Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Yup, was hoping for some experiences on the trails. The self guided tour south 3 nights accommodation and all meals for $500 has piqued my interest.

·
ups and downs
15,592 Posts

·
The Riddler
1,035 Posts
Thinking of making a week long trip to BC (probably be able to ride 5-7 days total). Should I focus on Squamish-Whistler or make the trek up to Pemberton (and/or Gold Bridge), as well as leaving time for a Shore ride. Bringing a SC 5010. Solid XC/Enduro.

·
ups and downs
15,592 Posts
You can do Squamish/Whistler/Pembie all from one base, Pemberton is a 1/2 hour or so from Whistler, Whistler is 45 minutes from Squamish. Gold Bridge is actually a fair bit of travel time from Pemberton. The SC 5010 should manage all the blue intermediate trails but could be a bit light for sections of black diamond trails. Not sure what your baseline reference for trail technicality is, but blue trails in BC can be like red or black diamond trails in many other trail systems. Squamish, Whistler and Pemberton offer longer trail loops than you'll find on the North Shore, the North Shore mountains involve a lot of pedal assist shuttling for fairly short and technical descents (rinse and repeat), so you'd see lots of the same uphill stretches for a variety of downhill trails.

·
The Riddler
1,035 Posts
You can do Squamish/Whistler/Pembie all from one base, Pemberton is a 1/2 hour or so from Whistler, Whistler is 45 minutes from Squamish. Gold Bridge is actually a fair bit of travel time from Pemberton. The SC 5010 should manage all the blue intermediate trails but could be a bit light for sections of black diamond trails. Not sure what your baseline reference for trail technicality is, but blue trails in BC can be like red or black diamond trails in many other trail systems. Squamish, Whistler and Pemberton offer longer trail loops than you'll find on the North Shore, the North Shore mountains involve a lot of pedal assist shuttling for fairly short and technical descents (rinse and repeat), so you'd see lots of the same uphill stretches for a variety of downhill trails.
Thanks! The riding in Gold Bridge looks stunning. Would it be worth it to choose a central base point for most riding from Squamish to Pemberton, and then make a day trip/overnight for a big epic in Gold Bridge/Chilicotins? Or would riding in Pemberton satisfy some backcountry/alpine aspirations?

·
ups and downs
15,592 Posts
Gold Bridge and Tyax Lodge and the Spruce/Warner Lake ride would likely be a couple of days alone including travel time. If you rode up to Warner Lake from Tyax, that is likely going to be a very long day in the saddle (8+ hours RT).

Whistler would be right in the middle between Squamish and Pemberton so that would make a good base camp.. Pemberton is like Squamish's less buff and more rugged brother, and less populated.

·
The Riddler
1,035 Posts
Any thoughts on staying in Pemberton over Whistler? I imagine riding 3 days in Whistler and maybe 1-2 in Pemberton, so would be a decent amount of back-forth if we stay in Pemberton. Would be nice to just ride out the door in Whistler, but Pemberton seems much more chill and laid back and still has a couple restaurants.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
I'm old, grumpy, and hate the resort "vibe". When I see **** like that I get pissed off. Pemberton seems like a normal place and I would much rather spend time there. It really depends what you like.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts