Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Leviathan ?

I am currrent riding a mtn cycle san andreas. I ride xc all mtn. I really like
the high bb height. No pedal strikes. I have tried the gary fishers and specialized at
the local store to low of bb for me. Is the leviathan or el ray or turner any better in
that area of bb height? No sure i test ride any of those?
Thanks
 

·
a.k.a. MTBMaven
Joined
·
1,750 Posts
Ask for Brian (aka Donkey) at The Path. He is a Lenz rider and is always of great help. I am heading down there in about an hour to get the fixin's for my 29er drop bar conversion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
My 3" Leviathan has 13 1/4" in the clear BB height, 14 1/4" on the spec sheet which is to the BB center, Weirwolf 2.55 tires, tubeless, 100mm Reba upfront almost no pedal strike in my rocky, central TX world. My Pivot 429 has 5/8" less clearance and much more pedal contact.
Has anyone experienced the difference in handling on a Leviathan between the older 38mm fork offset and the new 46mm offset? Just curious.
 

·
Harmonius Wrench
Joined
·
8,254 Posts
Padre said:
My pedals struck all the time on my Sultan and rarely on my Leviathan. Me gusta high BBs.
I'm going to throw out that the shorter chainstays on Lenz 29"ers also have something to do with this. I wouldn't be surprised if Lenz also had a slightly shorter wheelbase to boot. If so, this would also aid in not getting pedal strikes.

Just an observation.
 

·
.......................
Joined
·
3,049 Posts
The Lev's all have long (18.2") CS's. I also appreciate the "high" bb (13.7ish for a 3" Lev with a 100mm Reba). I certainly wouldn't characterize the wheelbase as short, but that's a good thing, IMO.
 

·
Keep on Rockin...
Joined
·
6,473 Posts
Tall BBs...

I run a Lev 4" and can't say it "feels" like it has a tall BB. I much prefer lower BBs, but really can't tell that much difference if they are within .75" of each other. I also tend to run a bit more sag (and slightly less rebound) sothe bike sits lower.

Compared to my old Bullit, which I use to ride as a trailbike, every feels like a low BB.

What size are you looking for?
 

·
Harmonius Wrench
Joined
·
8,254 Posts
ionsmuse said:
The Lev's all have long (18.2") CS's. I also appreciate the "high" bb (13.7ish for a 3" Lev with a 100mm Reba). I certainly wouldn't characterize the wheelbase as short, but that's a good thing, IMO.
Whoops! I'm wrong. I thought the Levs had the shorter chainstays like the Behemoth and Lunchbox.

By the way, that Lunchbox I rode at Interbike, the one Enel has, wow! That thing was sky high! Didn't seem to affect the slow speed switchback handling in a negative way though.

Anyway, the theory I'm workin' off of is if the chainstays are shorter and the wheels closer together, the pedal strikes are harder to come by.

Thanks for setting me straight on the Lev, ionmuse. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
I'm going to throw out that the shorter chainstays on Lenz 29"ers also have something to do with this. I wouldn't be surprised if Lenz also had a slightly shorter wheelbase to boot. If so, this would also aid in not getting pedal strikes.

Just an observation.
How does a shorter chainstay and WB effect pedal strike? I see how crank arm length would. I'm always willing to learn something new. The offsets on the new suspension forks shorten wheelbase, could this have an effect?
 

·
NMBP
Joined
·
2,159 Posts
With a longer wheel base, a hump in the trail will become more pronounced. Think of a Jeep vs a long bed pickup. They might have the same ground clearance, but the long bed will most likely hit more rocks on a trail.

On my Behemoth (1st generation, long wheel base) I hit my pedals a lot. I also run 180 cranks and I am coordination challenged.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
crashtestdummy said:
With a longer wheel base, a hump in the trail will become more pronounced. Think of a Jeep vs a long bed pickup. They might have the same ground clearance, but the long bed will most likely hit more rocks on a trail.

On my Behemoth (1st generation, long wheel base) I hit my pedals a lot. I also run 180 cranks and I am coordination challenged.
I've got 172.5 cranks on my Lev 3", a medium, the Jeep/PU analogy makes some sense. So does that mean that shortening the WB, a new fork with a greater offset, will hit less rocks, smooth out the ride , or what? From what I've read, the steering quickens because you will be reducing the trail, but a longer WB turns slower and is more stable.It's interesting what a difference a few mm's makes.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top