Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife and I are looking to get a place in the mountains, but wow is it hard to narrow down where is the best place. We MTB, road bike, and ski, and all of them are about equal on our fun list. I figure most people here probably ski/board as well, so any other input is appreciated. Here's what we're thinking so far.

Summit County area- Good all around. Not the best mountain biking though, and still very crowded for the ski season. Close to Denver

Durango-Best mountain biking/road biking, but only a so so resort for skiing, especially considering how much terrain is in Summit county. Also, it doesn't look like huge snowfall totals. It is close to Silverton though. It's a long ass way back to Denver.

Aspen- Good skiing, no nothing about the MTBing, but very expensive.

Wolf Creek-Best snow in the state, but don't know much about the MTBing in the area. Major plus is I have an uncle with some land there that he would sell me.

Crested Butte-Great snow, but we know nothing about the MTBing in the area.

Any other thoughts or opinions?

·
!Vamos, flaco!
1,364 Posts
hitek79 said:
Any other thoughts or opinions?
Give your money to charity and camp or stay at hotels.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
I guess you have a lot of money Hitek. Lucky you.

I thought about buying a place at one time to make it a short term rental (to help pay for it since I DON'T have a lot of money) and then use it when I want. The problem was when I did the cost analysis, it takes a really long time to make it pay for itself. Plus the wear and tear on a short term rental is huge. You have to have a good management company and they seem to want a huge portion of the cut.

I felt in the end, I was enchanted with the idea more as having a property and as an investment than I was about having a place to go. And in the end, having a single place to go kinda made me feel like I was limiting my options. Renting and camping is way more flexible and cost effective IMO. I figured putting my money elsewhere was a better investment (of course I was wrong since I put it in stocks)

I also though, and still think, the properties are overpriced in the areas that I would want to have one in.

Durango is a good option. I would pick there.

Wolf creek doesn't have great access to biking.

Crested butte has some of the best biking in the state. I looked there but the properties were way too high.

Steamboat is another expensive but good place.

1,328 Posts
What do you like to ski? Steeps? Greens? If you're stuck on resort skiing I'd say Crusty Butt. If you don't mind working for your turns anywhere would do.

FWIW, I'd consider Tahoe and Sun Valley.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I definitely don't have a ton of money and the money I do have didn't come from luck, but I've been waiting for the last 3 years for this bubble to finally burst, and IMO in the next 6-12 months mountain real estate will be coming down substantially. Vail is already saying sales are off by a whopping 40%. I was up boarding at Beaver Creek the other day, and the longest lift line was maybe 10-15 people.

Vail is out of my range. Summit county is not.

I'll definitely look more into the CB area. It seems to fit a lot of our criteria.

As far as renting it out while it's not being used, that all depends on price, and what I thought I could make off of it. I definitely won't be buying beyond my means, hoping that rents will make up the difference.

Thanks for the more straightforward answers everyone.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Opps, just saw your post Walt. I like challenging stuff, but I've never done any BC stuff. It does have to be in Colorado, as our family all lives in Oklahoma, so we don't want to move any further away.

·
ride
5,274 Posts
I'd keep in mind that there's plenty of great mountain biking in this state if you're willing to look for it. It may end up being some wacky unused backcountry that no one knows about, but that's not a bad thing.

From you're list, I'd look at CB for sure. If you want more affordable real estate (from what I remember) also look at the Fraser Valley. Good snow and great riding.

I've heard that there's actually some really good backcountry riding around Wolf Creek, too.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
hitek79 said:
and IMO in the next 6-12 months mountain real estate will be coming down substantially.
I guess "substantial" is relative. $300k instead of $600k for a condo that should be $150k is what I have a problem with.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
True.

My parents live in a 4000 sq foot house on an acre of land on a golf course. It's worth maybe $270,000. Why? Because it's in Oklahoma. There's a reason we live in Colorado though, even though our lifestyle would be much much different there.

Should that condo really be $150k? Not if the market says it should be more.

·
drinks from the fountain
391 Posts
Two Words

Black hills!!

Waaaaaay Cheaper!!
Killer Trails!
No PEOPLE!
Beautiful views!
No People!
Great Properties!
Good MTB scene!

Look I would still live there if family were closer. Truly a special place.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've seen some awesome youtube footage from the Black Hills. I just love the snowboarding here too much to give it up.

I've looked in Fairplay, but wow, that wind is brutal in the winter. Brutal. It's certainly cheap enough though.

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
hitek79 said:
I've looked in Fairplay, but wow, that wind is brutal in the winter. Brutal. It's certainly cheap enough though.

Surround yourself on three sides and it's not as bad as you think. Just get off of the 285 corridor.

Edit: You want wind? You have no idea what it's like at my home in Golden. So bad, the builder had to replace all the roofs six months after completion. I clocked a 110 MPH gust that actually destroyed my pergola last year.

NTM WEATHER STATION

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
hitek79 said:
Should that condo really be $150k? Not if the market says it should be more.
This is an interesting statement given the current environment and the nature of this thread.

If you really know what the "market" says, awesome. I wish I did.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You were the one stating that a condo selling for 300k should really be worth 150k. My point is that if price is your only concern, move to someplace like Omaha, or Oklahoma City. You've got to pay to play. That being said, in the near future, that price to enter should be coming down nicely.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts