Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Where to get syringes

8K views 41 replies 20 participants last post by  Warp 
#1 ·
I need a syringe to measure and squirt some oil into my forks. Where could I get one of them?

-Nathan

#6 ·
ned13b said:
I need a syringe to measure and squirt some oil into my forks. Where could I get one of them?

-Nathan
I got one that is used for measuring RC airplane fuel at a hobby shop... It is large enough to fill a whole fork at one time but still seems to be accurate enough. It is just a giant syringe with a hose connected to it and it is graduated in ML and CC.

#11 ·
cdub said:
you can always get one from enduro seals website
You probably have to order ten at once, at least enduro is doing something similer with their seals now to us dealers (making us order a bunch when we just want one).

#12 ·
Not.

Jm. said:
You probably have to order ten at once, at least enduro is doing something similer with their seals now to us dealers (making us order a bunch when we just want one).
Of course anyone can order one oil syringe or one seal kit, including dealers. Minimums only apply to dealers who want the wholesale discount and they only have to order a minimum of 5 seal kits to get it. Not only that, it's mix and match any kits. You really think that's unreasonable?

As for the MixMizers, there are many places to buy them cheaper than our site, but they are there for a matter of convenience. There's no extra shipping to add one and it saves you a trip to the store if you are ordering a seal kit anyway.

#16 ·
Chris2fur said:
Of course anyone can order one oil syringe or one seal kit, including dealers. Minimums only apply to dealers who want the wholesale discount and they only have to order a minimum of 5 seal kits to get it. Not only that, it's mix and match any kits. You really think that's unreasonable?
Yes, I think it's a bad business practice and will drive away dealer customers. As much a few people like to work on their own forks, I don't think it helps to be pressuring the dealers to order more. As the fox seals get better (and marz has always been pretty great) you'll find more dealers turn to to the OEM seals because they can call up fox, or marz, and get a seal kit.

#18 ·
Jm. said:
Yes, I think it's a bad business practice and will drive away dealer customers. As much a few people like to work on their own forks, I don't think it helps to be pressuring the dealers to order more. As the fox seals get better (and marz has always been pretty great) you'll find more dealers turn to to the OEM seals because they can call up fox, or marz, and get a seal kit.
How is it bad business? No one is being forced to buy more, it's an incentive. No matter what industry you're in, just about any vendor offers discount incentives on bulk orders, the more you order the bigger the incentive.

When my shop buys more than $30,000 of K2 ski and snowboard product, we get a 17% discount off wholesale. If we only ordered 10,000, we'd get a 5% disc. Those that don't offer an incentive are the ones practicing bad business.

#21 ·
mattsavage said:
No one is being forced to buy more, it's an incentive. .
No, you are forced to buy 5.

That is unless you think it's right to mark up a $25 seal to around $45 bucks. As a dealer, I'm not going to mark up a seal that cost me $25 to $45 because that's much higher than a seal should cost, but that is what enduro seals is forcing us to do if we just need one. So if we get it for "x" amount of dollars, and do our "standard" mark up, you'll scream bloody murder about how high our prices are and how we are just out there trying to rape you.

It's awesome that your shop has $30,000 lying around to buy a new round of K2 stuff, but I work at a small shop and we don't just sit there and sell bikes all day long...

#23 ·
Jm. said:
No, you are forced to buy 5.

That is unless you think it's right to mark up a $25 seal to around $45 bucks. As a dealer, I'm not going to mark up a seal that cost me $25 to $45 because that's much higher than a seal should cost, but that is what enduro seals is forcing us to do if we just need one. So if we get it for "x" amount of dollars, and do our "standard" mark up, you'll scream bloody murder about how high our prices are and how we are just out there trying to rape you..
So, if I follow you, you buy the seal kit at regular retail price off the website, just like everyone else. Then you mark it up by 20 bucks to "cover your costs", maybe earn a small profit? Why not just charge the customer the cost of the kit plus shipping and labor to install it? That would be a fair practice. It's really no skin off your back.

The entire idea behind the Enduro website is to make these items accessible to the consumer directly and avoid ridiculous dealer markup. If I want fork parts that aren't covered by warranty, I can't call up Manitou and get them. I have to go through a wholesaler or a shop to get it. I just ordered a new spring for my Swinger and paid $16 shipping on a 14oz package! I shipped an entire Sherman fork for $8 to NY not two weeks ago. I never saw a packing slip or shipping label, but I guarantee you it didn't cost 16 dollars to ship that spring.

I think shops like yours are the ones with questionable business practices.

#24 ·
mattsavage said:
So, if I follow you, you buy the seal kit at regular retail price off the website, just like everyone else. Then you mark it up by 20 bucks to "cover your costs", maybe earn a small profit? Why not just charge the customer the cost of the kit plus shipping and labor to install it? That would be a fair practice. It's really no skin off your back.
It is skin off my back, and food off my plate. The seals will retail for $30 or so. So I should buy the seals for $30 and sell them for $30? You gotta be kidding. That's not a fair practice, that's screwing me. Why don't we just let customers buy everything at wholesale then?

I say the idea behind the enduro seal pricing/buying policy is flawed because they are assuming that there's a huge amount of people out there that can change the seal themselves, and I can say that this just isn't true. This website is not indicitive of the public in this regard.

#25 ·
Jm. said:
It is skin off my back, and food off my plate. The seals will retail for $30 or so. So I should buy the seals for $30 and sell them for $30? You gotta be kidding. That's not a fair practice, that's screwing me. Why don't we just let customers buy everything at wholesale then?

I say the idea behind the enduro seal pricing/buying policy is flawed because they are assuming that there's a huge amount of people out there that can change the seal themselves, and I can say that this just isn't true. This website is not indicitive of the public in this regard.
We are not assuming that there are a huge number of people who can change their own fork seals. We know there are. We sell to them everyday. MTBers tend to be rugged individualists who like to know how their own stuff works and do it themselves.

However, many would like to walk in and pick the seals up at the LBS. By buying five kits (again, of any combo of models) you get enough of a discount to "keystone" them. Many shops buy from us under this program and have no trouble selling them. They place orders on a regular basis. They install them when they service forks and sell the kits the DIYers. I'm sorry you are so concerned about whether or not you will be able to move five seal kits. Do you guys service forks or what? We are not talking a huge investment here--they're seal kits, not bikes. With all the things in the world to be up in arms about, why are acting like you're being oppressed or something? I'm presuming you had a bad day or have an axe to grind for some other reason.

#26 ·
Chris2fur said:
With all the things in the world to be up in arms about, why are acting like you're being oppressed or something? I'm presuming you had a bad day or have an axe to grind for some other reason.
Nope, it's called business. To compete in today with the walmart down the block, we have to hit every aspect of the business with a microscope and make sure that it's as efficiant as possible. You are trying to increase your proffits and it sounds like something went bad with QBP, but the current system does not work as well as it did when we could get seals from QBP. It's a business, not a charity, and it's treated like a business down to the little pump straps and handlebar tape. With your current practice to force dealers to buy sets of five, I'm sure you can understand this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.