Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a bike for my wife (5’4’’ 120lbs). Her last bike was a dept. store hardtail. She is mostly into riding around the neighborhood with some light trail riding (when I can convince her). I think she would be more comfortable on the trails if she had a better bike. So, I was wondering what would be a good intermediate bike? She is just a beginner, but I want to buy her a bike that will accommodate her as her skills improve. I am looking to spend $400-$500. Any suggestions as to where I should start?

·
Registered
95 Posts
jberg01,...

IMHO, I would take her to a few LBSs, look at different models, different manufacturers,
and let her follow her primal instinct to shop,...(*S*,..juz kiddin'). Let her test ride those that are within your budget.

If you involve her in the purchasing decision, rather than surprizing her with one YOU picked out, she may be more inclined to ride more often with you. (its HER bike).

You'll know you made the right decision when she calls out,..."Ooooooo,....honey,...look at this one",....*S*

Oh yeah,..then ya'll can shop for a helmet, gloves, other related MTB equipment, and most of all,.....(ahem),...let her shop for shoes,...(MTB shoes that is),.......*wink*

Now then,...for your bike budget, I myself, being a die hard Specialized fan will of course suggest the Specialized Hardrock or Rockhopper, (womans specific of course).

However, there are many excellent MTB manufacturers, and "FIT" will be the most important issue. So, reguardless of which brand get the one that fits her the best.

I hope this lil' post helps,...

Good luck

Live Long,...Ride Hard

Ol' DirtDawg

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I do intend to have her make the ultimate decision, however I do not want her to feel intimadated by all of the choices available. I thought that if I could point her in the right direction and let her go from there. Also, I haven't even told her about shoes.

·
Registered
95 Posts
jberg01,...

With your budget in mind, ya'lls choices will be a brand of HT (hardtail). And this is where , IMHO , you should guide her.

Gary Fisher, Trek, Cannondale, Specialized, and others make excellent HTs.

Again,..."FIT" is most important.

(Pssssst,....don't forget to mention new shoes),.......LOL

Ya'll have fun with your MTB shopping experience,.....*S*

Live Long,...Ride Hard

Ol' DirtDawg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.