Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Carrabassett - ME

Votes: 1 11.1%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Gigantic Hawk
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where would you live if you wanted great biking, hiking, and water access?

Northeast Kingdom, VT - Home of Kingdom Trails, Burke Mountain, and an assortment of other trail systems not too far away. Has great hiking available, and lots of lakes, ponds, and rivers. Cool bike friendly vibe with plenty of local beers. Added bonus, lots of gravel riding and class 4 roads for mild off roading. Not the best roads for road biking.

White Mountains, NH - Great trail riding around North Conway with a handful of new dh trails opening up on several ski mountains. Also home to Highland Mountain Bike Park. Great hiking in the Whites with some great rivers. Decent beer scene that is gaining momentum. Better road biking than the other two options, and no sales or income tax.

Carrabassett Valley, ME - Excellent trail system with lots of variety. Flagstaff Lake is absolutely amazing. The Appalachian Trail goes right through it. Some would argue that the beer scene in Maine is better than Vermont's. Very little safe road riding as there are a lot of logging trucks. Some of the locals haven't warmed up the to biking lifestyle yet. Probably the most expensive of the three in terms of real estate vs income.

·
Gigantic Hawk
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where would you live if you wanted great biking, hiking, and water access?

Northeast Kingdom, VT - Home of Kingdom Trails, Burke Mountain, and an assortment of other trail systems not too far away. Has great hiking available, and lots of lakes, ponds, and rivers. Cool bike friendly vibe with plenty of local beers. Added bonus, lots of gravel riding and class 4 roads for mild off roading. Not the best roads for road biking.

White Mountains, NH - Great trail riding around North Conway with a handful of new dh trails opening up on several ski mountains. Also home to Highland Mountain Bike Park. Great hiking in the Whites with some great rivers. Decent beer scene that is gaining momentum. Better road biking than the other two options, and no sales or income tax.

Carrabassett Valley, ME - Excellent trail system with lots of variety. Flagstaff Lake is absolutely amazing. The Appalachian Trail goes right through it. Some would argue that the beer scene in Maine is better than Vermont's. Very little safe road riding as there are a lot of logging trucks. Some of the locals haven't warmed up the to biking lifestyle yet. Probably the most expensive of the three in terms of real estate vs income.
Are you talking vacation home or full-time living?
I was thinking full time, but the poll was just for fun.

Lynn Lynn, City of Sin
You never come out the way you went in. The only good thing about Lynn is Tacos Lupita.

·
beer thief
4,914 Posts
I picked option 2 more than 30 years ago but frequent both of the other places specifically to ride MTBs. Other factors for my decision were world class rock & ice climbing, trail access right from home in many places in the MWV, many more skiing options close by (both nordic and alpine), 1-1/2 hour drive to the ocean, plus a much better selection of restaurants & services and other things to do.

·
Registered
858 Posts
While we have a home in the NEK, we chose NH for our residence last year. Many reasons.

Not the least were taxes.

The NEK is a very special place, that being said there are many other options as well depending on what criteria checks the boxes.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I like living in Central Mass. TONS of great riding within a 20 minute radius, and none of the drama you guys deal with up north!

·
Registered
743 Posts
Just spent another weekend in Charlemont, MA (central MA). Everytime I go, I get more serious about finding property in that area. But that's because it's closest to Boston and I still work in Boston. CTS (behind warfield house) on the northside. Thunder Mountain on the south. Dubuque SF, Wendell SF, Greylock, Northampton all nearby.

NEK is great but expensive and future is unknown with the kerfuffle in Burke between KT and land owners. Burlington would be a safer bet with beer, trails, and water sports.

I love Carrabassett Valley and have probably taken 5-6 one week vacations there in the past decade. But it's a long drive from Boston for me. And there's really nothing there shopping-wise (ie, grocery). I hiked the Bigelow's up and over on the AT. And Hiked south over the Crockers. That's where Inchworm died. Crazy thick forest. The riding is good but you gotta be ready to CLIMB!

So I guess I'm a tentative vote for central MA.

Maybe if I didnt still work, Carrabassett would be more appealling.

Let the dust blow over in the NEK. Not sure how KT will fare long term. And the Victory Hill battle is horrific with no resolution on the horizon.

What about southern Vermont around Ascutney/West Windsor?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Gigantic Hawk
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just spent another weekend in Charlemont, MA (central MA). Everytime I go, I get more serious about finding property in that area. But that's because it's closest to Boston and I still work in Boston. CTS (behind warfield house) on the northside. Thunder Mountain on the south. Dubuque SF, Wendell SF, Greylock, Northampton all nearby.
I grew up in Keene, NH, and I agree that this area of the Berkshires is quite nice.

NEK is great but expensive and future is unknown with the kerfuffle in Burke between KT and land owners. Burlington would be a safer bet with beer, trails, and water sports.
I don't think that KT will suffer any ill effects. Burlington is nice too. I live in Portland, ME currently where we have great trails, incredible beer, and the ocean in front of my condo. I feel it is quite similar to Burlington, but way more busy (which is a negative).

I love Carrabassett Valley and have probably taken 5-6 one week vacations there in the past decade. But it's a long drive from Boston for me. And there's really nothing there shopping-wise (ie, grocery). I hiked the Bigelow's up and over on the AT. And Hiked south over the Crockers. That's where Inchworm died. Crazy thick forest. The riding is good but you gotta be ready to CLIMB!
I was there last week for my wedding. It is definitely one of my favorite places.

PANO_20200704_204616.vr_2.jpg

·
Registered
178 Posts
I like living in Central Mass. TONS of great riding within a 20 minute radius, and none of the drama you guys deal with up north!
Despite what you might read on this forum, Vermont is covered with drama-free, awesome trail networks. KT is its own thing, and great if that's what you're into, but certainly does not represent Vermont mountain biking. I see other riders on probably one out of every three rides, and people are friendly and stoked in real life.

·
2,603 Posts
Despite what you might read on this forum, Vermont is covered with drama-free, awesome trail networks. KT is its own thing, and great if that's what you're into, but certainly does not represent Vermont mountain biking. I see other riders on probably one out of every three rides, and people are friendly and stoked in real life.
Yep. No “drama” on any of my rides. Mostly empty trails and drinking delicious beer afterwards. Can’t beat central VT for living where you want to ride. I’m quite happy here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
no disrespect to those three initial options, but would not go as far purchasing or fully committing to any of them. My dream location is somewhere between Waterbury and Burlington...tons of networks, great hiking, awesome swimming holes, beer, food, etc., etc., Oh and great people. Love Portland Maine too but ranks lower on close by hiking. And oh boy has Portland gotten expensive!

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
5,733 Posts
upstate NY so I can stare at VT across the pond and be glad I ain't there

oh yeah adirondacks > green mtns

·
Registered
743 Posts
I've been curious about the Adairondacks for years. Can you suggest a few hot spots?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
5,733 Posts
lake placid is a good start, then expand from there

·
Gigantic Hawk
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And oh boy has Portland gotten expensive!
In the 20 years that I have lived here, it's the housing market that has really exploded. Most other stuff is priced similarly to other cities and towns. But the housing market... my condo, which I bought in 2011, has risen about a 100k in market price since I purchased it, and that is for 527 square feet of living space.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts