Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Some Coloradoans sick of snow and ice want to pay a visit to the famed National trail, as well as some of the other goodness Phoenix offers. My wife and I are planning a visit there in a couple of weeks.

Your visitors forum ROCKS:thumbsup: Thanks to this, we feel armed with tons of great trail info and advise. Thanks.

But, one thing I've always found better to ask the locals than searching online is about cool accommodations. We sort of hate the standard continental-breakfast in the lobby chain hotels. We usually camp, but are a little short on cargo space. Plus, and here's the kicker, we are bringing our pup - 50 lbs. of unbridled, tail-wagging joy.

Does anyone know of any pet-friendly cabins, haciendas, lodges, huts, whatever. We don't care if it's fancy. Showers are nice and being able to cook is a bonus, but we can rough it too.

Any help is greatly appreciated:). Cheers,

E

·
In the rear with the beer
1,314 Posts
National trail is pretty much right in the middle to town (largest urban park in the country from what I've seen), so cabin type accomdations may be hard to come by if you want to stay near that trail. Don't worry though, on any of the major trial systems around town you quicly forget you are anywhere near a major population center and you start to get worried about being eaten by coyotes....

A lot of our trails are actually in giant parks in otherwise urban areas. So that may impact your mindset on lodging. I'm not sure what you'd find as far as lodges, huts, etc. in town. I'm sure some others know of places though, so i'm just giving a heads up on overall terrain. You might want to look at a map of the area and pick which major trail system you want to stay near (south mountain, including national, if arguably the most popular), then the locals can give you more specific recommendations. Otherwise, people may send you all over the valley (we're pretty spread out here...).

·
Fragile - must be Italian
2,308 Posts
There is a hotel right at the base of South Moutain called the "Arizona Grand Resort" (used to be the Pointe South Mountain resort). It's literally 1/2 mile from the National trailhead -- you could use it as your base of all of your South Mountain exploring. And then every day after you get all sweaty and dirty...you can head over to the hot tub and relax with a drink in your hand.

This is a pretty nice hotel, but not swanky by any means...meaning it will be relatively affordable (as compared to the Ritz or Four Seasons).

Downtown Scottsdale is also not too far away from South Mountain, and there are some neat boutique hotels in the area: Mondrian, Valley Ho, Chaparral Suites, Hotel Scottsdale, etc. Some of these are big bucks...others are relatively affordable (renovated 60's style open air hotels). You can check a travel site such as Expedia to check out the list of hotels there. Downtown Scottsdale is a fun place to be on the weekends.

This time of year is our "high" time, meaning hotels are usually expensive...but the economy sucks big time and hotels are hurting. I bet you can find some good deals now.

Thx...Doug

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm staying at the Grace Inn which is a 5 minute ride to Desert Classic trail on South Mountain (and a couple minutes from Cactus Bikes -- very helpful.) It's very cheap considering it's a good-size hotel. Quiet. Microwave and internet, no kitchen, I'm paying $59./night (they said $69 on the phone but when I got here they just said $59.) The restaurant is pretty good here too. (The Japanese place across the street is pretty decent too and not expensive.) After 5 days of daily 5-6 hour rides up and down National Trail, coast-to-coast, hike-a-biking up and then bouncing down Telegraph Pass, around Desert Classic (I found riding west to east on Desert Classic most fun because it's mostly downhill that way, and way fast, a good way to end the day), down Geronimo and up Mormon, around Hidden Valley (not recommended except for view), Old Man (secret triple-skull downhill off National to Desert Classic), Javelina (not too technical), and more (and before that a fantastic week in Sedona),,, I'm over-trained, needless-to-say, but I just can't stop)! Telegraph, Geronimo and Old Man are the most technical downhills I'd ever ridden. Never coulda imagined there was such amazing, epic, super-technical singletrack in the middle of 4 million people. Riding my Ibis Mojo here (most folks on heavier downhill bikes, but the Mojo has 5 in. travel front and rear and was just fine---you absolutely must have a quick release seatpost collar for going downhill - just lower that saddle and look ahead; I rode conventional Nevegal 2.35's with Stan's on Stan's ZTR 355 rims no problems, keep the air pressure high!) Met wonderful people every day. Thanks Phoenicians and South Mountain for an amazing stay. So if you like technical you'll love National Trail and all the side trails - just keep your momentum up and down - it's the most challenging mountain biking I've done (reminiscent of Downieville which is also very challenging with 4-5 hour climbs and 2 hours of absolute mixed downhill glee.) I'm from the "Granite State" where it's very technical rocks, roots, up and down, but South Mountain is like NH on steroids! btw, Sedona was quite nice too, not as technical as Phoenix, but lots and lots of fun - rode a lot of stuff in 7 days there (stayed at the Village Lodge in Oak Creek across from Bike and Bean where Chewy was most helpful in showing me excellent 3-4 hour rides - thanks to those guys too!) Have fun!

·
Registered
57 Posts
bigdude is right, the camping/cabin scene around South Mountain is non existent from what I know. It's pretty suburban. I did find this place really close to the trailhead:
Canyon View Apartments
Last Updated by phoenixaz on Mar 25
4647 East Francisco Drive
Phoenix, AZ 85044
(602) 438-0406

Sounds pretty affordable and you'd be able to cook. I think this would be cheaper than the Arizona Grande.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.