Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
bonkin' clyde
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
By Hybrid fork I mean: pannier mounts (preferable but not absolutely necessary), V-brake mounts for a 26" wheel AND a dual-pivot brake mount up top of the arc for a 700C wheel. The 1" steerer tube for my old Giant Rincon I'm converting to a tourer. I'm goin' roadie it seems, and lovin' it too. But don't worry, my NRS and Mantra get nuff lovin'.

Edit: the steerer tube needs to be long enough for a standard 1" 'road' stem, not a quill stem.

Surfed eBay a bit, but didn't turn up favorable results. Any advice will be much appreciated.

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
Don't let Crusty bother you. I see nothing wrong with wanting to run 700c wheels in your mountain bike for road use. It is still a mountain bike afterall. I would think a non-suspension corrected 26" fork will work with 700c wheels and long reach dual pivot brakes. I recently built up a frankenbike using an old road frame and a cheap 26" cruiser fork. Using an old Dia-compe long reach single pivot brake, I was able to get the pads to line up with a 700c rim. This setup had good tire clearance as well. I think what I was using was a 35c width tire with room to spare. Here is a basic steel fork I found on bikeman.com.

http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/COMPFKMTNR/FK2431

Hopefully, that will get you headed in the right direction. Good luck.

·
bonkin' clyde
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you!

bikerboy said:
Don't let Crusty bother you. I see nothing wrong with wanting to run 700c wheels in your mountain bike for road use. It is still a mountain bike afterall. I would think a non-suspension corrected 26" fork will work with 700c wheels and long reach dual pivot brakes. I recently built up a frankenbike using an old road frame and a cheap 26" cruiser fork. Using an old Dia-compe long reach single pivot brake, I was able to get the pads to line up with a 700c rim. This setup had good tire clearance as well. I think what I was using was a 35c width tire with room to spare. Here is a basic steel fork I found on bikeman.com.

http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/COMPFKMTNR/FK2431

Hopefully, that will get you headed in the right direction. Good luck.
Bingo baby, that was what I was looking for. I figured some rigid riders and or 'queer' mtbers would be able to give me some help. Thanks man.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.