Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ive been searching this forum for awhile using all the word combos i could think of, and this may be a very stupid question but where do you find the closeout deals/bike deals. Your Lbs? If i was going to buy online, what sites would you recommend buying bikes from and have good deals? I always see people saying i just got a great deal at closeout and I would just like to know where to look. Im sorry i this topic is beat to death but i honestly could not find any info searching here and google. Any help would be awesome. thanks

·
Registered
397 Posts
First and foremost, check with your LBS. I've got one near my house that always puts last year's bikes on sale at 20-30% off in January(ish).

Also try:

Wheelworld.com

Jensonusa.com

·
1/2 fast or 1/2 assed?
641 Posts
i found a 09 Fuji for $300 off MSRP. Most bikes cant be shipped bc manufacturers want the bike to fit the customer by your LBS. Look for complete bike on online retailer and in the small print it has a disclaimer explaining why they cant ship.

Id call all of your LBSs in the area and ask what sales they have on last years models.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, i thought these were the answers i expected but I wanted to be sure, Im always reading about people getting good deals and I wanna be one of them. thanks

·
Registered
814 Posts

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
My experience, where I live, is that I have to: a) get lucky, b) have some ready cash when I get lucky, c) be willing to buy whatever model it is that happens to be on sale.

·
Is dang happy!
1,384 Posts
Not my favorite place to shop but Performance has had some deals on GT peace 29'ers for a while. Randall Scott is another dubious company that sells at a pretty heavy discount also.

Bikes Direct has a lot of fans but JensonUSA is the only place I have gone to for bikes and I can pro-form a few every year.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
qdawgg said:
What are you looking for (hard tail or full suspension)

What price range
Too be realistic a hardtail, and I'm leaning towards a 29er. I demo'd last weekend both jamis exiles, spec hardrock ( which was super stiff ) lbs said it was towards the racing side and the exiles were more for comfort. The only other 29er ive rode was a friends for about 30 min which was a jamis durango, I'm not really wanting a jamis, i really wanna ride some more but inventory around here is lacking latley. I'm coming off a trek 4900 09'. I still consider myself a beginner but, I push that bike past its limits. My price range is 1,500 for right now. Im also looking at a trek 6700 disc online, for a really good deal but i wanna be sure that i dont want a 29er first. So i guess once i found that deal I cant pass up ill be happy, but until then i guess ill keep seaching for hours a day. Thanks everyone. nick

·
Is dang happy!
1,384 Posts
1500 will get a nice ride!

Backyard Pro said:
Too be realistic a hardtail, and I'm leaning towards a 29er. I demo'd last weekend both jamis exiles, spec hardrock ( which was super stiff ) lbs said it was towards the racing side and the exiles were more for comfort. The only other 29er ive rode was a friends for about 30 min which was a jamis durango, I'm not really wanting a jamis, i really wanna ride some more but inventory around here is lacking latley. I'm coming off a trek 4900 09'. I still consider myself a beginner but, I push that bike past its limits. My price range is 1,500 for right now. Im also looking at a trek 6700 disc online, for a really good deal but i wanna be sure that i dont want a 29er first. So i guess once i found that deal I cant pass up ill be happy, but until then i guess ill keep seaching for hours a day. Thanks everyone. nick
The Fisher X-caliber and Redline D660 go for that and you should get either a Fox or Reba at that price point.

Search the massive 29er forum or make a post there to see what is going to be available in 2011.

·
1/2 fast or 1/2 assed?
641 Posts
Backyard Pro said:
Heres a 6700 http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=52494&cat=4

I just picked up my Fuji yesterday (09 Tahoe Comp 29) & I cant wait to get some work put in. Im coming off a 15+ year hiatus so its gonna be awhile before I outgrow it. If youve outgrown the Trek Id say youre not really a beginner. Try to get a look a the Fisher/Trek 29ers. You obviously are a fan of Treks work.

Have you seen this one?http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/gary_fisher_collection/29er_hardtail/sawyer/

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ive been unlucky and havent had the opportunity to test out a lot of bikes due to poor inventory. I really wanna be able to see the differences in components, forks etc. i do like the G fish bikes but they have the g2 which makes it limited in upgrades. I seen that 6700 and i love the way it looks, but I really wanna be sure i dotn want a 29er before i get another 26'. In my dream world i'de like to have a fast ht 29er and FS 26'. Im going to keep pounding away and hopefully soon I can post a deal that I got.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also if i thought I could, which with tons of research I probably could, i would buy a frame and build, but again there's so much to consider with that and im such a beginner in the knowledge area.

·
bikeboatbrewski
1,396 Posts
I scored an 09 Cdale Moto4 for $1550 shipped off ebay, bike was advertised as a demo but when it came it was still in the factory box, brand spankin new.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
My LBS had a 2 year old model on closeout for 800 bucks off. Trek 2008 EX7. I never would have bought a full suspension if I hadnt seen the deal. Its good and bad. Good that I got a great deal, bad that I'm hooked on full suspension from hereon :( I was happy with 1000 dollar bikes before, probably looking at 1000 to 2500 :( for my next bike. Ignorance is bliss.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I checked out giantnerd and seen the Bamf bikes but there's no feedback on them. So Im sketchy on them. But they seem to have good components etc. Also found an 09 rockhopper comp 29er for about 500 off so far, so i may hop on that for the time being to have something to ride, and keep a lookout for deals.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts