Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of organizing a couple day camping trip for some buddies and I this summer. Preferably a camp ground with plenty of trails near by and 1-2 hours from Santa Cruz. I have always wanted to check out the Marin area or Pacifica. Maybe Big Sur? Any suggestions?

·
Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
3,205 Posts
Those areas above are great, might I suggest Fort Bragg / Mendocino ? 3.5 hour drive from Bay Area, guide service available through BIKE SPRITE. Camping at Mac Kerricher, fills SUPER fast. Other nearby sites are good too.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
What kind of riding are you looking to do? Henry Coe has the riding ,must likely too hot.Marin you could camp at China Camp, single track but only a short day ride or Samuel Taylor ,not much single track ,allot of fire road.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All mountain/ general all around trail riding. Technical/advanced would be proffered but up for anything.

·
3,205 Posts
Mendocino is not advanced, it is just flowy smooth, unmolested trails in the cool coastal weather. It gets a little challenging the faster you go, especially first time.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Another vote for Mendo / Fort Bragg. Trails aren't advanced, but if you're hauling ass the tight narrow trails can certainly be tricky. And climbing steep, twisty, narrow trails is a skill you can always brush up on. If you're looking for gnarly DH stuff, don't bother. But if you're up for something new and can be happy riding amazing trails, it's a great place for a camping trip. You could even spend a night above shelter cove at Paradise Royale. There's at least a skills park with some jumps and burms. Maybe more driving then you want, with less of the gnar gnar, but believe me, it will be a great weekend.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Increase the travel time and go to Downieville. Camping galore and the trails put the arrrrrr in gnarrrrrrr.
I'm hoping to race DVille this year. Even if I can't get into the All Mountain the XC still sounds like a good time.

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,678 Posts
Super chunk gnar? Go to D'ville.

Wants sweet camping, temperate climate, and swoopy singletrack buried under huge redwoods? Mendo it is!

And I'll also highly recommend the MendoBikeSprite folks to show you the best best best on offer without helplessly getting lost trying to find the goods on your own. Best bang for your Buck-Mile well spent.

·
3,205 Posts
Now I feel like a dope for not suggesting Downieville. Well, that was easy. And, campsites are super cheap! Weather is pretty awesome mid summer. I like the weather ALL summer too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts