Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My budget is 700$ Max. I am looking for a bike with a good frame worth keeping for later component upgrades. I have never owned a mountain bike. My experience is with bmx/dirt bikes. I have been riding trails with a bmx successfully for years. I can handle pretty hairy trails but i am no expert. I like to take jumps and steep declines and generally push my self to the limit. Again I am no expert. But the bottom line is I would like to riding the expert trails and take some jumps here and there. I dont plan on visiting any dirt jump parks.

Because of my price range I am looking primarily at hardtails.

My confusion begins with the style of bike i should be looking for. I am concerned that a XC bike will fall apart on me, that a FR bike will be too heavy or the geometry will be to specific for my needs, and that a AM bike is too expensive!

Could you please help me with maybe 2 or 3 bikes from any category you think I should be looking at?

·
Registered
190 Posts
You can start by visitiing your Local Bike Shop and Test Ride the Bikes that are under your price range, Stick w/ your price! some shop will try to talk you into buying a bike that cost more $. remember, The MOST! important thing is proper Fit & what "you" feel comfortable w/, once your done window shopping come back here and ask if this is a good bike w/ this price.

Specialized
Rockhopper
Hardrock
P. All Mountain

Gary Fisher
Opie
Wahoo Disc

Trek
4300 Disc

Kona
Blast

These are pretty much based on MSRP Price, I Highly suggest going to you LBS try them out... some shop may sell you an upper model for $700.

If you want an AM Hardtail try out the Jamis Komodo, It should be under $700

Good Luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried out the wahoo and liked the way it felt but i have yet to try a bike like the Opie out.
You have pointed out a couple different styles of bike here. based on my riding needs what kind do you think i should be going for? AM XC FR?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I test drove a Stp and I actually didnt like it. For some reason i have been attracted to this style of body. I guess because of the similarity to bmx. And go figure, it feels just like a big bmx. It was not a big enough departure from bmx as I want. As most have suggested I may up my budget up to 1000. I am finding that some bike shops around are desperate to make a sale. I drove a FS commencal meta 5.5.3 and loved it. the bike shop offered to sell it and the bike my girlfriend test drove ( cannondale rush 3 feminine ) for 2200 give or take. From what I can tell its a good deal. Also this bike shop actually resnts out some high end bikes for 15 bucks a day. So I will jump on that. This will give me a chance to try a FS for the first time on some trails!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.