Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my '06 A3, but have thought about replacing the stock fork with a better 100mm fork and also see if it slacks the head angle a bit. I like the tight steering, but wouldn't mind a little relaxing of the responsiveness with turns. I need to stay on a budget, but want something that works well. I ride on North GA mtn. rooty red clay trails. Up and down, very little rock, with fast and twisty.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'd go with a Reba, which you can normally find going on sale at the various online retailers.

They're efficient, stiff, highly tunable, excellent pedalling platform/lockout and priced reasonably (all the reasons why I'll never buy a Fox Fork again!).

IMO, there's no point in upgrading your fork if you can't spend a decent amount. Otherwise you'll be throwing money down the drain because sooner or later you'll want a fork that can do more, meaning another upgrade.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I got a a Float 100mm

I run a Fox standard Float 100mm and its cool - been running for 18 months and not serviced it yet, its still smooth and rattle free.

Lifted a Marzhocchi Corsa 100mm off the shelf of the LBS yesterday - thats a nice and very light fork, lighter than my Float and probably stiffer too....loved it!!

If you are on a tighter budget try a Reba SL or Race - tried a Race and they work well too for good money and light weight.

For reference the Reba is a taller fork than the Fox for the same 100mm travel, not much maybe 5mm, but enough to notice. I think the Fox is low for a 100mm fork but one thing assured, once you go 100mm on a 'A' - It opens it up to so much more riding fun on trails, I dont use mine for racing at all just nice long techy trail use, for me - light weight is still 'king o da hill'

·
Registered
30 Posts
What about the Manitou R7? There seem to be some pretty screaming deals available on the 2006 models as of late.

·
TranceX Rider
948 Posts
RS Reba

Might suggest a Reba Team... post-05 model since I like more their decals. Much more subtle than my '05 Team. Played with it by giving it approximately a 15mm sag. Sweet ride! :cornut:

But have been contemplating, getting a Pace RC39 C-type. Been reading a lot of its weight: just weighing measly at 3lbs. Big weight savings!!! But the Weight-strength ratio? :bluefrown:

Just have to hear from you, Guys... Anyone in the know. If this fork's like the Sid that would eventually be flexy when paired up with discs? Due to it 28.6mm stanchions... Aside from having carbon sliders...:shocked: If it would be of any help: I'm a 160lbs (already geared to the teeth) rider who do XC & light trailriding. No jumps. Anything more... :idea:

TIA! :rockon:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey Captain (or anyone else),

Can you tell me what the difference is between the 2006 R7 Elite and 2006 R7 Platinum? Is it just the SPV feature, or is there more to the story? Thanks!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have been thinking about changing out my 80mm Fox fork for 100 to add a little comfort on long xc fun rides. I am worried though how the mismatch of 100 up front and 3.5" in the shock will effect the handling. Does anyone have any info on this? I do race this bike so this kind of worries me:skep:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I posed the same question to the lead tech at my local bike shop and he mentioned that a 100mm travel fork up front won't be a huge mismatch for a 3.5" travel shock. Anything more than that isn't recommended. I will be quick to add that I do not have first hand experience riding a setup like that, but he does. Hope that helps.

·
TranceX Rider
948 Posts
rocdog said:
I have been thinking about changing out my 80mm Fox fork for 100 to add a little comfort on long xc fun rides. I am worried though how the mismatch of 100 up front and 3.5" in the shock will effect the handling. Does anyone have any info on this? I do race this bike so this kind of worries me:skep:
Here: read the Update: Giant responds

Personally, I've been using 100 up front for about 7months... No issues yet. Handles the rough & tumble of our trails here. :thumbsup:

Thanks!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Steve Theodore said:
Hey Captain (or anyone else),

Can you tell me what the difference is between the 2006 R7 Elite and 2006 R7 Platinum? Is it just the SPV feature, or is there more to the story? Thanks!
You might have to research that one as I don't know about the Elite. I know the old manitous (even top of the line scareb) used cheap internals and seals. The R7 Platinum has corrected all their old problems and like I said, it is very stiff laterally for such a light weight fork.

·
Registered
10 Posts
shocks????

hi Im the poor cousin from africa building up a anthem so far the guys posting on this site have helped me a lot welldone guys.
now I ned forks cant afford fox. found some manatou r7 platinums for $250 and need toknow has any one used these the one s i have seen ar 100mm the way i need to go .
and lastly has anyone seen a good price on an rp3 rear shock. and what about the manatou rear shock how good is it. at presant i have the giant special the bike came with
tks
mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.