Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
All That is Man
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do they even make these with large offsets anymore? There used to be some good options with 1-2" of offset. Titec had a nifty bent one with a 2" or so offset. The Salsa shaft is the only one I've been able to find with a decent offset (about 1") and it's on sale, but I was hoping for more like 2". The Thompson layback has slightly less.

I'm experimenting with the cockpit layout of my current bike before my next big frame/fork purchase, so buying something crazy expensive isn't an option. I found some BMX posts, but those have rediculous bends and I think they are all the wrong diameter. (need it in 31.6mm)

·
Professional Crastinator
6,643 Posts
Dude, I think your 29er seatpost is about to get moderated right outta here.

It's not for me to say 2" setback is enough/too much, but that sounds like your top tube is wayyyy too short, or your bike is the wrong size. It might be easier to just test ride a different bike if you are in search of a particular fit.

-F

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hah, 29er of course.

Yeah my top tube is way too short. I think. I won't know until I get a seatpost that's setback enough to give me more room to experiment with. It's also tough to want to experiment with other frames when even a super cheap frame is likely more expensive than what I'm currently running (bikesdirect frame)

·
All That is Man
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hah, 29er of course.

Yeah my top tube is way too short. I think. I won't know until I get a seatpost that's setback enough to give me more room to experiment with. It's also tough to want to experiment with other frames when even a super cheap frame is likely more expensive than what I'm currently running (bikesdirect frame)
Oops, Slabshaft is me posting from my work computer.

Anyway. . . . .

Well this one has a 38mm offset, but it's meant for pushing the seat of a tri bike forward. I'm wondering it it matters and can just be reversed?

Otherwise, this one in carbon has a 30mm offset and is a lot cheaper. I may just try this one and see how it goes.

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Honestly, if your in search of a post with 1-2" of set back. Your frame is way to small. Specifically the TT length. Don't even waste money on post. Start test riding larger frames. You have any riding buddies with larger bikes? ETT is by far the most important thing in frame sizing. Why so many people get hung up on stand over is beyond me.

·
Registered
8,672 Posts
Nothing wrong with an inch set back. I think that used to be more of a norm than a straight up post. It's a good option if, for example, you want to reduce your stem length from 100 to 75mm.

If you use a 1" set back post and can keep your stem at 100 or less, that's a fine fit. If you need to go to a 120mm stem, some would call that long but I used one for years. It would work, even if it doesn't fit the the textbook ideal. Not everyone can just go out and buy a new bike.

Of course the bottom line is if it feels ok to you or not. If you can't get comfortable by playing with stem/seat positions, then you need a different frame.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.