Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many posts talk about SKF bearings and others that are possibly more durable than the generic bearings that come with bottom brackets and hubs. Anyone know of online sources for such bearings? I found a UK supplier of SKF bearings that will ship to the US, but am interested in some other options too. Looking for premium steel bearings that are built for durability. Thanks!

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,988 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks - That site lists 4 options for 6806 bottom bracket bearings with dust seals. There's a DD version, ZZ, 2RS1, and RZ. Which do you think is best for mtb bottom bracket durability? The industry - speak on the site is not helpful to me.

·
Formerly of Kent
14,154 Posts
Ok thanks - That site lists 4 options for 6806 bottom bracket bearings with dust seals. There's a DD version, ZZ, 2RS1, and RZ. Which do you think is best for mtb bottom bracket durability? The industry - speak on the site is not helpful to me.
2RS1 = two full contact rubber seals.

DD = two rubber seals.

2RZ, VV = two non-contacting rubber seals.

ZZ, 2Z= two metal shields.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,988 Posts
It varies by manufacturer IME, they use different names and abbreviations for the same things. There are some conversion charts, just use the google. Usually 2RS or equivalent is good enough.

Reactions: Smiles for miles

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,988 Posts
REAL WORLD CYCLING
Naw, we are talking about quality bearing suppliers, despite the "enduro" name on those bearings by RWC which makes them sound all down-duro-freeride, they are mid-grade at best. Despite all the hype and flair that RWC puts out, stuff by NSK, SKF, F.A.G., etc., is far superior for quality, load ratings, durability, etc.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,988 Posts
What is up with all the bearing sellers being in UK?
A few of the manufacturers of the bearings are in the EU, the others are Japanese.

It may even be something that your local bearing supply shop can get? Might be worth asking.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Phil wood sells bearings. Made by others to their spec.

·
Formerly of Kent
14,154 Posts
Phil wood sells bearings. Made by others to their spec.

Most of their stuff is NSK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
651 Posts
Naw, we are talking about quality bearing suppliers, despite the "enduro" name on those bearings by RWC which makes them sound all down-duro-freeride, they are mid-grade at best. Despite all the hype and flair that RWC puts out, stuff by NSK, SKF, F.A.G., etc., is far superior for quality, load ratings, durability, etc.
So it's safe to assume you have neither used them, nor understand how to spec a quality bearing for a specific application. Buying an aerospace/race engine grade bearing for a mtb suspension application is simply ignorant.

·
Registered
527 Posts
So it's safe to assume you have neither used them, nor understand how to spec a quality bearing for a specific application. Buying an aerospace/race engine grade bearing for a mtb suspension application is simply ignorant.
I have used them plenty in the past and like stated before they are just a mid grade bearing, for pivots they are ok if you repack them with more grease but on bottom brackets and hubs they don't last near as long as high end bearings like SKF, NTN, NSK, ***, INA, etc. And you're point about being unnecessary for MTB would be relevant if they were super expensive but I can usually find them for same price or even cheaper than Enduro bearings so Superior quality for same price it's a no brainer to me.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,988 Posts
Oh no, I've used them. I've gotten ones (enduro) fairly recently too, within the season. Can't remember the application, but if I can't find the bearing I'm looking for anywhere else, I will go there, but over the years I've realized the difference after testing both extensively.

There's a huge difference between how the SKF or NSK bearings roll after a season. I keep checking the NSK one and it just keeps going and going. I pulled some SKF ones out of another BB a few months ago same thing, I put them in another bike due to how well they still felt. Never felt anything like this from an "enduro" product. I don't think buying high quality bearings intended for spinning applications is ignorant. The enduro stuff is fine if you want to keep changing out bearings every once and a while or don't have any real mud/durability issues.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.