Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last summer we picked up a Fox 32 Float for my wife's XS Motolite. She weighs 105-110 lbs. Problem is, we can't get the friggin Float to work with her weight.

At the minimum air pressure required to extend the fork to full travel (unweighted), she uses only about 2/3 of the travel - even on lift assist ski hill terrain.

Someone told me these forks just don't work for riders under 125lbs.

Soooo, we've been looking at the RockShox Revelation. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Revelation with Dual air *should* be tunable enough to work for her, but I haven't ridden one.

With the Float, did you have the compression all the way out and it still would not compress? (assuming the rebound is set fairly quick too)

·
Dirt Diva Little h
540 Posts
Rock shox 09' or mod vanilla

127# have tried most forks out there.
currently own:
Totem
pike u-turn
reba team
fox vanilla 130mm
fox vanilla 140mm
fox Van 36
fox Talas 36
Fox 40
Marzocchi 888
Marzocchi Z1
Marzocchi am1
others:
fox rlc 100mm sold
talas 130mm sold

Sold the talas and went to a 05' vanilla 130mm lightest spring and could get close to full travel. Bought a vanilla 140mm kept the springs from the 130mm and made a pvc spacer. Absolutely awesome!!! I use the meduim or light spring from the 05' with the spacer and I actually bottome the fork once and use all the travel regularly. I own a pike and a reba. 07' Pike would not rebound correctly with the apropriate sag due to the low air pressure needed , 08' Reba - would rebound with correct sag but too progressive would use only 75-80mm of 100mm of travel even on 2"-3" drops. I would wait unitl the 09 reba comes out because they addressed the progressiveness of the dual air and should be much better. Also changing the oil viscosity helps with damping in most forks. It is a pain when the air pressure required to get proper sag hinders the rest of the forks performance that is why all of my bikes run coil front and rear. The linear rate is much better for lighter riders even thought there is a weight penalty.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

127# have tried most forks out there.

.....went to a 05' vanilla 130mm lightest spring and could get close to full travel. Bought a vanilla 140mm kept the springs from the 130mm and made a pvc spacer. Absolutely awesome!!! I use the meduim or light spring from the 05' with the spacer and I actually bottome the fork once and use all the travel regularly..... It is a pain when the air pressure required to get proper sag hinders the rest of the forks performance that is why all of my bikes run coil front and rear. The linear rate is much better for lighter riders even thought there is a weight penalty.
This sounds like an awsome setup! I'll look into it. The weight penalty of a spring shouldn't be much on these "little" forks. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
From my experiences, very light riders are way better with a coil fork then air. For a 110lbs rider I've had success tweaking a Judy, Atom, Psylo and AM1. However, I've tried every trick in the book with Fox air forks and it never worked fine.

So in my opinion, go with a coil/oil fork that is marketed to have a spring for light riders. Your wife is going to be ever grateful! :D

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BanzaiRider said:
....I've tried every trick in the book with Fox air forks and it never worked fine....
Thanks BR. Have you tried the following:

"As to the negative spring; when you take apart the air spring leg, you'll notice two little coils under the travel stop. Remove the lighter of the two coils and see how it will behave when you reassemble and air it up. Removing one coil works only for very light riders, but 105lbs may be light enough."

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Rollin'in'Zona said:
Thanks BR. Have you tried the following:

"As to the negative spring; when you take apart the air spring leg, you'll notice two little coils under the travel stop. Remove the lighter of the two coils and see how it will behave when you reassemble and air it up. Removing one coil works only for very light riders, but 105lbs may be light enough."
No, sorry, didn't try that trick. I have to admit I have a very negative prejudice on air forks to start with. I'm a coil fork type of guy so when I started having trouble setting up a Fox Talas fork it didn't take me much encouragement to switch over to coil/oil butter smooth performance! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.