Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do you guys buy your small oddball repair parts? I'm talking about things like pedal bearings, wheel parts, spokes, etc. Just misc. parts. I'm not a dealer or anything and my LBS hasn't really been much help.

Right now I'm in need of a 108mm front axle for a Shimano M525 front hub. Its a long story but the threads are beyond repair on one side. I know its a crappy hub but if I can find an axle I can make it last at least thru the winter.

I gave my LBS the part number but they said it could take weeks to get that part from Shimano.

·
"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
1,317 Posts
most places

jbordwine said:
Where do you guys buy your small oddball repair parts? I'm talking about things like pedal bearings, wheel parts, spokes, etc. Just misc. parts. I'm not a dealer or anything and my LBS hasn't really been much help.

Right now I'm in need of a 108mm front axle for a Shimano M525 front hub. Its a long story but the threads are beyond repair on one side. I know its a crappy hub but if I can find an axle I can make it last at least thru the winter.

I gave my LBS the part number but they said it could take weeks to get that part from Shimano.
don't stock the small stuff. it's too expensive to hold onto inventory that may never get sold.

you can try a few places and see if they happen to have what you need but almost everybody is going to have to order it.

check with different LBSs as some use different distributors to obtain items than others. I'm surprised your shop was going to order directly from Shimano and not go through a wholesaler. Wholesaler's stock the small stuff since they then offload it to a multitude of different area shops. There are several large distributors so your LBS should be able to get hte parts you need without going straight through Shimano.

YR

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,969 Posts
eatdrinkride said:
Maybe try Alfred E. Bikes.
That's because they have the QBP catalog online. I don't know if they'd actually have all of that stuff in stock, but any bike dealer can order those small parts, and they don't have to come from shimano, they can come from QBP, BTI, etc...

·
EDR
10,311 Posts
Jayem said:
That's because they have the QBP catalog online. I don't know if they'd actually have all of that stuff in stock, but any bike dealer can order those small parts, and they don't have to come from shimano, they can come from QBP, BTI, etc...
Like the OP said "the lbs has not been much help"... sure any lbs should be able to order small parts but not all are willing. So...I offer AEBIKE as a helpful resource. Thats what the OP wanted, right?
:confused:

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Really?

jimbo said:
Try www.loosescrews.com in general and for your part try:

http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cg...es&tc=Front&item_id=LS-2428UH&id=628124619512

Also any reputable lbs should stock generic qr front axles. If they don't they aren't very high quality. A front axle is not some obscure part that is going to sit around for years.
Um, when was the last time you needed a 108 mm front axle? I'm not familiar with the M525 hub but since it's not an XT, XTR or Saint, I'm going to go out on a limb nad assume it's a low end hub. Low end hubs usually don't get rebuilt because the cost for doing so winds up being more than a new hub. So the LBS's are unlikely to stock an axle for a low end hub.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the help guys! I will definitely bookmark all those links. Jimbo, thats the exact part I need, however I stopped by my LBS again and luckily the owner was there. He actually put forth the effort to open a catalog and look up the part. According to his catalog Shimano uses one "standard" axle to fit all their QR hubs. I asked him to order it and he said it usually takes two days so we'll see what happens. They had some rear axles in stock but no front ones.

The Deore M525 is a very low end hub and it gets crap reviews on this site, but the quality is not the issue at hand. The reason I need a new axle......I took my bike into my LBS to get their advertised "tune-up" which included repacking the hubs with grease. I rode the bike for about two months or so and the other day while removing the front wheel I noticed something funny about the axle. There was barely any axle at all showing on the right side, maybe 2mm at the most. I was mostly riding on the skewer! Somehow the axle had shifted over to the left side. I cant really explain or don't even clearly understand what happened but somehow the right side cone and nut came loose and it really did a number on the threads! It actually wore a grove all the way around the axle. Maybe it was a fluke but maybe my LBS is too blame....who knows? I know they were in there cause the bike is 2 yrs old and the grease in both hubs was fresh. I took the axle out of my sons "kiddie Trek bike" and put it in my front wheel, everything feels fine so I think the damage was isolated to the axle itself and not the hub or bearings, everything spins smoothly but the "kiddie Trek bike" axle is about a 1/4 inch too short and I dont really trust it, hence the need for a new axle. I know the hub sucks but a $10 axle is a lot cheaper and simpler than a new hub or whole new wheel!

Just another reason to learn to wrench on your own junk!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts