Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Evolutionsverlierer
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I have 3 different size torque wrenches that need to be recalibrated and nothing I could find locally in WNC.

Where do the pros here send theirs?

Thank you.

·
Magically Delicious
14,171 Posts

·
Evolutionsverlierer
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Evolutionsverlierer
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have to have calibrated tools, but there considerable information out there for performing your own rough calibrations.
My biggest one is 20 to 200 NM so I might try that with that one but the smallest one goes from 2-25NM so I am not sure if I want to that with that one.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
You can validate the weight and arm, but how do you calibrate a click type torque wrench?
Hang the calculated weight from the middle of the hand hold, with the wrench parallel to the floor. Clamp a socket/bolt/whatever in a vise to facilitate it.

It's quick, dirty, and in absolutely no way as accurate as professional service (nor is it likely that you'll be able to adjust it correctly unless you've done it before, but...you know).

At best, it confirms that the tool is fine. At worst, it confirms you need to send it in to be corrected.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Great topic i need to learn about. I have an electronic snapon, which a mechanic buddy says he can have his snapon dealer calibrate. If i get that done, i’m thinking i can maybe use it as a reference to check my mechanical (smaller) park torque at home. Torque a bolt with the calibrated one, then compare the uncalibrated to see if it “agrees” with the torque set by the first one. Does that sound reasonable?

or since the smaller park one is only a few months old, maybe assume it is still calibrated and check if both match for more confirmation before bothering my buddy by getting the snapon professionally checked?

·
Magically Delicious
14,171 Posts
You can validate the weight and arm, but how do you calibrate a click type torque wrench?
Hang the calculated weight from the middle of the hand hold, with the wrench parallel to the floor. Clamp a socket/bolt/whatever in a vise to facilitate it.
At best, it confirms that the tool is fine. At worst, it confirms you need to send it in to be corrected.
The problem is that you need many certified weights. A torque wrench accuracy is validated through the full range of the wrench. When you apply a weight, you are only validating the accuracy at one torque setting at a given setting. Okay, it's accurate at 100 inch lbs. I want accuracy along the full range off settings. What about the accuracy of the full range?

But my question was: How do you calibrate the torque wrench to bring it within specification for your 'One weight/torque setting?

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Great topic i need to learn about. I have an electronic snapon, which a mechanic buddy says he can have his snapon dealer calibrate. If i get that done, i'm thinking i can maybe use it as a reference to check my mechanical (smaller) park torque at home. Torque a bolt with the calibrated one, then compare the uncalibrated to see if it "agrees" with the torque set by the first one. Does that sound reasonable?

or since the smaller park one is only a few months old, maybe assume it is still calibrated and check if both match for more confirmation before bothering my buddy by getting the snapon professionally checked?
You need a torque sensor. You can't 'check' the torque on a bolt/screw because static friction is higher than the friction of the fastener being tightened. That is, to get the screw to come undone, for instance, will take more than the 5nm it took to tighten it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.