Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
dirtbag
1,507 Posts
F*** this isn't gonna be cheap :(

picked up a VooDoo Wanga and a Surly 1x1 Fork.
I really wanna do this, but I really don't want blow all my bike tour money. Wheelset for $500, damn, I miss pro-deal.

:cryin::cryin::cryin::cryin:
Seems like you gotta reach into your wallet if you want a SS hub, tubeless, 650b wheelset. That's a very specific build. I recently got a similar wheelset custom built: SS hub, 15mm front TA, 650b and I paid a pretty penny for it. Well worth it.

There is a cheaper option. I've seen 650B Blunt wheelsets on eBay for a bit over $300. Not SS specific hubs and Stans rims but with the proper conversions they'll serve your purpose.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
There are cheaper options that may be converted to ghetto-tubeless on ebay or at Home - Cycling Closeouts

They are OEM SS wheels off of Haro Beasleys. I suspect one could set them up ghetto tubeless with some effort.

·
skaterqwertyuiop
120 Posts
These? >>>>NEW WEINMANN DISCOVERY SINGLE SPEED WHEEL SET

Wienmann Discovery 650B Single Speed Wheel set - Cycling Closeouts

good lead!

any idea how poor the quality is on these? good enough?
I'm not sure if these are of the same quality of my stock wienmann wheels on my haro, but those sucked. My wheels went out of true within a month. I mean so badly out of true, that my rim brakes didn't work. I ended up having to get a new wheelset, and went disc.
Like I said, I'm not sure if the wheels in your link will be as bad as mine, but that was my experience with wienmann. All of my WTB wheels have been awesome.

·
Kicker of Elves
427 Posts
I'm not sure if these are of the same quality of my stock wienmann wheels on my haro, but those sucked. My wheels went out of true within a month. I mean so badly out of true, that my rim brakes didn't work. I ended up having to get a new wheelset, and went disc.
Like I said, I'm not sure if the wheels in your link will be as bad as mine, but that was my experience with wienmann. All of my WTB wheels have been awesome.
These? >>>>NEW WEINMANN DISCOVERY SINGLE SPEED WHEEL SET

Wienmann Discovery 650B Single Speed Wheel set - Cycling Closeouts

good lead!

any idea how poor the quality is on these? good enough?
Like you, I've decided to try out the 650b thing too. I decided not to spend a bunch on wheels until I get a feel for how I like it so I went for these. The build isn't done but the wheels arrived the other day and I can tell you a little about them...

The rear hub spins very well and although I haven't poked around on it yet it appears to have cartridge bearings based on the smooth operation. The front hub is loose ball and mine were very rough and tight. Pulled the cones, greased them, and tightened them properly and I'm satisfied with them - pretty smooth.

They are pretty true, although I haven't checked the spoke tension yet. Not bad for a mass produced wheel I guess. If the spokes have pretty even tension I wouldn't be tempted to true them. Guess I don't know much about them after all...

The rims are double walled, pinned. Non split tube conversion would likely be a challenge for tubeless. I'll be trying it out due to the goat heads in my area. Slight hop at the pinned section where it was ground down. Mine have rim strips installed. The spokes nipples are brass but look anodized gold - and look pretty dang good IMO.

If I were to continue with 650B I could see the hubs holding up but the rims are suspect to me. They just seem cheap, which is what they are. I could see swapping them out and continuing with the hubs someday. Did some research on the hubs (Pivot, Haro house brand) and the consensus is durable but not fancy.

Don't know if this helps...!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts