Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
No known cure
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally got the correct size shock installed and got to take my rig out for it's maiden voyage. The bike rides like a dream but I'm not getting full travel. I cycled the rear end without the spring and I'm only getting 4.25/5.25 inches of travel. Maybe a touch more when the bumper compresses but not the 5.3/6 inches I'm supposed to be getting with a 2.25 stroke shock. I would be happy with the 5.25 but the DHX 5.0 coil is just not plush. It feels very dead. I weigh 180#s with gear and have only one turn of preload on the 550# spring. I have the bottom out feature backed all the way out and set at 75#s of pressure; the lowest allowed by Fox. Does anyone have any settup tips, help, advise? The shock is going to be sent to PUSH but since I only have two rides on the bike, and Downiville is at the end of the month, that is going to have to wait. Thanks

Attachments

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
Vader said:
I finally got the correct size shock installed and got to take my rig out for it's maiden voyage. The bike rides like a dream but I'm not getting full travel. I cycled the rear end without the spring and I'm only getting 4.25/5.25 inches of travel. Maybe a touch more when the bumper compresses but not the 5.3/6 inches I'm supposed to be getting with a 2.25 stroke shock. I would be happy with the 5.25 but the DHX 5.0 coil is just not plush. It feels very dead. I weigh 180#s with gear and have only one turn of preload on the 550# spring. I have the bottom out feature backed all the way out and set at 75#s of pressure; the lowest allowed by Fox. Does anyone have any settup tips, help, advise? The shock is going to be sent to PUSH but since I only have two rides on the bike, and Downiville is at the end of the month, that is going to have to wait. Thanks
How are you measuring the travel?

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery

·
No known cure
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ventanarama said:
How are you measuring the travel?

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
From the beginning, as soon as I hopped on the bike, the travel felt short. Way short. And the shock feels like butt. Exactly opposite from what I expected. To measure the travel, I took the spring off the shock and cycled the rear suspension with a bare axle installed in the dropouts. And with the innards of a mechanical pencil inserted in the axle, I recorded the results against a piece of drywall. Not scientific at all but it confirmed what I expected, without factoring in the amount of travel the bottoming bumper on the shaft provides when compressed, of course. Maybe I'm just used to PUSHed Vanilla RCs

·
No known cure
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Vader said:
From the beginning, as soon as I hopped on the bike, the travel felt short. Way short. And the shock feels like butt. Exactly opposite from what I expected. To measure the travel, I took the spring off the shock and cycled the rear suspension with a bare axle installed in the dropouts. And with the innards of a mechanical pencil inserted in the axle, I recorded the results against a piece of drywall. Not scientific at all but it confirmed what I expected, without factoring in the amount of travel the bottoming bumper on the shaft provides when compressed, of course. Maybe I'm just used to PUSHed Vanilla RCs
Today after decending 2800 rollercoastering feet today, with plenty of rockgardens, I've come to the conclusion that this shock is just not right for this chassis. I should't have to think about my suspension and make corrections at speed. This frame begs for a PUSHed Vanilla RC. PM me if anyone wants to trade.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
That shock has a ton of adjustments.

Vader said:
Today after decending 2800 rollercoastering feet today, with plenty of rockgardens, I've come to the conclusion that this shock is just not right for this chassis. I should't have to think about my suspension and make corrections at speed. This frame begs for a PUSHed Vanilla RC. PM me if anyone wants to trade.
Are you sure you have it dialed in right?

Dave

·
No known cure
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MightySchmoePong said:
Are you sure you have it dialed in right?

Dave
I'm pretty sure. The sag is on the money, rebound is set for trail riding, Propedal is off, bottom out is backed all the way off with 75#'s of pressure in the chamber. On today's ride, the rear end, in the 6" setting, could not keep up with a 5" fork. I must have a lemon. No shock could be that bad of the shelf. I'm going to have to live with it for Downieville and then it's off to Push.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
All coil shocks assume full compression of the bottom-out bumper for full stroke. A bike with a coil mounted gets "full travel" once that bumper gets squished pretty much totally flat. If you are not adding in that part of the travel, you will seem to come up short (as you did).

None of that addresses your issue with the shock though. There may be something weird with your DHX since with the low BO and BV you have dialed in, the shock should boing all over like a naked spring.

·
No known cure
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tscheezy said:
All coil shocks assume full compression of the bottom-out bumper for full stroke. A bike with a coil mounted gets "full travel" once that bumper gets squished pretty much totally flat. If you are not adding in that part of the travel, you will seem to come up short (as you did).

None of that addresses your issue with the shock though. There may be something weird with your DHX since with the low BO and BV you have dialed in, the shock should boing all over like a naked spring.
There is 2.25 total shaft, so the bottom out bumper which is 3/8" thick would have to compress 100% for the shock to full travel. I don't see this happening, but the numbers do add up for a 2.0 stroke shock. Can anyone confirm that a 2.25 stroke DHX has exactly 2.25 inches of shaft?

Attachments

·
No known cure
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vader said:
There is 2.25 total shaft, so the bottom out bumper which is 3/8" thick would have to compress 100% for the shock to full travel. I don't see this happening, but the numbers do add up for a 2.0 stroke shock. Can anyone confirm that a 2.25 stroke DHX has exactly 2.25 inches of shaft?
So I talked with the Fox rep and was told that yes, I did have a 2.25 stroke shock and even though the sag is right on the money and I supposably have the correct spring, (550#, I'm 180#) I should go quite a bit lower in spring weight and add boost to the chamber. Instead I FedExed the shock to PUSH. I should have it back by Friday. Monday at the latest.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sounds like you are oversprung

Vader said:
So I talked with the Fox rep and was told that yes, I did have a 2.25 stroke shock and even though the sag is right on the money and I supposably have the correct spring, (550#, I'm 180#) I should go quite a bit lower in spring weight and add boost to the chamber. Instead I FedExed the shock to PUSH. I should have it back by Friday. Monday at the latest.
I would agree with fox and guess that you are oversprung. Decreasing the spring size and adding more air will probably give you the range of adjustment and performance you are looking for. I am sure Pushing the shock and having it valved for your weight will also get you the desired results. Good luck

·
No known cure
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ConorD said:
I would agree with fox and guess that you are oversprung. Decreasing the spring size and adding more air will probably give you the range of adjustment and performance you are looking for. I am sure Pushing the shock and having it valved for your weight will also get you the desired results. Good luck
The DHX should be here Monday so we'll see if the spring is the culprit. While it's out I'm using a Romic with a two inch stroke and a 500# spring and I'm getting the full 5.3 inches of travel, or at least it feels like it. I know I'm getting more travel than the DHX at the six inch setting. I will be having Romic lengthen the stroke to 2.25 and valve the shock for this rear end and my weight. One of these shocks will be a backup so we'll see.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Vader said:
The DHX should be here Monday so we'll see if the spring is the culprit. While it's out I'm using a Romic with a two inch stroke and a 500# spring and I'm getting the full 5.3 inches of travel, or at least it feels like it. I know I'm getting more travel than the DHX at the six inch setting. I will be having Romic lengthen the stroke to 2.25 and valve the shock for this rear end and my weight. One of these shocks will be a backup so we'll see.
what's the word?

·
No known cure
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CharacterZero said:
what's the word?
Well, there was a little snafu with Push. Seems they misplaced my shock and it took a while longer to get back to me. That's all I'll say about that. I only have two rides on the shock. I didn't have time to dial it in and only got one prerun of the D'ville course and my race run. Let's just say I never did find my groove (but i did have a sh!tload of fun!) The shock did feel good and the travel was there finally. More to come on that. I dropped to a 500# spring also BTW and I think that helped. Again, I cant get over how stiff this frame is. There is just no flex. Anyway, I'm tired from driving, must... get ...sleep...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Interesting

A freind with a Salty had the same issue with an air shock and I wrote it off to being a falling/straight rate rocker with a rising rate shock but that's just a guess which shouldn't effect a coil shock the same way. On the occasions I test rode the Salt it was butter plush in the first half of the stroke giving it a SMOOOOOTH ride over washboards but had a rapid ramp up in the bigger stuff and never used much more than half of the travel. I considered using less air pressure in the float R but it's allready so soft in the first third that I thought it a bad idea. The salt seemed faster in the not so steep climbs but squatty in the steaper stuff and while it never used 2/3 of it's travel it never bottomed which softened the feel of not using all the travel. Having owned 10+ different FS frames and ridden 5 others the Salt has a very unique and fun ride.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,875 Posts
Vader said:
No, the numbers make sense.

If you get 5.3" of travel before the bumper, using your ratio of 2.66 to 1, 3/8th of a bumper would give you .99", so you'd have 6.29" of travel.

Yes, the bottomout bumper counts.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I think what you felt (the harshness) was simply due to the low compression ratio of the Ventana and the fact that the boost valve also necessitates a lower spring rate. I think you are likely still oversprung. I ran into the same situation with a DHX coil.

·
No known cure
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bunnyhiphopper said:
I think what you felt (the harshness) was simply due to the low compression ratio of the Ventana and the fact that the boost valve also necessitates a lower spring rate. I think you are likely still oversprung. I ran into the same situation with a DHX coil.
I am still oversprung for the feel that I'm looking for. I may have to go as low as a 400# spring. Pedaling and climbing on the other hand is just insane. No bob at all with the new compression knob dialed a quarter way in. But the suspension still soaks up the smallest pebble. Anyone want to trade a 500# Ti spring for a 450# Ti spring?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.