Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ride has a 58 tooth chainring and I'm trying to find a cassette that has a 34 granny without the big drop down to 26/28 that I see everywhere for sale. Ideal would be something like 34-32-30-28 then whatever. I bought a 32t chainring only to find that it would let my chain ride on top of my swingarm, damn it, LOL. I have a 96 Super V 4000 that I'm turning into a trail bike. It climbs very well for a DH bike, just need some bigger cogs on the back and I'll be set.

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
You might have to make one up from a couple cassettes. The lower end SRAM's come apart by removing one small screw. Get your 8 speed (32) and a 9 speed (34) and piece them together. The cogs are essentially the same, but you need the spacers that come with the 8 speed.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,908 Posts
autobon7 said:
My ride has a 58 tooth chainring and I'm trying to find a cassette that has a 34 granny without the big drop down to 26/28 that I see everywhere for sale. Ideal would be something like 34-32-30-28 then whatever. I bought a 32t chainring only to find that it would let my chain ride on top of my swingarm, damn it, LOL. I have a 96 Super V 4000 that I'm turning into a trail bike. It climbs very well for a DH bike, just need some bigger cogs on the back and I'll be set.
34-32-30-28 is really, really, tight spacing. 34-30 is a pretty normal jump. Yeah, I find the cassettes with the super 34-28 or 34-26 jump to be a bit silly. It is hard to find 8 speeds with a 34t cog that don't have the big jump.

Can you get something between a 32t and a 58t? That's a crazy big difference. Or did you mean to say you have a 38t ring?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts