Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
My wife and I are looking for a place to retire in 8yrs. We both enjoy MTB, and starting to look for land near some nice trials ( long single,nice climbs). Would be nice not to have to drive you know “out the back door type of stuff”. Not afraid to help build new, but would like to find a place that is well established and would like to be part of an active riders group taking care of it.
Thank you for any pointers

Take care,
Max

·
Registered
190 Posts
sailwike said:
My wife and I are looking for a place to retire in 8yrs. We both enjoy MTB, and starting to look for land near some nice trials ( long single,nice climbs). Would be nice not to have to drive you know "out the back door type of stuff". Not afraid to help build new, but would like to find a place that is well established and would like to be part of an active riders group taking care of it
Knoxville is a good place in the center of action. I lived there 20+ years and still enjoy a long commute. The local spots highlighted in the the 1st reply are great, but everything else is going to require driving 45 min to 2 hrs and there is no biking in the GSMNP. If you want to be out in the wild you may look toward something on the Plateau around the Big South Fork area. Cost of living is also cheaper away from Knoxville w/out city property taxes. Of course shopping/dining opportunities are limited too, but a 90 min drive into town once a month is not unbearable. At any rate East TN is where you want to be for the prime outdoor recreation. Good luck.

·
\m/{-_-}\m/
726 Posts
I've been wanting to ask this question too but I've been thinking about Chattanooga. From what I've seen there is some good mountain and road riding in the area and I like that it's kinda close to Atlanta for when I get a craving for the big city lol.

Anybody have any info on the "nooga"? I've been through there and through Knoxville but haven't spent enough time in either to make an educated decision.

·
n3rd
253 Posts
Sun Burn said:
I've been wanting to ask this question too but I've been thinking about Chattanooga. From what I've seen there is some good mountain and road riding in the area and I like that it's kinda close to Atlanta for when I get a craving for the big city lol.

Anybody have any info on the "nooga"? I've been through there and through Knoxville but haven't spent enough time in either to make an educated decision.
I've heard really good things about Chattanooga, there is an older thread on this board that was talking up places to live in the TN area a while back with some good info.. I would search for it myself but I'm quite lazy and not fond of the search feature :D :thumbsup:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Don't forget to check out Chattanooga..... we have a lot happening here in the way of trail advocacy that will quadruple the current miles of trail presently opened to mountain biking, within 30 minutes of Chattanooga, by 2015.

Notable trails within the city limits of Chattanooga:

- Booker T. Washington State Park ~ 5.6 miles of intermediate trail.

- Harrison Bay State Park ~ 4.5 miles of beginner trail.

- Raccoon Mountain ~ 22.5 miles of intermediate trail, approved to construct +7.5 additional miles once environmental survey is completed. (Trail head in Chattanooga, but the majority of the trail is in outside city limits. 15 minutes from downtown.)

- Enterprise South ~ SORBA-Chattanooga has just signed a MOU with the city to build 10 miles of intermediate singletrack, with potential to construct more after the first 10 is completed. It is possible to have a 30 miles trail network here.

- Stinger's Ridge ~ If the Trust for Public Land is able to purchase this property, they would like us to construct a trail system there. It is estimated we could construct approximately 7.5 miles of trail.

Notable trails within 30 minutes of downtown Chattanooga:

- Chester Frost Park - Pinky's Point area ~ Approximately 5 miles of tight and twisty trail.

- Lula Lake Land Trust (opened to pubic first and last weekend of each month) ~ 2 miles of singletrack and 12.5 miles of forest service roads. Plans are currently underway to connect the Lula Lake Land Trust to Cloudland Canyon State Park (no bike trail yet) through an area referred to as 5-Points. Six miles of the Connector trail has already been constructed with 6 more to go. Goal is to have the connector and 5-Points fully constructed and opened by December 2010.

*** Prentice Cooper State Forest ~ I have been working on a huge trail network that will contain over 150 miles that will cross public/semi-public and private lands. The biggest issue will be to get permission (easements, mou's or purchase land) from about 15 private land owners. This trail system will connect with Raccoon Mountain and the Chattanooga Riverwalk when completed. Project start date ?.

Notable trails within about 60 minutes of downtown Chattanooga:

- Chilhowee Trail System ~ 25 miles of mostly singletrack trail.

- Tanasi Trail System ~ 32 miles of mostly singletrack trail.

- Franklin State Forest ~ 25 miles of singletrack trail.

- Georgia Pinhoti Trail (and all other Dalton, GA area trails)

Outside magizine ranked Chattanooga #2 in the nation to live in for outdoor recreation.

National Geographic Explorer ranked Chattanooga #11 in the nation to live in for outdoor recreation.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I am partial to East TN as I was born there, but after moving away we checked out Asheville, NC and have to say it was very nice also. As others have said Chattanooga should be high on the list along with Knoxville.

·
dragin' fly
57 Posts
+ 1 for WNC. i lived in east TN and have moved to WNC. So much USFS land- the trail systems in pisgah and nantahala are unmatched. not much industry(but your retiring,right). land prices are higher and you will have to pay state income tax, but you get what you pay for. Our small towns depend on tourism $ so come have a look. Asheville is definately the coolest town in the southeast. chattanooga is also a cool town and growing rapidly(fairly close to atlanta). knoxville strikes me as dirty and i hate orange. cheap land in tri cities, but a little *******. only bummer- any of these locations are a haul from the beach.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i grew up in elizabethton, tennessee, which is in the extreme northeast corner of tennessee. i love it there; there are fire roads in the cherokee national forest a few miles from my parents' home, buffalo mountain is nearby with great trails, the warriors path trails are nearby as well,watauga lake is my favorite lake in tennessee, the appalachian trail runs nearby (if you like to hike), and sugar and beech mountain are 20-30 miles away, so you can ski or snowboard in the winter and mountain bike there in the summer. asheville, nc is an hour away, also. johnson city is the biggest city in the area and it is not that bad of a place. lots of people are building huge homes around the lake and roan mountain, as land is cheaper there than just across the border in north carolina.

i went to college in knoxville, and loved living there. you're near the gsmnp, you can ride at haw ridge, it is a decent sized city with good restaurants, etc. but you do have to be a volunteer fan to live there.

i lived in chattanooga for a short period after i went to law school. i love chattanooga. the local sorba chapter is building a new trail system every day, it seems like. i am planning on riding at raccoon mountain in a few months. the tanasi trails are worth the drive alone. and if you climb or kayak, chattanooga is world class. i live in memphis now (sadly), but if i could pick anywhere in tennessee to live, it would be chattanooga. it is a fun city with a great downtown and the outdoor opportunities are awesome.

i really like asheville, nc, too, but you said you were looking in tennessee so i won't bring that up...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.