Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
zip it up, zip it out
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here

looking for good websites, to visaully explain technique. Coming down hills, climbing hills (thats a big one for me ), as well as genral power tips.

any help is appercaited!

if some one has a tip for these topics to share on here that is welcome too

·
Registered
63 Posts
Reading books is a good place to start just to get the general idea, but actually getting out there and doing is is the way to go. Nothing substitutes for experience. Also, ride with people that are better than you.

The biggest thing you will need to learn is center of gravity. Once your body figures that out your riding skills will improve dramatically.

Good luck,

CG

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Practice makes perfect, Grasshopper.

Going down: get off the seat, keep your arms and legs bent to use as suspension, keep your weight back, hold lightly the seat with your inner thighs to help steer. this called the attack position. Use both brakes but be care full with the front brake. It's more powerfull and can send you over the bars. When down over logs and big rocks release the front brake for a second to allow the front wheel to roll out of the drop off. Brake before the turns. Keep the bike under you. maintain traction and ride within your limits.

Going up: Shift your weight forward slightly to keep your front wheel from floating off the ground. Arms bent at the elbow almost at 90 degrees. Body forward but face close to the handle bars. Don''t lean to far forward or your rear wheel will spin out. Climbing is about balance. Too far forward and you will spin the rear wheel, too far back and you will do a wheelie. so creep foraward and stay low and pull down and back on the bars to use your upper body strength to generate power and muscle through tough spots.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Check out www.totalvid.com. They are a video on demand service that has several instructional mountain bike videos. You can get a free trial for like 7 days or sign up for $10 a month to watch as many videos as you like. Mastering The Art of Trials with Ryan Leech is my favorite - really useful techniques even if you are not into trials riding. I also liked the Ned Overend video which is more cross country oriented. Actually if you do the 7 day trial just watch them all. Books and web guides are okay but I find it really helps me understand how a technique flows by seeing it 30fps slow motion in a video.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Books and websites help, but the best way to get better is to just ride.
Confidence is a huge factor, if you want to make it and give it your best, you eventually will do it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I went to a level 1 camp with BetterRide and could not have been happier with the results. I learned a lot at the camp and continue to apply the things I learned there on the trail every time I ride. Yes, it's more expensive than a book or video, but on the bike learning is second to none.

http://www.betterride.net/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.