Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello to all

and thanks in advance for the help.

i would really appreciate your help in finding an online store that sells those rear derailleur protectors? They are essentially a thick metal rod that covers the entire rear derailleur and protects it in case of a side fall.

thanks so much

my email is [email protected]

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
congonic said:
hello to all

and thanks in advance for the help.

i would really appreciate your help in finding an online store that sells those rear derailleur protectors? They are essentially a thick metal rod that covers the entire rear derailleur and protects it in case of a side fall.

thanks so much

my email is [email protected]
Find a place that sells kids bikes. They will have one:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not helpful

bike_freak said:
Find a place that sells kids bikes. They will have one:)
i appreciate the help but i don't think you were being helpful, i would rather bike with protector than mess up my 70 dollar derailleur every time i bike.

and if you could direct me to an online store that carries them i would appreciate it.

thanks

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Bike Freak is right. What your looking for is put on almost all childrens bikes. You might also look at the "Hanger Bangers" from North Shore Billet. The only problem is that you can't get them in the states yet, they're from Canada. John Henry Bikes in Canada carries them. May not be what your lookin' for. The Derailluer protector on kids bikes may be more of what your expecting.

NSB link: http://www.northshorebillet.com/products.php#accessories

·
Registered
18,840 Posts
congonic said:
i appreciate the help but i don't think you were being helpful, i would rather bike with protector than mess up my 70 dollar derailleur every time i bike.

and if you could direct me to an online store that carries them i would appreciate it.

thanks
I doubt any online store would carry such a junk item. I don't think they really do much to protect the derailleur anyway. In a side fall, the derailleur won't hit the ground. A stick in the derailleur is more likely to do the damage, and in that case a metal protector won't help. Also, since it's an item for such cheap Wal-Mart bikes you might have compatibility problems with a $70 derailleur. You don't need it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
why so???

why isn't it a good idea then

i would think it protects it quite a bit from side impact and all

could you enlighten me as to why it is not useful in terms of protection?

thanks guys

·
Registered
18,840 Posts
congonic said:

thanks guys
Go outside right now and lay your bike over on its right side. The derailleur doesn't hit anything.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
thoughts

nobody riding FR on the Norshore has a protector. Once in a while one gets wrecked, so then we usually put on a new one. Riding doesn't get much more exposed than that.

If you are that concerned, carry a Deore or lower model one in your pack for emergencies.

Worry about the ride and how much fun you'll have, NOT what damage might occur.

Jim

·
it's....
2,088 Posts
congonic said:

thanks guys
Have you ever broken one?
You sound like you break on on every ride.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Derailleurs are disposable

I agree, I've had a stick break a derailleur, another time the chain jammed between cogs and spokes, the wheel rotation snapped the derailleur. A friend with the newer Shimano derailleur where the spring pulls it towards the spokes tried to adjust it while riding and .. (you can guess the rest). Nowadays I don't use a derailleur.

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
congonic said:

thanks guys
Sorry if I sounded sarcastic, but I was telling you the truth:)

But really.. I have seen these protectors actually bend a frame because they put the impact area where it isn't surpposed to be(kinda..).

I agree with others here, if you keep breaking derailuers, then use a cheaper one:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.