
KCKS said:
Thanks for the reply. The bike I was looking at just sold tonight. My preference would be to spend $700 for a 1-2 year old bike if that's possible. I just want the best bike I can buy in that price range. What I really need are ideas of what I can get around that...I'm hoping for a $1500 hardtail that has a season on it.
Keep your eyes on Craigslist in your town and any large city within reasonable driving distance. I've tried to buy used when purchasing my last two bikes (HT in 2006 and FS in 2010), but ended up buying new each time because I couldn't find what I liked on the used market.

Ryan

·
Truly Doneski
541 Posts
You're in for a lot more waiting and frustration buying a used bike. If you have a budget of up to 1000, you can get a pretty nice new hardtail for that price. You should go to the LBS and ride a bunch of bikes in your price range and see what you like. Talking to some people working there will probably also help narrow things down.

I also wouldn't count out 29er completely, you're tall. Some 29ers handle better than others, so it would be worth at least trying another IMO.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'm personally very interested in Kona's Steely. There aren't many opinions out there on the bike yet, though. It's supposed to be a cx/dirtjump hybrid, leaning towards cross-country, and I HAVE heard good things from some people who own it/ a guy i know as well.

maybe if you have a dealer with one in stock you can go check it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.