Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some help to lighten my 9 yr olds son's Spec Hardrock. I'm thinking tires and tubes would be a good place to start as the stock tires are 870 grams. Any suggestions on a light tire and tube? I'm thinking at 75 lbs (my son), I could probably get away with something less durable than an adult rider needs. Don't want to spend a lot either.

What should I go after next? Seat post/seat, bar and stem>:confused:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Tyres and tubes are going to be by far the cheapest way to save weight. Get some maxxis flyweight tubes and some folding bead tyres (exactly which to get depends on the sort of riding he does).

Next up would be cranks, possibly grips, post/bar/stem, wheels can save a lot but they tend to cost a bit. Changing the fork to a SID should save nearly a kilogram, and I doubt a 75lb rider would find it flexy. The SID race isn't too expensive either.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I swapped out the bars and stem on my girlfriend's Hardrock Sport for Ritchey WCS flat bar and Pro stem and that dropped several hundred grams. The stock riser bar is ugly and weighs more than 300g and the stock stem is one ugly chunk at metal of around 250g. The bike doesn't look so silly now either and it now has a more comfortable riding position for her.

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
Not trying to be funny, but does your son much need a lighter bike (is he racing or having problems with the bike as is?).

I remember riding when I was ten years old. The bike had a banana seat, bolt through hubs and chopper handlebars. It must've weighed a ton but I didn't even notice as it was so much fun.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Womble, try lifting a Hardrock then ask that question... I remember at the age of 12 having to heave a beast of a bike over stiles and up steps and wishing it was lighter. If only I could have convinced my dad to support my hobby by splurging cash on the big weight loss items. I would however recommend sticking to lower cost items or quality items that can move from bike to bike - a growing lad will need a bigger frame in a couple years.

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
I have lifted a Hardrock, and I'm sure my bike was a lot heavier :) But I guess I lived in a pretty flat area back then.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good advice given above already
1.tubes(maxxis flyweights-agree)
2.tyres (something well under 500g....mid 400g tyres turn up cheap , often)
3. handlebars and stem. Aim for 130g ish for the bars and unders 160g for the stem. The standard stuff on stumpjumpers is quite light and very cheap an close to these weights.
4.crankset. 2nd hand raceface turbines etc show on ebay regularly and very affordable.
After that:
-keep an eye on ebay for a set of xt+517 wheels. Reasonable on a budget (not sure what your current wheels weigh)

when the bottom bracket axel dies , get a Ti one (token do a reasonable priced one that has good seals and is light.)....100+grams there alone.
A second hand SLR (if he doesn't jump the bike) will knock 150(ish) grams in 1 hit (get the 135g version)
pedals. Exustar pm25's are cheap and light (another 100+grams)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input, I'll check out your suggestions. I'm not opposed to making the boy work, he's actually a pretty strong kid and has done many 50 mile road tandem rides with me. While I haven't weighed the Hardrock Sport yet, I think its pushing half his weight (He weighs 70-75 lbs) and he can hardly get it up the longer hills. It's a beast, and if my bike weighed that much (proportion wise), it would weigh 85-90 lbs.:eekster:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Maybe save money in the long run and buy a new bike. $500 for an '06 closeout and he can have a pretty good bike. If you try upgrading to lose weight you'd eat through that price mighty fast.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.