Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay after the last 2 years of my 5' 105lbs girl friend riding and not getting better. and her always complaining of not "feeling" like she is control of the bike, we decided to take a look at smaller bikes for her.

(right now she is on a 26" wheel hardtail giant that she bought a few years ago for about 600 bucks.)

we found the SPECIALIZED HARDROCK GROMROCK DISC 24 and the LBS and she loved the size of it. it was a 12.5 frame.

my question is: are there any other and better 24" wheeled mtb. specifically one that comes with better components. the ones i am finding seem to come with low low end stuff on them.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Carver makes a 24" specific bike. Check 'em out at bikeman.com. The biggest issue with 24" wheeled bikes, is that they're made for kids, are generally really cheap, and consequently, really heavy. Not something you want to put under a buck-0-five rider. You don't want her bike to weigh a quarter of what she weighs, right?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
~martini~ said:
Carver makes a 24" specific bike. Check 'em out at bikeman.com. The biggest issue with 24" wheeled bikes, is that they're made for kids, are generally really cheap, and consequently, really heavy. Not something you want to put under a buck-0-five rider. You don't want her bike to weigh a quarter of what she weighs, right?
nope i want the bike to weigh as light as possible. but our budget is under a grand. getting a hardtail xc bike that is only 10 to 15 percent of her own body is weight isnt even possible.

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,761 Posts
Terry

They make women's specific bikes.
I just built my wife a 24" wheeled bike using one of their frames. Triple butted Tange tubing, the frame/fork is about as light as any of the high end steel frames ever made.

Good 24" rims (32 hole anyway) and tires are hard to find...lightweight tires espicially!
Also there are 3 different 24" 'standards' (540mm, 520mm, 507mm) so beware matching tires, rims, and frame.

With better wheels and tires this bike would probably be sub 22lbs.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shayne said:
They make women's specific bikes.
I just built my wife a 24" wheeled bike using one of their frames. Triple butted Tange tubing, the frame/fork is about as light as any of the high end steel frames ever made.

Good 24" rims (32 hole anyway) and tires are hard to find...lightweight tires espicially!
Also there are 3 different 24" 'standards' (540mm, 520mm, 507mm) so beware matching tires, rims, and frame.

With better wheels and tires this bike would probably be sub 22lbs.
wow, sub 22 would be great. she would prolly be alot more confident and have more fun riding then she does now.

which frame did you say you used?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.