Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All:

I'm an middle-aged rider out here on vacation in Santa Cruz. What's a good fireroad ride in Big Basin? Can you ride from the park headquarters to the coast? Is it any good? I usually ride Nisene Marks & Wilder Ranch, but I'm looking for something new.

·
too late to die young now
342 Posts
Gazos Creek

LarryG said:
... What's a good fireroad ride in Big Basin? Can you ride from the park headquarters to the coast? Is it any good? ...
howdy - there's a great fire road ride in BB.

from HQ>Gazos Creek>Sand Point>(from Sand Point there are 'alternatives' which will not be mentioned on this thread)> down Gazos Creek>Cloverdale>Butano FR>China Grade>Johansen Rd>Middle Ridge>HQ

total miles: ~15
total ascent: ~3K

at the bottom you can follow Gazos Creek to Hwy 1 and hit the ocean, it's a small detour and adds about 2-3 miles, worth it!

·
too late to die young now
342 Posts
LarryG said:
... Is it any good? ...
ps - yes, this is one of the best wet weather rides in the SCM imo - incredible groves of real old growths!

as far as a fire road ride goes, I think it's best

·
Medium?
6,732 Posts
Felton_Flyer said:
from HQ>Gazos Creek>Sand Point>down Gazos Creek>Cloverdale>Butano FR>China Grade>Johansen Rd>Middle Ridge>HQ

total miles: ~15
total ascent: ~3K

at the bottom you can follow Gazos Creek to Hwy 1 and hit the ocean, it's a small detour and adds about 2-3 miles, worth it!
I agree that is a great loop, but I've got to think it's at least 20 miles. We do a version that includes Chalk Mtn and it's over 35 miles. There's a gas station/mini mart at the beach for refueling.

·
Bushwacker
465 Posts
In that area I always ride up from gazos Creek Rd. No park fees, remote, traffic. Take HWY 1 to gazos creek rd, all the way to the end. Park at the gate and head up. Lots of off trail options heading up towards Butano SP. Can't be beat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.