·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for an 04 spec. rockhopper, please give site for one you reccomend

·
Registered
656 Posts
that other guy told me to get the nashbar conversion kit. I'm going to get it, i just hope it fits on my hub.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im ignorant when it comes to this, so mabye "they" don't, but what is a list of things i need for this

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks alot, but i have 2 questions; it has this thing that says it bolts to the derailer, do all bikes have a derailer, and, which size would you reccomend: 95mm,104mm, or 110mm?

sorry im being ignorant

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
airrick said:
thanks alot, but i have 2 questions; it has this thing that says it bolts to the derailer, do all bikes have a derailer, and, which size would you reccomend: 95mm,104mm, or 110mm?

sorry im being ignorant
it bolts to the derailleur hanger. your rock has a hanger.

the size of chainring is based on the crankset. yours wont be 110...so, is it a 4 bolt? then it's 104. or, is it 5 bolt? then it's a 94...I converted a similar one last week and the stock crankset was 4 bolt 104.

try this: Misfit Psycles

if you need help ask here or PM me.

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
Those measurements are for the diameter of the chainrings bolt pattern. Different cranks use different sizes. Are you using the stock crank?.. thats the one that came with the rockhopper? If so I'm sure there's people on this board that coudl help you figure out the right size (94, 104, or 110).

And nothing bolts to the derailleur, the chain tensioner bolts to where the derailleur bolts. When you make your bike a single speed you remove the rear derailleur (and the front one too for that matter).

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
Misfits Psyles are cool...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
is this a job i could do myself (a person with basic knowhow and brainpower)?

·
Registered
656 Posts
airrick said:
yeah, if you have the freewheel tools and the lockring bolt thingy to get the cassette off and crank pullers and allen wrenches.

·
Fart smeller
Tell us what parts you're using.
18,105 Posts
airrick said:
I'm pretty lame when it comes to bikes, and I've found that having someone on hand who knows what they're doing is invaluable. I suggest you look around your area (LBS?) for someone who can show you the ropes. You may save a ton of frustration.

fp

·
Registered
656 Posts
I'm installing the SS kit for my bike, and since i don't have the tools to take it apart, i'm paying the LBS $10 to take off the crank and cassette, i'll take off everything else, put on the spacers and cog and tensioner, set everything up, and they'll crank it all down.

·
Nervous Descender
717 Posts
That kit will work but I don't know how good the ring/cogs are.

I just converted an old Trek hardtail. I bought my parts from bikeman.com SS store (great store- thanks Bikeman! :thumbsup: )

I didn't go super cheap. I highly recommend the SS specific rings/cogs made by Surly. Good quality, seem indestructable, and the cogs have wide bases which won't ruin your freehub shell.

I used:
Surly Singleator (new design- works excellently so far)
Surly 32 x 104mm 4 bolt SS chainring
Surly 20t SS cog
Spot spacer kit (a little bling, but Surly kit was unavailable)
Sram PC-58 8 speed chain

To do the conversion, you need the following tools:

Crank puller
Chainwhip
Cassette lockring tool and an adjustable wrench
Allen wrenches (a bike-specific multitool will do)
Short breaker bar with 8mm allen (handy for crank bolt)
Chain tool (for shortening chain)
18mm cone wrench (for Singleator)
Small flat screwdriver
Mechanical aptitude (not much)
Beer

Run the Singleator in push-up mode- it works very well if you follow the directions. If you don't have an 18mm cone wrench, beg, borrow or steal one or try my method and make one from sheetmetal (not shop quality, but it works :thumbsup:). Get your chainline as close to perfect as you can, and shorten the chain as much as possible. Its not hard. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts