Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The choices are:

Trek Fuel Ex Jr $1979.99 Privacy information ? Trek Bicycle

Norco Fluid 4.3 $1485 https://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/trail/fluid/fluid-43/

Transition Ripcord $1699 https://www.transitionbikes.com/2015/Bikes_Ripcord.cfm

Commencal Supreme 24 $2045 Supreme 24 | Commencal 2015

Lil Shredder Phenom $3495 Kids DH Bike | Lil Shredder Phenom | Lil Shredder Bikes

Propain Yuma $1875 Youth bike YUMA DH / PROPAIN Bikes

Specialized Camber Grom $2200 Specialized Bicycle Components

Kona Stinky 24 $2500 (?) KONA BIKES | 2015 BIKES | KIDS' | STINKY 24

If I've missed any let me know.

Now imagine money, isn't no object and rules out the Lil Shredder. Which bike would you go for?

I still can't afford any of them, but I can dream...

***edited to add the Kona***

·
Registered
93 Posts
Went with the Norco. My kid is happy with it and her older sister used it for the first DH race of the season since her bike was not quite ready.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I like what the Propain and the Specialized Camber Grom have to offer as far as upgrading to 26" wheels. I know it doesn't do much to alter the geometry, but it buys you another year or two IMO. The propain is also offered in DH and Enduro setups.

I think that price you quoted on the Propain is in Euro though....pretty sure its just over 2k in the US dollar. But I've been wrong before...

That being said...I REALLY like the looks of the Little Shredder (obviously), the Commencal, and the Propain the best. I'd feel bad telling my 10yo to pedal uphill with them though.

·
Registered
9,140 Posts
Something about that Transition makes me think that would be good pick for my son.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The price in Euros is 1649 for the DH version.

I really like the Propain, and as you say you can upgrade it to 26"

I am looking for something that can be pedalled uphill too - my son has a 2007 Norco B-line which weighs 15kg+ and is not a good bike for pedalling!

The Transition looks totally awesome too. Though my son's Norco has 140mm travel and I think he would be sad to go down to 100mm ;)

·
Registered
165 Posts
You forgot the Kona Stinky 24 in your overview. My 12 year old now rides a 24" Kona Kula with the front suspension upgraded to a 26" RockShox 100 mm. I have asked my LBS to let me know when he has a Camber Grom in his store to check it out. It does seem the chain stays are very long on that one though. From what I've seen and read the Ripcord does look great...

Kind regards,

Clemens

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
The thing about getting the ones that convert to 26 inch wheels is that the chainstays are very long for a 24 inch bike. To me, if you're the kind of dad that is going to spend that kind of money on your kids bike, do it right, get a purpose built 24 with the geo that should be on a 24 inch bike.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The thing about getting the ones that convert to 26 inch wheels is that the chainstays are very long for a 24 inch bike. To me, if you're the kind of dad that is going to spend that kind of money on your kids bike, do it right, get a purpose built 24 with the geo that should be on a 24 inch bike.
The rear suspension arm is changed out on the Propain with the upgrade kit.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
The rear suspension arm is changed out on the Propain with the upgrade kit.
It's just a drop outr change, not the complete chainstay.
It still starts with a 423mm CS, there are 29ers FS bikes with shorter, so I still think that's a long CS for a kids 24 inch wheeled bike.

·
Registered
153 Posts
It's just a drop outr change, not the complete chainstay.
It still starts with a 423mm CS, there are 29ers FS bikes with shorter, so I still think that's a long CS for a kids 24 inch wheeled bike.
Damn. I was under the impression that it came with a shorter chain stay with the 24s.

·
Registered
153 Posts
There are so few decent kids bike options out there....we should have a sticky with the spec/geo of each one in this forum for quick reference.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yeah I did think the chainstays looked long on the Propain.

Sorry for missing out the Stinky!

My 9yo loved the stinky last year at the bike park. It's so heavy though....I'm not sure you could lighten it enough to make it usable for anything but DH.

I'd like to hear from those that think you could though, because I can get last year's Stinky dirt cheap.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
My 9yo loved the stinky last year at the bike park. It's so heavy though....I'm not sure you could lighten it enough to make it usable for anything but DH.

I'd like to hear from those that think you could though, because I can get last year's Stinky dirt cheap.
I had a Kona Shred 2.0 and looked at the 2.4 before buying the Marin. I personally just think Kona builds a beefy frame for their kids line. I really don't think you're going to get a Stinky to be as light as some of the others.

If you can fins a used Scott RC, those can built pretty light.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had a Kona Shred 2.0 and looked at the 2.4 before buying the Marin. I personally just think Kona builds a beefy frame for their kids line. I really don't think you're going to get a Stinky to be as light as some of the others.

If you can fins a used Scott RC, those can built pretty light.
I picked up a 2007 (Edit:2006) Stinky 24 for my son just before Chistmas and have been making a few changes to lighten it up. it's now just under 30 lbs and I may be able to shave a bit more off. Not super light but much better than stock....

*update- just finished setting up his new wheels (ACE20/Novatec hubs) ghetto tubeless and it's down to 28.4 lbs on a bathroom scale not much more in major weight savings to be found I don't think. Have swapped the wheels/tires, cranks, fork, shock, and brakes.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I picked up a 2007 Stinky 24 for my son just before Chistmas and have been making a few changes to lighten it up. it's now just under 30 lbs and I may be able to shave a bit more off. Not super light but much better than stock....

*update- just finished setting up his new wheels (ACE20/Novatec hubs) ghetto tubeless and it's down to 28.4 lbs on a bathroom scale not much more in major weight savings to be found I don't think. Have swapped the wheels/tires, cranks, fork, shock, and brakes.
That's about what I figured you'd get out of the stinky. That thing is a tank with stock config. 28.4...how does it pedal for a kid? No change to the gearing?

·
Registered
30 Posts
That's about what I figured you'd get out of the stinky. That thing is a tank with stock config. 28.4...how does it pedal for a kid? No change to the gearing?
Pedals great for him at 9 years old- kept the stock 2x setup (22/32) and he pedals it just fine... after he rides for a while I might look at going 1x if he isn't using the granny ring which so far he isn't. Might drop close to another pound without the shifter/derailleur/chainring but I would need to add some sort of chain guide.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Didn't realize that this kind of market existed. How heavy are these bikes? For my youngster, weight and low gearing will matter most probably. The FS aspect is fun... I'm partial to all the Horst-Link versions and their derivatives ... but I suspect any FS design may likely add weight to the setup versus a hard-tail. Basically, I'm looking for a weight-weenie 24". Any thoughts and recommendations on this?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Didn't realize that this kind of market existed. How heavy are these bikes? For my youngster, weight and low gearing will matter most probably. The FS aspect is fun... I'm partial to all the Horst-Link versions and their derivatives ... but I suspect any FS design may likely add weight to the setup versus a hard-tail. Basically, I'm looking for a weight-weenie 24". Any thoughts and recommendations on this?
You're not going to find a weight weenie FS 24....at least one that is mass produced. Most of, if not all, the bikes in this thread are going to weigh north of 29lbs. Some, like the Stinky, are probably going to be closer to 35lbs.

That being said, the trend towards building high end kids bikes likely means that we'll be seeing lighter options in the near future. Major players like Trek jumping into the fold will put pressure on the rest of the market. Hopefully.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts