Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have a lazy-ass rear deraileur (shimano LX). I am 99% sure my sluggish up shifting is due to a weak spring. Anyone know where I can get a SRAM Bassworm on-line? Preferably a Canadian dealer (as there will be no mystery customs charges)? But I'd look into getting one from the US if it wasn't going to cost more than a new derailleur.

Or any other solutions to a weak springed deraileur??

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks!

·
Registered
582 Posts
I used to use one back in the day, almost 10 years ago now. I still have it kicking around somewhere. Really though it's not worth the effort. i'd go for a new derailluer if your's is shot.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
I have a new Bassworm you are welcome to; I'll check back.

I would first service your derailleur by removing it, flushing the springs with WD-40 while you work the pivots, and then drip in a Teflon lube.

Good shifting is such a necessity I would address it at the root cause as suggested in the post above.

·
Registered
18,576 Posts
chomp said:
Hey all,

I have a lazy-ass rear deraileur (shimano LX). I am 99% sure my sluggish up shifting is due to a weak spring. Anyone know where I can get a SRAM Bassworm on-line? Preferably a Canadian dealer (as there will be no mystery customs charges)? But I'd look into getting one from the US if it wasn't going to cost more than a new derailleur.

Or any other solutions to a weak springed deraileur??

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks!
You've probably already ruled this out, but your cables aren't old and gunked up are they?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses...

I found out yesterday that SRAM doesn't make them any longer and it was kind of a rinky dink thing that sorta worked. I guess my $ are better spent on a new deraileur when this one is really done.

I also cleaned everything up quite well, it must the the spring. I noticed the spring is a lot lighter duty on the LX than the XT I have on another bike.

Thanks for offering up the Bassworm too, but like I say, may as well just buy a new der.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.