Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may very well be relocating to Wisconsin to take a new job with a company just outside of Sheboygan. So I am starting to consider where I might like to live.

My wife has family in Milwuakee, so we'd like to live somewhere in that direction. One of my main criteria, however, is to be within 30 minutes of decent xc singletrack.

I currently live in the western Chicago suburbs and ride Palos, Knoch Knolls and Deer Grove on a regular basis. All of these are within 30-45 minutes of my house.

So if you were looking for an ideal community somewhere between Milwaukee and Sheboygan with relatively easy access to some decent trails, where would it be? Any advice?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hmm..well I can't be of much help because I don't ride over that way, but I know Milwaukee has some sort of mountain bike trails going on which I have read about previously. Sadly, if you live in Sheboygan, your about 2 hours away, give or take, from some of the best trails. Southern Kettle Moraine, Blue Mounds, Nine Mile....Because you ride Palos I feel like you'll just have to make the drive to these areas on the weekends. Well worth it though. I think Greenbay has a good trail...but again, an hour from sheboygan.

I was no help huh?

On a good note, you'll be close to the Door County peninsula. Great scenery and weekend getaways. mtb trail in peninsula state park, but not very difficult.

Welcome to Wisconsin! Sure you can't relocate to Madison? Much more fun here:D

·
=========
1,869 Posts
The little town of Greenbush (west of Sheboygan) could offer up what you've described if you like your domicile rather rural. I understand that the Greenbush trail cluster is getting a completely new singletrack loop and the construction is happening right now. I don't know how much mileage there will be, but the terrain is ideally suited for fun flowy roller coaster riding.

·
Banned
1,852 Posts
I hear west bend is pretty darn good, with a darn good shop too. stay far, far away from green bay. i spent too many years there, and it is the worst urban sprawl town i have ever seen. not a lot of trail either. there is some good trail right in sheboygan, and its not too far to north kettles (greenbush, as Gary mentioned.)

·
Registered
214 Posts
how about Sheboygan???

Sheboygan has Quarry and Evergreen Park...that is where the final WORS race of the season is held. There are some pretty good trails throughout those parks. Also, for some tight singletrack there are the Kewaunee trails about 45 minutes north of Sheboygan. IMO, Sheboygan wouldn't be that bad. Plus, I believe the FatKats have regular group rides.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
xtremewriter said:
Welcome to Wisconsin! Sure you can't relocate to Madison? Much more fun here:D
Heh... If the job I was taking was in Madison, I'd be there! Might be a tough transition though, seeing as how I am an MSU Spartan. Don't know how well I'd fit with all those Badgers.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Klein_man said:
Sheboygan has Quarry and Evergreen Park...that is where the final WORS race of the season is held. There are some pretty good trails throughout those parks. Also, for some tight singletrack there are the Kewaunee trails about 45 minutes north of Sheboygan. IMO, Sheboygan wouldn't be that bad. Plus, I believe the FatKats have regular group rides.
Well, we might look at Sheboygan, but ideally would like to be closer to Milwaukee. The wife has family there and we'd like to be a little closer to the larger city. Thinking Cedarburg/Mequon area.

Will check out the FatKats; looks like they have a website, and some rides in the Sheboygan area. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I grew up in Thiensville/Mequon great area to live but no local trails. I now live in Sheboygan area. You can hit the Evergreen trails in Sheboygan after work, decent trails. Mequon is a 30 minute drive at the most to the eastern trails in milwaukee and the trails along the menominee river in tosa. I've road both and they're great for city trails. You'd be 45 minutes away from New Fane trails and the Greenbush trails. Greenbush is getting 9 miles of new single track which started on 7/9/07. Good luck.

·
No longer 26
3,080 Posts
I am in Cedarburg.

"Local": West Bend trails are 30 minutes away. About 4-5 miles worth of ST. Greenbush is 45-50 minutes away. Should be 20-25 miles of trail when the new 9 miles of ST is done. New Fane is 35-45 minutes away and are supposed to get some ST added to it. 20 minutes from some flat but fun ST starting at Hoyt Park near the western bypass. 30-40 minutes away from Crystal Ridge.5-7 miles of tight twisty ST when it is dry. 30-40 minutes from Sheboygans trails

2-2.5 hours from Fitchburg on the way to Blue Mounds State Park. Have not ridden at Fitchburg but Blue mounds have the most technical trails in the state that I have ridden.
2-2.5 hours from Standing Rocks park near Amherst/Stevens Point (Portage cty park)
2.5-3 hours from Devils Head ski area
3-3.5 hours from 9 Mile Forest in Wausau
4ish hours from Levis Trow near Neillsville / Hatfileld area

There are some more in process at Mt Morris for the WORS race which is about 1.5 hours away etc etc.

Cedarburg is a great place to live for sure.

G

·
Registered
214 Posts
Look at Grafton

If you want to be closer to Milwaukee, try Grafton. It has a small town feel and is about 30 to 45 minutes from Quarry/Evergreen Park and 30 minutes from downtown Milwaukee, plus the downtown area is undergoing a revitalization and is nearing completion.

I lived there 4 years ago (now living in southwest Mequon) and it is a great town.

If you are into road riding, the Ozaukee Bike club has 30+ mile lively group rides on Wednesdays that leave from Cedarburg and Grafton.

Looking at living issues...Mequon has lower rates than most of the surrounding communities (Grafton, Cedarburg, Germantown). All the surrounding towns have low crime and excellent school systems...if you are concerned with those things.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
G-Live said:
I am in Cedarburg.

"Local": West Bend trails are 30 minutes away. About 4-5 miles worth of ST. Greenbush is 45-50 minutes away. Should be 20-25 miles of trail when the new 9 miles of ST is done. New Fane is 35-45 minutes away and are supposed to get some ST added to it. 20 minutes from some flat but fun ST starting at Hoyt Park near the western bypass. 30-40 minutes away from Crystal Ridge.5-7 miles of tight twisty ST when it is dry. 30-40 minutes from Sheboygans trails

2-2.5 hours from Fitchburg on the way to Blue Mounds State Park. Have not ridden at Fitchburg but Blue mounds have the most technical trails in the state that I have ridden.
2-2.5 hours from Standing Rocks park near Amherst/Stevens Point (Portage cty park)
2.5-3 hours from Devils Head ski area
3-3.5 hours from 9 Mile Forest in Wausau
4ish hours from Levis Trow near Neillsville / Hatfileld area

There are some more in process at Mt Morris for the WORS race which is about 1.5 hours away etc etc.

Cedarburg is a great place to live for sure.

G
Awesome -- this helps. Thanks for the info. If I end up in that area, might have to have you show me around a few of these places.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Klein_man said:
If you want to be closer to Milwaukee, try Grafton. It has a small town feel and is about 30 to 45 minutes from Quarry/Evergreen Park and 30 minutes from downtown Milwaukee, plus the downtown area is undergoing a revitalization and is nearing completion.

I lived there 4 years ago (now living in southwest Mequon) and it is a great town.

If you are into road riding, the Ozaukee Bike club has 30+ mile lively group rides on Wednesdays that leave from Cedarburg and Grafton.

Looking at living issues...Mequon has lower rates than most of the surrounding communities (Grafton, Cedarburg, Germantown). All the surrounding towns have low crime and excellent school systems...if you are concerned with those things.
Grafton -- will add it to the list. Our final decision also depends on where my wife ends up working too, but we will have to check out Grafton. Thanks.

·
No longer 26
3,080 Posts
Definately let me know. I have not ridden with the Ozaukee group but a lot of good road riding available as well. Mainstreet Grafton and Mainstreet Cedarburg are only a few mile apart. Might be easier to commute from Grafton as it is closer to I43.

G

·
Registered
256 Posts
anyone up for a ride next week Tues, Weds or Thurs? I'm visiting my brother-in-law in Sheboygan and would like to get a ride in. 1 minor problem, he doesn't have a mtn-bike just a sidewalk cruiser.
I'm leaving tonight and will check messages.

Thanks,
Sasquatch2
from New Jersey

·
Registered
509 Posts
sheboygan is a good town. ill be in town july 29-aug 3 if you want a tour of local trails.. la grange 1.3 from sheboygan, kewanee how ever you spell that is 50 min, green bush is decent.. 30 min. the trails in town are ok, but get old fast. no organization what so ever. alot of trails, but hard to keep a flow. sheboygan is roughly 50,000 people. not the biggest, but its 50 min from milwaukee, and 50 from GB.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.