Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can do my job online and my fiancee is in property management so we really can go anywhere.

Currently living in Sacramento so I'm kind of in a central hub with Auburn, Granite Bay, and Folsom within half an hour and Downieville and Tahoe another 1.5 hours further. Also, the road biking here is great when you want to get the extra miles in from your front door.

However, as a down, I'm not a fan. I also wouldn't want to live anywhere inland or on the east coast (proximity to family and other reasons).

So, with mountain biking as a hobby and job not as a consideration, but weather as a consideration (do not like cold/excessive rain), where would you live? Thinking of Chico, CA or Bend, OR. I went to college in Bellingham, WA and it was too cold and rainy and Seattle would be similar. The bay area is too expensive (working online means my income doesn't go up by living in a more expensive area). California, Oregon, or Washington.

·
Your Best Friend
5,295 Posts
Bend Oregon isn't on the coast. Similar to Sacramento. Might as well include everything else inland.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,331 Posts
There are a lot of great riding areas in OR, Eugene, Ashland/Medford, Bend, etc. That's got to rank pretty high on the list, and if you are up near Bend other places like Mt St. Helens and a few other places aren't really that far away. Seems like it would keep one satisfied for a long time, also got that mix of deserty/dry and wet coastal and everything in between.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
You should probably stay where you are. Anywhere north of Santa Rosa and it starts getting too wet and gray and anywhere south and it gets too hot and expensive. Depending on what you like in a city, usually the nicer the town the more expensive it is. If you like small, boring towns where you have to drive for miles to get anything, you've got plenty of choices in the surrounding area (including Chico).

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I keep reading bend is pretty tame though, mostly XC. I was hoping for a little more right in my back yard than XC.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I keep reading bend is pretty tame though, mostly XC. I was hoping for a little more right in my back yard than XC.
I'm pretty new to mountain biking so I am not sure...

If you have not, Google Phil's Trail system. That is right in town pretty much. Lots of youtube vids too.

"The Lair" as well.

McKenzie River trail looks pretty sweet too.

http://www.mckenzierivertrail.com/

Also have Mt. Bachelor bike park in our back yard too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2e9EI55G6w

·
Registered
402 Posts
So...
You don't like HOT and you don't like COLD.....

How about SLO (San Luis Obispo) area? Not too hot, does not get cold. I lived there for 13 yrs and my first mt. bike was build before you could buy one. Single track, fire roads, etc., etc.

Great riding on central coast & Big Sur!

Why did I move to NV?
Cali, environmentally, is one of the best place in the world to live but is political a crap hole as far as I'm concerned. I will never give another dime of tax money to Cali but you don't seen to have a problem with it now.

Check out SLO! ......

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
I spent a couple days in Bend and came home looking for a job there. If I could have found a job in Bend I would live there now.

Outside of that, its hard to beat what we have here in Sacramento. Easy access to everything, within 1-2 hours.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I really like living in LA believe it or not (4 mi commute helps), but I love heading up to Santa Cruz whenever I can. Haven't given Oregon a try but am intrigued.

I'm not sure you're going to find too many coastal areas on the West Coast that aren't expensive though.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Everybody in Bend is from California. Every real estate developer/realtor in Bend is from California. Everybody in Bend not in real estate brought their online job with them from California. May as well join them.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
How about Big Bear? We do get snow and cold, but usually not extreme amounts of either. The riding season is usually about 8 months long, although we rode all year up here due to a very mild winter. The spring, summer and fall is awesome, makes up for any winter weather. The trails are awesome and ever expanding, we have a lift assisted bike park and the roads are very good for road riding. There are a lot of riders and organized weekly rides on and off road.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts