Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Oregon mtbrs! I live in Maryland and am looking to haul 3 of my friends out west for some epic riding. We are intrigued by your great state as a destination to do this. We are looking for 3 good days of riding within 60 sq miles - single tracks, climbing, downhills, etc.... On a technical scale, we are about a 7 out of 10.

Also, bonus is a great area to chill and lodge after rides with good vibe, etc.... Kind of like Asheville, NC.

We are looking to do this between March and June - what is the best time to do this?

I know this is kind of vague, but you probably get the gist - any suggestions.

Thanks - Jeff

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
From what you said above Bend will be the best place to ride and chill, but you'll be better off to come out a little later in the summer. Oakridge has some really good riding but not really a hopin place when it comes to a night life, unless you come out for MtBike Oregon. Another place to consider would be Hood River, awesome riding and an awesome place to chill.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well, If I were traveling all the way from the east coast and wanted to pack in as much as I could in three days, I'd go to Bend. With 500+ miles of single track you can put together three pretty epic days of riding. Bend is also a happening place in which to stay: groovy coffee shops and brew pubs, great restaurants and gear shops etc...

The only thing is, as mentioned previously, the best time to come is in the fall. Some years the snow sticks around until early July at higher elevations.

Oakridge has some great riding nearby but zero night life. It has one good restaurant/pub (the Trailhead Cafe) and a couple of seedy looking motels but (with apologies to anyone who lives there) is otherwise a somewhat dreary and run-down little mill town that people just drive on through to somewhere more fun...

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
There sure isn't much night life in Oakridge, but the riding is good. The trailhead is mediocre at best, but doesn't suck. The Brewer's Union is pretty good.

Your timeframe isn't exactly ideal for OR riding but June can be decent.

Brock...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Coming from the east coast, your 60 mile radius is probably different than our 60 mile radius. With ours, you can drive 60 mph for 58 of the 60 miles you would be traveling. So what I'm saying is, you may not need to limit yourself to that small of area.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow! Thanks for the quick responses! Just finished up 2 hours of nice single track at a sunny 30 degrees and came back to this feedback. Sounds like the bottom line is Bend from mid-June on OR hit MtBike Oregon, which could be very cool with all the people and shuttles, etc... I'll pass this along to the committee and we'll get the plan together. Have a great weekend -

Jeff

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
I like Bend

Oakridge is pretty good but Bend rocks. It depends on the time of year because Bend does get Dusty. I love the Gorge but I'm biased. So many good places to ride in Oregon; however, I think Washington has better riding overall.

Jaybo

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
If you can come to Bend in September then you'll have access to the higher elevation trails (i.e., the good stuff) in addition to the lower stuff (i.e., Phil's Triangle). Plus, the weather and soil are incredible that month.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Snake Muesl said:
Forest Park.

(just to stir up some sh!t)
Hey there C,
You have me laughing out loud. Keep stirring...

As others have said, there is some great riding in the Oakridge area, but no night life.
The nearest night life is in Eugene, 45 miles to the west and where many of us who ride there a lot actually live.

I would like to spend some time in the Hood River area, but haven't done so yet. Driving through, it looks like a great place to hang, driven largely by the windsurfing crowd.

Bend is a great place to visit, it has grown tremendously from the sleepy little town it was 20+ years ago. That, of course has all sorts of implications, but not necessarily an issue for visitors.

Flaps

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
17,095 Posts
I like Whypass, which is the "secret stash" of the Disciples of Dirt.

Let us know if you want to be blindfolded and taken out there. Whypass is ~30 minutes from Eugene.

Not everyone receives this invitation -- don't discount its value.

--Sparty

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.