Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I get some plastic water bottle bolts? I don’t usually use water bottles so mostly they will just be filling the holes. I have a few bikes that I need them for and I am looking for someplace that sells them.

·
Person
775 Posts
rc51kid said:
Where can I get some plastic water bottle bolts? I don't usually use water bottles so mostly they will just be filling the holes. I have a few bikes that I need them for and I am looking for someplace that sells them.
Use a small piece of electrical tape to cover the hole. Get a colour to match your frames.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I got a bag of 100 or something for like $2 on amazon with free shipping. They are white, but they have been holding bottles on my road and mtbs for years without issue.

·
gone for a bike ride
1,973 Posts
small parts inc M5 x 25mm phillips drive, nylon bolts/screws

743power said:
I got a bag of 100 or something for like $2 on amazon with free shipping. They are white, but they have been holding bottles on my road and mtbs for years without issue.
picked up a bag from amazon myself @ $3.11 inc free shipping & no tax - but 100 is vastly more than i'll ever need ;)

from here: https://www.amazon.com/Nylon-Machin...N5EC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1302311125&sr=8-3

small parts inc brand, pan head, phillips drive, nylon bolts/screws are a stiff plastic so easier to wind up tight & snug than slightly lighter but softer Roth Shek plastic bolts

1.3g 2x M5 x 25mm nylon phillips head bolts - 08.04.11 #9236 v2
M5 x 25mm out of the bag

0.8g 2x M5 x 10mm nylon phillips head bolts - 08.04.11 #9238 v2
cut down to M5 x 10mm with wire cutters

0.9g 2x M5 x 10mm nylon phillips head bolts with matte black heads - 08.04.11 #9240 v2
M5 x 10mm with stealthy matte black heads - did a few in gloss black enamel that look better & weigh the same

best

·
gone for a bike ride
1,973 Posts
M5 plastic bolts also work well with Magura Marta brakes & XTR trigger bar clamps

also Specialized bikes have 3x M5 bolts on the downtube cable guides - plastic bolts instead of steel saves approx. 14g

that takes care of about 22 of the 100 :)

·
gone for a bike ride
1,973 Posts
forgiven_nick said:
Are you intending to use these to mount rotors to wheels? Are they strong enough for that/will they not shear off from braking forces? I have heard that aluminum rotor bolts are even questionable for this application due to shearing forces. Is that true?
lol! i've no plans to replace titanium rotor bolts with melty nylon ;)

helium's alot of fun though

custom monochrome 09 magura Marta SL (semi) magnesium front brake + 750mm Jagwire hose + plastic clamp bolt + SwissStop 21 pads - 18.03.10 #8890 v2
underneath the Magura Marta brake master cylinder bar clamping area you can just about see the head & threads of an M5 x 15mm plastic bolt - there!

210g 09 XTR M970 trigger shifters + Schmolke carbon bolts - 17.09.09 #4002 v2
now using M5 x 15mm nylon bolts instead of those spendy & heavier Schmolke Torx T25 carbon bolts on these XTR triggers

did some bolt tuning last night while waiting for the formula 1 qualifying to start

0.6g 2x mod M5 x 10mm nylon phillips drive bolts  - 09.04.11 #9253 v2
2x mod M5 x 10mm nylon phillips drive bolts - now 1/3 lighter :)

best

·
Adventure Mapper
554 Posts
I wanted to make sure because you mentioned replacing 22 bolts and I tried to figure out where they all were going and figured it had to have included the rotors to get that many bolts replaced! Yes, you are right, they would probably get melty as well as shear off if used as rotor bolts!

·
gone for a bike ride
1,973 Posts
forgiven_nick said:
I wanted to make sure because you mentioned replacing 22 bolts and I tried to figure out where they all were going and figured it had to have included the rotors to get that many bolts replaced! Yes, you are right, they would probably get melty as well as shear off if used as rotor bolts!
err, okay then

...more than one bike here to share them with - but still abit flummoxed what to do with all 100 M5 plastic bolts, but currently having fun mauling the bolt heads with a dremel in an attempt to produce contenders for the world's lightest bottle cage bolts :)

imho plastic rotor bolts won't ever catch on - even hardcore weiners don't have that much of a deathwish!

best

·
Registered
564 Posts
For those using V-brakes, you can safely replace the stud bolts that hold the brake to the frame/fork, as there is very little force applied there.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
You could also replace the lever pivot retaining bolt IF the design is along the same principles as the Hygia SLP as the bolt does nothing more than stop the lever pivot from falling out. The steel pivot itself takes all of the braking force. The bolt I'm taking about is the button head bolt in red below:

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'm probably digging up an old thread here, but give this post of mine a look. I found some plastic dome plugs from Mouser (an electronics supplier) that very nicely snap into water bottle / accessory mount holes. My kitchen scale only registered 1g for 15 plugs, and they cost $0.13/ea (or $0.09/ea in 100-piece quantities).

These are way cheaper / easier to find than plastic screws, and they come in black.

·
More Torque
2,029 Posts
I'm probably digging up an old thread here, but give this post of mine a look. I found some plastic dome plugs from Mouser (an electronics supplier) that very nicely snap into water bottle / accessory mount holes. My kitchen scale only registered 1g for 15 plugs, and they cost $0.13/ea (or $0.09/ea in 100-piece quantities).

These are way cheaper / easier to find than plastic screws, and they come in black.
Looks clean. Nice work.

-D

·
Registered
9 Posts
They don't need to be strong... For me, I'm not replacing any high stress fasteners...
The Moonlander fork has braze on threaded holes for mounting water bottles etc (I have a pump on one side). I just want to plug the open holes with matching black nylon screws/bolts to keep water out and not to stand out (silver metal over black fork).

Found some:
10 Nylon Plastic Black Bolts Screws M5 x 16mm Cap Socket Head Allen Key | eBay

25 Nylon Plastic Black M5 x 12mm Bolt Screw Pan Head Slotted | eBay

M5 Black Nylon Plastic 20mm Screws and Nuts X12 | eBay

1 - 20 of 20 Posts