Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey homers,
Im looking at upgrading my wheelset. I ride an 04 burner (blue) and I would like to build some king hubs, dt rims etc. My lbs said they can build me a hope, dt wheelset for around 600 bones and they supposedly weigh around 1600 grams. Which would u guys build and who would you let build them? Im open to suggestions. Also, Iooked at colorado cyclist wheel builds, and they are competitively priced also.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
prooperator said:
Hey homers,
Im looking at upgrading my wheelset. I ride an 04 burner (blue) and I would like to build some king hubs, dt rims etc. My lbs said they can build me a hope, dt wheelset for around 600 bones and they supposedly weigh around 1600 grams. Which would u guys build and who would you let build them? Im open to suggestions. Also, Iooked at colorado cyclist wheel builds, and they are competitively priced also.
$600 for a set of Hope Pro II laced to DT 4.1 or 5.1 rims is too much money. You can do better than that if you get in touch with either Larry or Chad and probably other wheelbuilders as well.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Another vote for Larry :thumbsup: As said he's a great guy, loads of knowledge, in it for the right reason (he's super passionate about MTBing) and builds excellent wheels for astonding prices.

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
prooperator said:
Appreciate the info guys! Sounds like I will be calling Larry first chance I get.
Low $500's with ProII's , $200 more with Kings.

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
nybike1971 said:
$600 for a set of Hope Pro II laced to DT 4.1 or 5.1 rims is too much money. You can do better than that if you get in touch with either Larry or Chad and probably other wheelbuilders as well.
You can get that from Chainreaction for less than 400 bucks, shipped.

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
If you're going to anyone else besides Larry (and Chad) you're :

a) spending too much
b) getting a mediocre build
c) combination of a & b

Low-to-mid $700s for a custom CK build is really good, especially from a good wheelbuilder. I have several sets from Larry and they rarely, if ever, need any attention.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Flyer said:
I have several sets from Larry and they rarely, if ever, need any attention.
Avoid being a moron like I was and do not insist on colored, aluminum nipples, then Larry will certainly build you a great set of wheels.

Of course his rebuild with brass nipples performs beautifully.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
What problems did you have? I ask as my Pro2/Flow wheels were built with alu nips and I'm kind of playing a waiting game since I live on an island and ride right next to the sea all the time - fav trail runs right along the coast. So far so good though and it's been almost 6 omnths on the rear and 4 months on the front. I am kind of anal about giving it a wash after I ride on that trail and/or if it gets muddy, so this may help.

cbrossman said:
Avoid being a moron like I was and do not insist on colored, aluminum nipples, then Larry will certainly build you a great set of wheels.

Of course his rebuild with brass nipples performs beautifully.

·
Registered
982 Posts
+1 for Dave Chase

Zeke said:
Dave at Redstone Cyclery. He builts killer wheels, has good prices and is second to none with customer service.
Ditto here for Dave at Redstone - awesome guy and he is open and there throughout the week. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.