Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im going to big bear for the first time on saturday and i want to know what trails are popular. i want to start riding downhill, but ive never really riden that fast on a real common trail. ive riden at home near my house, and i cant weight to ride a popular trail that people actually ride on. i just dont know what trails are good for beginners like me.

·
always learning
539 Posts
The trail I started with was Upper Falline to Lower Falline. It's kind of an intermediate trail with some very technical sections, but also quite a few places to bomb. My favorite trail now is Westridge. It's a much faster trail that's much more DH oriented. What sealed the deal for me is that there's a nice set of dirt jumps halfway down, and a huge (I mean huge) tabletop at the bottom. Tell the guy at the ticket booth what you want to do and he'll direct you to some good stuff.

--Taylor

·
Registered
149 Posts
All are great

Every trail up at big bear is great. My two personal favorites are Fall line and westridge. Summit trail and Log Chute are also awesome. Westridge is very technical with some nice jumps at the bottom. Hope you have a good time.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Stick with the main trails at Snow Summit; Westridge, Summit Run, and Log Chutes. There are other trails there, but if you make a wrong turn, you can end up a few miles away from the base of Summit. All three trails are bada$$, so you can wear yourself out on these while you get used to DHing.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The trail I started with was Upper Falline to Lower Falline. It's kind of an intermediate trail with some very technical sections, but also quite a few places to bomb. My favorite trail now is Westridge. It's a much faster trail that's much more DH oriented. What sealed the deal for me is that there's a nice set of dirt jumps halfway down, and a huge (I mean huge) tabletop at the bottom. Tell the guy at the ticket booth what you want to do and he'll direct you to some good stuff.

--Taylor

you said that the jumps are big, and you mean big. but how big is big? i want to know cuz the biggest ive jumped is about 6-8 foot.

·
Registered
343 Posts
the mtn man said:

--Taylor

you said that the jumps are big, and you mean big. but how big is big? i want to know cuz the biggest ive jumped is about 6-8 foot.
Don't worry bro, you can roll or bypass them if you want. There's just a lot of high speed areas, so it's pretty much as big as you're willing to go.

·
always learning
539 Posts
FXRob - if you've just stepped off the lift go straight about 150 feet until you just pass the BBQ and at the first road hang a left on 2N10. Go down the road a few hundred feet until you hit the first right turn. This takes you between 2 buildings and on a slight uphill. Follow this a bit until you see a lake (pond, small body of water, whatever) and stay on the left side of it. You'll ride over a grassy area and at the treeline you'll see the trail. If at any point you hit a wide well driven fireroad that heads downhill you've missed the entrance.

This takes you halfway down the mountain. At one point you'll hit mid-mountain trail, the interchange of the mountain. I honestly can't remember the directions from here BUT I think it's this...

The last part of Upper Falline is a pretty steep decent that ends into Mid-Mountain. Either you can make an immediate right or take the hard right track turn ('burm' maybe, I can't remember the word) . Either way, you want to go right from where you came down. Ride this pretty flat wide trail a few hundred feet until you see a left turn. I always know it because there's a triangle shaped grey rock by the trail. Hang a left onto it and ride that all the way down. It will dump you on a service road at which you hang a left. Take the back to the base.

When you get there ask for a map, it's marked on there. Getting to the start is the only tricky part. If you like I'll scan in the map when I get home tonight, let me know.

--Taylor

·
Registered
441 Posts
Like a few others my favorites are Falline and Westridge. I wouldn't really recomend falline if you new to DH(as the first run anyway) I think Summit Run, Log Chute, and Westridge would be the best to start on and all lead you right back to the base. I love the middle section of westridge with the table tops in the trees,smooth section with lots of table tops that you can just fly through. Tons of fun.

·
I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
Thanks for the directions, I actually have a map from when I was there a couple weeks ago. Just wanted to get some directions since the map isn't too clear. So Falline is pretty technical? I love Westridge and all those tabletops also, that was my favorite trail last time. Plan on heading up again this Friday ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
dmananderson said:
Every trail up at big bear is great. My two personal favorites are Fall line and westridge. Summit trail and Log Chute are also awesome. Westridge is very technical with some nice jumps at the bottom. Hope you have a good time.
you need to ride more spots man. I was so disappointed wiht bear. the dirt was rediculously loose, the turns are flat. i dunno, maybe i was way spoiled by whistler. Westridge was fun. Logchute seamed decent(i only went to ride it once, and got a flat at the top with no tube:(). But the jump on westridge at the bottom is like 17' maybe...its fun, just get alot of speed and youre good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts