Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've been looking at the Orbea Oiz M10 TR for about a year (and saving money for it). The 2020 with the shimano 12-speed drivetrain is almost exactly what I'd build if I started from frame up.

I've been thinking of getting the orange size large sometime over winter or next spring but don't have any Orbea dealers within 6 hours of my Northern Michigan location. With that situation, what are the best options for purchasing if I choose to pull the trigger in the next 6 months whether that be a shop that ships, online or forced to travel for purchase? Should I expect pricing to vary, or sales, depending on purchase location? Do they go for less than MSRP? Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm in a similar situation. Local dealers are either chain sporting goods stores or triathlon shops. None of the mainline LBS carry Orbea. JensonUSA is one place I'm looking. I also like the spec of the 2020 more than the 2019 - particularly the wheels and new Squidloc. There are a few 2019s out there but it would take a significant discount for me to purchase a 2019.

I also notice that with new models I think you may be able to order with upgraded wheels. It seems the DT Swiss XRC-1200 is a $1,300 upgrade which seems like a good deal. I believe these wheels MSRP is $2,800?? The stock wheels XR 1650s are special for Scott but certainly would be less than $1k. Am I looking at this right?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in a similar situation. Local dealers are either chain sporting goods stores or triathlon shops. None of the mainline LBS carry Orbea. JensonUSA is one place I'm looking. I also like the spec of the 2020 more than the 2019 - particularly the wheels and new Squidloc. There are a few 2019s out there but it would take a significant discount for me to purchase a 2019.

I also notice that with new models I think you may be able to order with upgraded wheels. It seems the DT Swiss XRC-1200 is a $1,300 upgrade which seems like a good deal. I believe these wheels MSRP is $2,800?? The stock wheels XR 1650s are special for Scott but certainly would be less than $1k. Am I looking at this right?
Agree with you. Right now it seems, unless I'm willing to order from dealer (or Orbea) and travel 6-8 hours to pick-up, my only option is to order from JensonUSA. I've ordered lots of parts from them with good experience but ordering a $5,000+ bike leaves me a little bit leery (maybe that's unjustified too and it'd be fine). I even went through registering on Orbea website only to find that if you order directly from Orbea it still has to be delivered to a bike shop to be picked up.

The upgraded wheels look nice but already would be spending a hefty amount for the full bike so I'll be sticking with the stock wheels, that still have DT Swiss 350s hubs which are no slouch themselves. Same performance as the 240 hubs but just a bit heavier.

Still hoping to get some more feedback from others that have purchased or maybe shops that sell Orbea to hear their thoughts.

Where are you located at with no dealers around?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Where are you located at with no dealers around?
I'm in the Dallas area. There ARE dealers but they are sporting goods stores (Sun and Ski) or Triathlon shops (Playtri). I called one Playtri and they went on an on about how hard it was to get Orbea's and that they had to order large quantities, they had to come from Spain, etc.... That made no sense since I can order one via the website and it shows delivery to a local dealer in a few days. That tells me it's coming from Orbea US in Ark.

Sun and Ski doesn't have the 2020s showing yet on their website but there are a few 2019s left. Neither would be my preference. I would rather buy from a regular LBS but none carry Orbea.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would rather buy from a regular LBS but none carry Orbea.
Are you thinking of going through JensonUSA, or willing too? I've also heard of a few people ordering sight unseen from an out of state/area LBS and then the LBS shipping to the customer. That might be an attractive option too if you can find a good out of area LBS that is willing to do that. The closest LBS dealer to me that I could order through Orbea and have shipped to LBS, and pick up there, is around 6-7 hrs. away and I'd like to avoid that much travel.

Really strange that a store is listed as a dealer and they are resistant to ordering for you. Could you order from Orbea and have shipped to that store for pick-up?

I'm pretty much set on the 2020 Oiz M10 TR too. Done a ton of research and it checks all the boxes for me. Full suspension, shimano drivetrain (I'm shimano guy and heard GREAT things about the shimano 12 speed), Fox stepcast 34, lifetime frame warranty, 2 water bottles in main triangle (that's a big one for me) and a very competitive price compared to others.

Good luck and let me know if you come up with any good options and hopefully others will chime in here.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am going to visit my local Sun and Ski in the next few days and 1. try to negotiate a really good deal on the 2019 they have (price match + club discount + ongoing promotions). If the answer is no I will ask about ordering the 2020. I also plan to try another Playtri location and ask about ordering. I have a slight preference for Shimano (ergonomics are better to me) but have ridden several demos with the SRAM recently and it is really good as well.

For me I have narrowed it down to the Oiz TR and the Scott 910. I demo'd both at Outerbike in Moab and demo'd the Scott on my local trail. I like the Scott and it is cheaper but also a little heavier. Playtri carries both locally.

I would be willing to order from JensonUSA if it ended up being the best deal. They seem to have a good reputation and have been around for a long time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Based off your demo's which did you prefer, the Scott or Orbea, and by how strong of a preference between the 2? Saw in your other thread, and replied to it there, that you were looking at XL Oiz TR. What height and inseam are you? Will give me a better picture as I'm thinking I'll be a large (6' and about 32" inseam) but may never demo or see one in person prior to placing an order.

·
Registered
5,996 Posts
I can't speak to your specific bike but MikesBikes shipped me a Rallon free of charge when no other stores had it in stack. I'd wager they could get you what ever you want. When I dealt with them they were VERY proactive on immediately returning phone calls etc. & were very knowledge/honest on the brand and what they could and could not do for me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Based off your demo's which did you prefer, the Scott or Orbea, and by how strong of a preference between the 2? Saw in your other thread, and replied to it there, that you were looking at XL Oiz TR. What height and inseam are you? Will give me a better picture as I'm thinking I'll be a large (6' and about 32" inseam) but may never demo or see one in person prior to placing an order.
I am 6'2" with 34 inseam. Longer torso. I tried the Scott in XL but had to drop the seat all the way- it has a longer seat tube and XL just wouldn't work. The Scott L fit we well. for the Orbea I demo'd the XL which is what they recommended. Looking at geometry it falls between the Scott L and XL. I had about 3/4" of seat post left on the XL. I really liked the Scott bike and went back the last day to demo the Orbea again but they had a special ride that I had not signed up for.
Scott was at my local trail two weeks later and I rode the exact same Scott 910 on my trail and liked it again. But I have no way to try the Orbea locally.
As of now I am more comfortable with the Scott just based on more demo time but it has an aluminum rear triangle and based on what I can dig up avgs about 1.5 lbs heavier. Only one bottle on the Scott but the Twinloc system is nice. The Orbea is $500 more expensive but is full carbon, lighter, and has a better spec (DT wheels, Fox Factory shocks). which justifies the difference. Scott does come with a 32 chainring which I like. 34 is fine for home but I travel to CO and a 32 would be nice there. Orbea also has a better warranty.
My son who is an accomplished roadie and new mountain biker liked the Scott more and based that on the suspension. The Orbea felt "squishier". But he was looking for more of a "race" bike and fell in love with the Canyon Lux.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was in the same boat as you all with ordering this bike but no local bike shop to order from. The closest dealer was five hours away. I ordered my 2019 Oiz TR from Jenson and could not be happier (except the wheels, the wheels are garbage, I am glad the 20 comes with DT swiss). I ordered it on a Friday afternoon, Monday was a holiday and got it on the following Friday. It is stupid easy to set up out of the box (which was huge). Basically all you do is open the box, take the packing off, put on the front wheel and your pedals, and adjust the seat. There is a check sheet that comes indicating who built it and what they tightened, etc. The wheels come with tubes in them so after my first ride I converted them to tubeless but overall I could not have been happier with the order.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was in the same boat as you all with ordering this bike but no local bike shop to order from. The closest dealer was five hours away. I ordered my 2019 Oiz TR from Jenson and could not be happier (except the wheels, the wheels are garbage, I am glad the 20 comes with DT swiss). I ordered it on a Friday afternoon, Monday was a holiday and got it on the following Friday. It is stupid easy to set up out of the box (which was huge). Basically all you do is open the box, take the packing off, put on the front wheel and your pedals, and adjust the seat. There is a check sheet that comes indicating who built it and what they tightened, etc. The wheels come with tubes in them so after my first ride I converted them to tubeless but overall I could not have been happier with the order.
So glad to hear of a positive experience going the Jenson route from someone first hand. Hopefully if warranty service is ever needed it doesn't become a hassle. Were you able to see the bike in person anywhere at all before ordering from Jenson? Or just ordered sight unseen? Are you still happy with the bike...minus the wheels ;), and what did you do for sizing? I'm liking the spec of the 2020 alot more than the 2019 and it's really pushing me to pull the trigger, though it may be early spring until I do.

·
Registered
31 Posts
As for the wheels - 2019 had narrow Mavic wheels (22mm) and the 2020 has 25mm DT Swiss. Best I can tell the XR-1650 is a model specifically made for Orbea that uses the welded rim from the 1501 with a 350 hub in place of the 240. A pretty decent stock wheelset.

That is the main reason I need a significant deal on a 2019 because I would upgrade wheels.

·
Registered
87 Posts
So glad to hear of a positive experience going the Jenson route from someone first hand. Hopefully if warranty service is ever needed it doesn't become a hassle. Were you able to see the bike in person anywhere at all before ordering from Jenson? Or just ordered sight unseen? Are you still happy with the bike...minus the wheels ;), and what did you do for sizing? I'm liking the spec of the 2020 alot more than the 2019 and it's really pushing me to pull the trigger, though it may be early spring until I do.
VERY happy. I have a full write up here where I discuss sizing and decisions leading me to buy the bike a little more
https://forums.mtbr.com/orbea/new-oiz-1081285-2.html#post14136953
post #369

Since then I have upgraded the rear wheel to a DT swiss 421 rim with SRAM 900 hub and will do the same with the front in a few months.
Sizing for me at 5'6" in a medium is perfect. I don't feel like I have lost any playfulness or maneuverability over a smaller frame. I wanted a bike that I could race xc, but also take to the bike park and have fun. Having the 120mm of travel is just right for me. Let me know if you have any other questions after reading the post l linked too.

I do need to mention one warranty issue. The reason I have a new rear wheel is because the mavic started to essentially bubble out on the drive side at the rim bead. I reached out to jenson (per mavic's policy when ordering through them) and they said the warranty through mavic was denied due to crash and collision. I was offered a discounted deal on a new wheel of my choice but I declined. My LBS then took the wheel, called mavic, e-mailed mavic, then sent pictures to mavic telling me that sometimes it carries more weight coming from a bike shop. They never even got a response. Mavic finally did send me a message to me after I left a 1-star review online and wanted me to call them in France and possibly exchange for an enduro/trail rim. They seemed to imply that the wheel my bike came with was wrongly spec'd and it wasn't their fault. They didn't even send it to my e-mail just responded to a post on their website. So that was frustrating.

Still, I would order a bike through Jenson again if I found no local dealers. I think this was just bad luck.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm just a tad over 6' and thinking about a 32" inseam. I had the the chance to ride a non TR, 100mm version, in size L in the parking lot and it felt small in the cockpit. And going with the TR, it shortens the reach by another 10cm. (Thinking back a contributing factor to the small feel was that it only had a 70mm ctem on it) So I ordered an XL without riding it.

The XL came with a 90mm stem on it which I swapped out for a 70. I'm pretty happy with the fit now after about an hour of riding. Looking at the geometry, the reach of the XL is 20mm longer than the L, so I could have probably gone either way, L with a ~90mm stem or XL with the 70mm. I personally like the shorter stem now and happy with my choice.

One thing to consider for with the XL and a shorter inseam is ou can only put the dropper in so far. Right now I'm at about 75cm from the center of the crank to the top of the seat if you measure up along the center of the seatpost. It could go down some from 75 but not sure how much. If your saddle height is shorter, ask and I'll tell you exactly how low the seat can go. Or if you need any other measurements I'll be happy to help out.

And yes, I remember looking at the reach of the Scott. The reach on the Orbea XL is right in the middle of the Scott L and XL. So the Orbea is a bit smaller bike on paper.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm just a tad over 6' and thinking about a 32" inseam. I had the the chance to ride a non TR, 100mm version, in size L in the parking lot and it felt small in the cockpit. And going with the TR, it shortens the reach by another 10cm. (Thinking back a contributing factor to the small feel was that it only had a 70mm ctem on it) So I ordered an XL without riding it.

The XL came with a 90mm stem on it which I swapped out for a 70. I'm pretty happy with the fit now after about an hour of riding. Looking at the geometry, the reach of the XL is 20mm longer than the L, so I could have probably gone either way, L with a ~90mm stem or XL with the 70mm. I personally like the shorter stem now and happy with my choice.

One thing to consider for with the XL and a shorter inseam is ou can only put the dropper in so far. Right now I'm at about 75cm from the center of the crank to the top of the seat if you measure up along the center of the seatpost. It could go down some from 75 but not sure how much. If your saddle height is shorter, ask and I'll tell you exactly how low the seat can go. Or if you need any other measurements I'll be happy to help out.

And yes, I remember looking at the reach of the Scott. The reach on the Orbea XL is right in the middle of the Scott L and XL. So the Orbea is a bit smaller bike on paper.
Thanks!
I visited a local dealer with a 2019 XL TR in stock Sat. I rode it for about 20 min on paved trails. My saddle height is 30” or about 76 cm and that results in about 1 in or 2cm of extra seatpost. The reach is good for me. No way I could ride a large. However they still have the 19 at full price. I told them no way. I will order a 20 which has a better spec for $100 less. Only Blue is available right now. I’m trying to decide between that and doing a custom MyO order for Feb. and whether to splurge for the carbon wheels.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thanks!
I visited a local dealer with a 2019 XL TR in stock Sat. I rode it for about 20 min on paved trails. My saddle height is 30” or about 76 cm and that results in about 1 in or 2cm of extra seatpost. The reach is good for me. No way I could ride a large. However they still have the 19 at full price. I told them no way. I will order a 20 which has a better spec for $100 less. Only Blue is available right now. I’m trying to decide between that and doing a custom MyO order for Feb. and whether to splurge for the carbon wheels.
An option:

If you go stock, yeah the 1650 wheelset seems to be pretty decent. I think mine weighed in at 1705g and 25mm internal. You would get your bike quicker if that's important.

Then order a set of LB wheels for around the $1300 upcharge the DT wheels upgrade would cost. https://www.lightbicycle.com/Hand-b...rim-profile-carbon-fiber-mtb-29er-wheels.html. Clicked through the build and I get $1325 for I9 Hydras and D-Light spokes. On paper about the weight.

My LBS can order the LB rims and does custom builds. I assume they could get the entire wheel too. You'd have two wheelsets for about the same price. I had mine built with 32/32 D-Lights and brass nipples, ended up a little heavier @1510g but more durable. .Wheelbuilder doesn't like alloy nipples as they can corrode.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I ordered an Orbea Alma from Jenson because it was by far the best price compared to all other places. I couldn’t be more satisfied with the service from Jenson. Bike was well packed in a huge box. Just take out of the box, put on front wheel, pedals, and you’re ready to ride. As far as warranty, I registered it with Orbea for frame warranty. Jenson usually has the best deals on Orbeas. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How often does Jenson have sales on Orbea bikes? I have my eye on the Oiz M10 TR and am hoping there’ll be a sale on the 2020s soon.

·
Registered
407 Posts
How often does Jenson have sales on Orbea bikes? I have my eye on the Oiz M10 TR and am hoping there’ll be a sale on the 2020s soon.
I wouldn't count on Sales soon. The 2021 launch is being pushed out this year.

What size are you looking for? I have an extra M10 TR size Large with custom paint coming in that a customer had to cancel.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts