Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think Yeti needs to step up its carbon offerings. As it stands now, they have exactly one carbon bike (SB95c) that most people looking for a full suss bike (which has too be the vast chunk of the overall market) would consider. ONE... That's not a good place to be if you want to remain competitive.

I'm not really counting the SB66c, as its sales figures are almost non-existent and 26ers are really becoming a dying breed.

SB75 may be a great bike (and it's selling like hotcakes for all I know), but at 7.75lbs frame only, it's a bit of a pig. The frame is actually 1lbs heavier than the 575 that has more travel... We need carbon - yesterday.

I believe in this day and age you need to have every bike - day one, available in both alu and carbon. If you can't do that, then you launch CARBON first. I appreciate that Yeti is a smaller company and development and tooling for two frame materials is expensive, etc. but that's where the market is headed.

While we're at it and speaking of resource allocation, costs, etc. - do we really need THREE versions of both the SB66 (none of which is selling well) and the SB95? I'm not a marketing person (I work on Wall Street) but when I go to Yeti's web page, I see three versions of both the 66 and 95 - they're not even grouped by the bike model... Talk about confusing your customer.

I understand you want to attack every niche in the market but a basic (and simple) strategy of an alu version and carbon version for each bike would serve you better.

I'm writing this because I love Yeti and want them to be successful (which they obviously are). Giving me (and others) more reasons to buy their bikes wouldn't hurt...

·
Registered
509 Posts
SB66c is selling better than you think, especially with the nice discount from competitive cycle right now.

Everybody will be back on 26ers when they figure out that their brand new shiny 27.5 isn't as jump-able or playful as a 26er, but we won't beat that dead horse too much ;)

Grab the hugely discounted 26er carbon bikes while you can, or get a 29er for more cross country stuff.

·
Rock n' Roller
270 Posts
26ers a dying breed? I won't get into that right now, but I can't say that I agree with you there...again, dead horse. Though I do love the 650b hype that made my dream bike affordable. If you guys could keep it up for a bit longer, I might just buy another...and another...and resell them to you when the need to play over comes the need to own the next marketing ploy :thumbsup:

There are several other threads that have already discussed this in great detail along with several "hints" from JP that something snazzy is in the works and will be revealed within the year. Things may happen slowly, but they are happening. Personally, I think too many bike makers out there are following trends and rushing to get bikes out as opposed to taking their time and actually creating something with personality, style, and creativity.

I would rather Yeti take their time and put out an amazing bike than rush into the carbon craze and put out something that is sub-super bike. Believe it or not, carbon does not instantly make a bike better - there are things, like geometry, components, etc. to consider. Be patient. It's coming, and when it comes, it's going to be awesome.

·
> /dev/null 2&>1
3,824 Posts
I was thinking the same thing JTB.

I frequent two mfctr's forums: This one and Pivot's. Pivot forum is BLOWIN UP about the Mach 6, which is exclusively carbon. It's died down a little now but at one point I counted 22 of the first page of 25 threads were about the Mach 6. I had to create a thread called 'Post anything but Mach 6'. This forum, and the SB75, doesn't have half excitement that the Mach 6 has. I think Yeti has missed the boat by not releasing the SB75 in carbon from the get go, or even in exclusively carbon.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree with JTB - the lack of carbon models especially in 650b and the delay in their released compared to competitors is resulting in lost sales and market share for Yeti.

The thing that makes Yeti's so great is that they do things very well so no doubt they are ensuring that they're carbon versions of the SB75 and SB76 (650b replacement?) are spot on before release.

Unfortunately there are a number of competitors who are producing fantastic AL/Carbon 650b models - Yeti seems to be running behind the times.

Unless a customer is a Yeti loyalist they will choose elsewhere with the lack of availability.

I love Yeti's as they have a certain appeal that goes beyond the mere fabric of their construction so I hope they release their new carbon 650b's quickly as I'm sure we're all looking forward to riding them.

·
Chilling out
6,030 Posts
FWIW,

Yeti may be in fact selling at the level they want to and making the bank that they intend.

They've exhibited no interest in growing to the level of SpecialEd or Trek, probably not even as large as Santa Cruz.

It's a choice, it's not required that they go big in that way.

I think they've made it pretty clear that they don't care much about trying to capture a huge portion of the bike sales market.

They care more about building bikes their way, to their own target market. If someone isn't in the same point of view as them already they're not even a prospective customer.

I don't know ANY of this for fact or from any Yeti employee talking to me personally, it's just what I gather from the behavior of the company that I can see in public (forum, web site, press releases, race support).

·
Int'l Sales - PIVOT
778 Posts
Patience, guys.

I've said it (a million times) before, and I'll say it again: we're proud of our current offerings as a very versatile lineup of bikes, but if you don't see something in there that suits your style, you have two choices: 1.) Leave the Tribe and roll the dice with another MFR who has a bike that meets your requirements (there are tons of great bikes out there) or, 2.) Stay patient, and trust that we're working our asses off to get some amazing new stuff to you very soon.

While we'd hate to lose customers to other brands, we'd rather see you guys out riding than getting bummed out with us as we painstakingly make sure all our new stuff meets the standards we require to put our name on the down tube.

Y'all will likely be pretty happy in a few months' time.

JP

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I'm just hoping the sb66 comes back when Graves wins the EWS this year. Would that be the first time a discontinued bike wins an overall title? Yeti could be on the forefront of the 26" is better for enduro campaign when that happens.

Yeah, I know, wishful thinking, but a company could make a case for 26" being advantageous for a 6" bike. I thought Specialized was going to be that company, but even they have capitulated to market trends. Oh well, I'll be dropping out of the new bike market for while until I see a company stick to their guns and offer a model they feel is best instead of designing something around 27" wheels whether they think it's better or worse just because that's where the market is going.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I'm just hoping the sb66 comes back when Graves wins the EWS this year. Would that be the first time a discontinued bike wins an overall title? Yeti could be on the forefront of the 26" is better for enduro campaign when that happens.

Yeah, I know, wishful thinking, but a company could make a case for 26" being advantageous for a 6" bike. I thought Specialized was going to be that company, but even they have capitulated to market trends. Oh well, I'll be dropping out of the new bike market for while until I see a company stick to their guns and offer a model they feel is best instead of designing something around 27" wheels whether they think it's better or worse just because that's where the market is going.
Have you ridden 27.5?

Certainly there is a ton of buzz and marketing thrown into the 27.5 craze. For some types of riding, it's a pretty killer option.

·
Rock n' Roller
270 Posts
I think it's awesome that there are so many choices for riders - wheel size included. What gets me cranky is when we talk of the "death" of the 26er. The 26er does not have to die for 27.5 to exist. They both serve a purpose and are both different bikes made for different things. I was pretty bummed that the sb66 was discontinued, but at the same token, the marketing hype for 650b allow my husband to get his sb66c for a steal.

I have a sneaky suspicision that once the marketing hype dies down, there will be a 26er resurgence.

Slimat99, have you demoed the Evil Uprising? Pretty amazing 26er. It's getting rave reviews and might be the start of that resurgence.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Have you ridden 27.5?

Certainly there is a ton of buzz and marketing thrown into the 27.5 craze. For some types of riding, it's a pretty killer option.
yeah, but just on a pump track. I'm kind of playing devils advocate. For sure there is a ton of 27" marketing. So much money has been invested I fear there's no going back. I very well may be forced to ride 27" wheels. That fact upsets me because we should have a choice. Since I haven't given 27" enough trail time to truly from an opinion I may end up liking it more than 26? it's just the way things are going we may not have a choice and I'm not cool with that. I'll vote for 3 wheel size options with my pocket book. Since there are few new 26" options I'll look to the used market until all this marketing hype dies down and more long term info is in. Let's not forget last year 1st and 2nd in the EWS was taken on 26" bikes against not shortage of top talent on faster bigger wheels. This year will be so slanted towards 27 we won't have a good comparison which is a shame. I feel there's no better way to quantify equipment advantages than racing. Of course fun factor can't be quantified so ride what you like. Let's just hope we have the choice to do that.

·
Registered
545 Posts
This makes me pumped to hear. Keep making rad bikes Yeti... I'd love to be back on one again.[/QUOTE

If I was a retailer in CO. WA, OR, WY, MT this statement would entice me to cancel half of my Yeti order.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If I was a retailer in CO. WA, OR, WY, MT this statement would entice me to cancel half of my Yeti order.
I just ordered my new 575 a couple days ago. Thing is, there's always something newer/better on the horizon. At some point you just have to get in the game. I got enough mileage out of my old 575 that I felt now was the time and the new 575 was my best option. Maybe something comes out in a few months that I would have gone with if it were available today. But I won't regret it because I'm sure I will be having too much fun on my new ride to think about it.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I just ordered my new 575 a couple days ago. Thing is, there's always something newer/better on the horizon. At some point you just have to get in the game. I got enough mileage out of my old 575 that I felt now was the time and the new 575 was my best option. Maybe something comes out in a few months that I would have gone with if it were available today. But I won't regret it because I'm sure I will be having too much fun on my new ride to think about it.
I'm looking at it from retailers perspective, not so much a consumer one. The bike season is just starting in the mtn states and retailers are just getting shipments of 2014 Yeti bikes. Most of the retailers I have spoken with bought into the 650b bikes as that is the direction the bike market is being driven. So... before the retailer can get the bikes out of the box Yeti informally announces they will have something new to offer in a "few months". Now you have a number of forum users stoked about what is coming in a few months and not what is in the shop now.
Having JP check in on the forum is awesome and his insights to technical questions and the warranty concerns that pop up is certainly valuable to all who post on the forum, and I truly thank him for that. I would leave the new product and vague release date posts until July when Yeti's customers (retailers) have had a chance to sell through their inventories. If I was a Yeti dealer I would certainly ask that of them.

·
Registered
509 Posts
This pretty much sums it up for me. Personally I would never buy a first model year production bike since there are always going to be some issues or even a recall. I like to let other people and their money be the testers for those first few years. In the case of that 575, that platform is pretty tried and true, not to mention simple/low maintenance. With that being said, i got a good friend looking to get an SB66 just because of the deep discount right now from the 650b hype.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think there are several types of customers. Many would step into a shop and buy what's available in front of them.
Others have the luxury of riding the hell out of their Yeti's until the new stuff come out and plan for a new build.
Yeti might face delays in production like the SB66. They might release early or late. No one knows. Some people won't wait.

·
Int'l Sales - PIVOT
778 Posts
Good god, man. I've been on these forums for 15+ years and have seriously never seen anyone so eager to look for the down side of every possible situation. I sincerely hope you're just trolling and having a private laugh to yourself and not honestly this negative about everything in your life. That would be a major bummer.

In any event, let me be perfectly clear: the models we're planning to release in the coming months are not meant to replace or compete with anything that we're actively selling. They're merely meant to round out our line even more and offer other options to super choosy consumers and dealers - different intended purposes, price points, constructions, geometry, etc.

Thanks for your interest guys; before this thread spins down the toilet like a few others have recently, I'm going to punch out and see if I can offer help in some other more constructive conversations.

JP

·
Int'l Sales - PIVOT
778 Posts
I just ordered my new 575 a couple days ago. Thing is, there's always something newer/better on the horizon. At some point you just have to get in the game.
This pretty much sums it up for me. ... In the case of that 575, that platform is pretty tried and true, not to mention simple/low maintenance.
I think there are several types of customers. Many would step into a shop and buy what's available in front of them.
Others have the luxury of riding the hell out of their Yeti's until the new stuff come out and plan for a new build.
Kudos guys. Positive rep all the way around.

JP

·
Registered
545 Posts
Good god, man. I've been on these forums for 15+ years and have seriously never seen anyone so eager to look for the down side of every possible situation. I sincerely hope you're just trolling and having a private laugh to yourself and not honestly this negative about everything in your life. That would be a major bummer.

In any event, let me be perfectly clear: the models we're planning to release in the coming months are not meant to replace or compete with anything that we're actively selling. They're merely meant to round out our line even more and offer other options to super choosy consumers and dealers - different intended purposes, price points, constructions, geometry, etc.

Thanks for your interest guys; before this thread spins down the toilet like a few others have recently, I'm going to punch out and see if I can offer help in some other more constructive conversations.

JP
Thanks for the kind words JP. When it comes to supporting dealers in a increasingly competitive market based on discretionary income I do choose to protect my dealers where I can. Yes JP you have found my secret shame. It pisses me off when vendors treat their dealers this way.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts