Registered
104 Posts
Flat out sucks!

For me the decision will come down to the:

Uzzi
Firebird
Delirium T
or the RFX

Being a current Spot owner, I would like to throw more coin Turner's way, but 2010??? Arrrgh!!! :madman:

All that 2010 number tells me is that DT is focusing on getting the DW DHR out before the DW RFX. It also tells me that his capital investment in the DW Spot and SW Sultan, in a down economy, have forced him to temporarily (2010???) postpone the release of the RFX. If only the economy were better, that would enable him to recover his upfront (R&D and Production) costs sooner and potentially move the release date of the RFX up.

Perhaps the question any potential RFX buyer should be asking themselves is, "Can I hold out that long given the competitors' offerings?" or maybe the question is, "Given the economy, will I have a job next week to support this ridiculous expensive, yet thoroughly FUN, sport?" :eek:

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
toHELLuRIDE, I presume since "gears r 4 sissys", you will be sporting a SS version of the RFX?

...but to be anxiously begging for it, rings the ultimate poseur mentality.

(else it's the obvious troll)

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lidarman said:
toHELLuRIDE, I presume since "gears r 4 sissys", you will be sporting a SS version of the RFX?

...but to be anxiously begging for it, rings the ultimate poseur mentality.

(else it's the obvious troll)
Only Half a posuer. I ride a SS/29er but split saddle time with a 2x9 6" squishy bike.

Maybe if the DW RFX pedals really good then a 1X9 DT may ne in order.

I'm stoked for this bike. Hurry Mr. Turner.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
bond007jms said:
Perhaps the question any potential RFX buyer should be asking themselves is, "Can I hold out that long given the competitors' offerings?"
Why not just wait the year and get the bike you know you really want? Or else pick up an 08 RFX? :D

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
mr bond. its true that the dhr is the bigger seller and dt has made no bones about his priorities in production here but the rfx delay has little to nuthin to do with economic changes. the design got shelved and was slated for a overhaul followed by a mid year production run. that was before the dhr proto showed a need for more tweeks putting the rfx further behind. in all the years folks have been ridin turners, i dont think anyone could say they bought a frame before it was ready.

so maybe the question is, do i sell my current bike, buy my #2 choice, than take yet another loss when the rfx comes out? tough call in these tough times. ill see what fall brings.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,817 Posts
bond007jms said:
For me the decision will come down to the:

Uzzi
Firebird
Delirium T
or the RFX

Being a current Spot owner, I would like to throw more coin Turner's way, but 2010??? Arrrgh!!! :madman:
If you are seriously considering the knolly DT, then you should consider a highline, the frames weigh almost the same (10.75 for med knolly with coil shock), and the intended usage is similer. Both allow you to pedal "up" in a very upright position, and both can be set up with 7" of travel. There are some differences, but if you're really considering a bike that heavy, the highline is a far better match for the DT than any incarnation of the RFX.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Well back in the late 07 early 08 TNT will he won't he go dwl WARs [threads] and dwl won the WAR :thumbsup:

This was one of the major reasons proposed at the time that is why it wouldn't happen so soon so major balls to do this now!

That said moved on, it takes some to do this and DT took the step probably knowing he wouldn't be able to satisfy everyone at once and everyone's wants and desire's a hard call but needed to be made, gutsy with this crowd :D

Looking at it from a not all about me focus!

I think it will be a good thing from the bikes design and application phase.
The dwl Sultan, Flux 5.Spot and DHR really are easy ones to define market is clear no brainier best area's to base everything from, new design aspect first year prod process, yadda etc!

RFX is so close to two disciplines with allot of crossover with too distinct groups at either end wanting different things!

Enforced or not, this time out I think is a good one for DT, it gives time to allow the dwl 5.Spot to settle the playing field for those with lightweight tendencies and LT forks and those with the more normal setup, how this develops over the year!

Maybe see what happens at the FR end, 09 year to see what the market wants and where its traveling, how popular Hammerschidt is in 09, and the list goes on, there's allot of melting pot idea's in the focus group and allot of serperation between people's lists.

Some are already disappointed the first gen may not see light, now we can sit on the fence see what develops out of the first dwl year and maybe something more will come from the RFX for 2010!

As others have said dosen't make ya existing RFX bad, economy doesn't do that, not much has changed to the competion to make me buy something else, there are some idea's I like out there, I like Knolly's adjust GEO on the DT replaceable dropouts adjustable CS, but not much else makes me go wow, some nice bikes sure!

Hard to buy an HL unless SH now Jay that's not a bad thing just saying, same for RFX I guess huh.!

If you have to have dwl then get a 5.Spot wack a big ta fork on there like SR, Pushwind and co have done sell it in a year ya won't have any probs selling it, [Talas, 55, Lyrik Wotan]

Spots are the most sought after year ll know that and second hand dwls by then will be snapped up at what ever prices they are then trust me, they seem to be having a blast on theirs, or like others have said pick up a second hand RFX nothing wrong with that, :thumbsup:

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,817 Posts
Still not sure what kind of bike you are looking for. The Uzzi and DT are in a league different than the Firebird, and likely the RFX when it comes out. The Uzzi and DT *can* be ridden to the top, but given a group of fairly fit riders on AM bikes, you'll be a long ways back trying to ride such a heavy and overbuilt bike, or in another sense you'll need some pretty crazy terrain to really utilize those types of bikes. There are a few people that can manhandle 45lb bikes as if they weigh 25lbs, but again given people of fairly equal fitness you'll be a long ways back, and on mild downhills it's especially frustrating because the lighter bikes are still far easier to ride faster.

In that sense, the RFX was always very popular due to it not being a big-hit type FR bike (at least in the latter years), but also being able to take a lot more abuse than an AM bike. In some sense, the RFX could always be ridden down something that seems to "require" a DH bike, but being only 6" of travel and only a bit heavier than the AM bikes, it could keep up pretty well on the uphills and flats. That's probably the primary reason I got the 6 pack, I simply need that much strength from a bike and it allows me to ride stuff that I might back away from on a lesser bike (because it would probably kill the lesser bike eventually).

The Uzzi and the Knolly on the other hand are in a class above this, where some of the rides may be shuttled, where you have big air and drops that require a pretty heavily built bike. If built to ultize the travel, then they weigh significantly more, especially when compared to an "AM" bike. If built to save weight (talas/solo air, dhx air, etc), then there isn't really much of a capability increase over something like the RFX.

You said you own a spot, and I'd say that it's fairly common for spot-owners to look at the RFX and think "well, it's only an inch more travel so it will be pretty similer". Pretty much anyone that has moved from a spot to an RFX understands how different they are in terms of use and geometry. I think there's a general tendendancy to go for "more bike" than you need, and to some extent that can be good if you are real hard on bikes, but as I always say, you really need to think about what that entails and what kind of rides you'll be taking it on. Big group rides with lots of AM bikes won't the place for an uzzi or DT, but you could obviously go out on group rides with similer types of bikes if you are of a similer fitness level. So with something like the DT, which is closest to the Highline out of turner's lineup, you understand that you'll either lug this 40lb bike everywhere because you're superman, you will do shuttling and ride it down crazy terrain, or it will sit in your garage a lot. If you're ok with that then it's probably ok. If you're looking for a bike to ride everywhere and anywhere, whether it be crazy uphill or crazy downhill, the RFX would be better IMO.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
Mr Bling said:
is there a final word on the geo?
yes. there isnt any word on the geo yet and thats final. next!

are we there yet?
are we there yet?
are we there yet?
are we there yet?
are we there yet?
are we there yet?
are we there yet?
are we there yet?
are we there yet?
are we there yet?
are we there yet?
are we there yet?
are we there yet?
are we there yet?
are we there yet?
are we there yet?
are we there yet?
are we there yet?
are we there yet?
are we there yet?
are we there yet?
are we there yet?
are we there yet?
are we there yet?
are we there yet?

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
The beauty of non DWL RFX is that the '08s are not obsolete like all the other non-DWL models. It's still state of the art. I'm glad I picked mine up just in time. It looks so fine next to the Sultan. .:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
cutthroat said:
The beauty of non DWL RFX is that the '08s are not obsolete like all the other non-DWL models. It's still state of the art. I'm glad I picked mine up just in time. It looks so fine next to the Sultan. .:thumbsup:
dude, the Sultan makes the RFX obsolete.

not

I can't tell you how happy I am on the 08 RFX. What a fun bike. So much fun I can't seem to talk myself into buying another bike.

Of course, it will be obsolete the second the '10 RFX is here. Think I can live with that. :)

OP, a better comparison might be: RFX:Endorphin.

·
It's carbon dontcha know.
4,486 Posts
cutthroat said:
cough Highline.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Agreed, the Uzzi and DT may be overkill. I won't know until I demo them. I was hoping to demo the Firebird and 2010 RFX too, but so much for the latter. If I could, I would demo a Highline too, but that really isn't in the cards either. Oh well. Time to send positive karma Dave's way to hopefully speed up the RFX development process!

Oh, and type of riding I intend to do with this new rig, the AM/FR/DH stuff (think Porc, Amasa, lift service).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.