Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been pinch flatting my rear maxxis minion 2.35 at 46psi. Been running my front 2.5 WTB Prowler MX at 34psi, I've rim dinged at 28psi so I switched to 34 with no issues. I just put on some Continental 2.5 UST Diesels. Wondering where I should start with pressure front and rear. I was thinking 30psi front and 40psi rear or 28psi front and 35psi rear. The tire is so much bigger than the minion, I was thinking I could get away with 35psi rear, but I don't want to dent my relatively new Crossmax SX wheels, so I'm second guessing myself. Any thoughts before my finger heals and I can go fast again?

I'm riding extremely rocky trails at high speed, trying to find the right balance of not dinging my rim and having some cushion as opposed to boinging off rocks from high pressure.

·
I dig trails!
5,611 Posts
twowheelsrock said:
I've been pinch flatting my rear maxxis minion 2.35 at 46psi. Been running my front 2.5 WTB Prowler MX at 34psi, I've rim dinged at 28psi so I switched to 34 with no issues. I just put on some Continental 2.5 UST Diesels. Wondering where I should start with pressure front and rear. I was thinking 30psi front and 40psi rear or 28psi front and 35psi rear. The tire is so much bigger than the minion, I was thinking I could get away with 35psi rear, but I don't want to dent my relatively new Crossmax SX wheels, so I'm second guessing myself. Any thoughts before my finger heals and I can go fast again?

I'm riding extremely rocky trails at high speed, trying to find the right balance of not dinging my rim and having some cushion as opposed to boinging off rocks from high pressure.
Not a direct answer, but my experience with the Prowler is that it is a large volume 60 tpi tire only. For me it was very stiff at anything above 30psi and would let even low speed sharp rocks through to the rim at 28psi....

The 2.35 Maxxis is a great tire for most riding except what you describe - fast & sharp rocks - too little volume.

Keep in mind that the UST Diesel has more sidewall than both previous tires and much more volume than the Minion. So my best guess is to start at 30 front and 35 rear. Adjust as necessary - I think you can go lower, but preserve those rims :)

Where are you riding and how much do weigh and are you smooth or not?

P

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
to answer your question Mr P...

I'm 190-195 lbs with gear. I live in Phoenix Az. I am a smooth rider, not a hack...I just keep popping the tire in the exact same section of a trail I run alot, going into a chute with a left turn in it and a sharp set of rocks (only sticking up a couple inches) at the bottom of it, which then turns right and then off a step jump. I used to pop the tire when on the brakes down into the chute and hitting the rocks, the suspension would take a bang of a hit, but now I trained myself not to use the brakes, but with the speed I'm going, the rear suspension is undergoing a lot of compression, and I'm turning, so it's always pinching just on one side. I'll try the 30/35 out and see how she goes. Thanks for the info.
I agree with you exactly about the Prowler MX and the Minion. You're dead on with my experiences as well.
One other thing to note, I'm running a Roco Air TST shock and I was running my bottom out pressure 10 lbs above the minimum setting. I've since lowered it to the minimum pressure. I'm thinking maybe the ramp up was causing the rear suspension to be too stiff to absorb the impact. Can't wait til my finger heals:madman: , hard to ride fast without a working finger to grab the front brake.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I was running 2.5" Minions on my Crossmax SX wheelset for the past year at no more than 32psi. Usually i'd run 26psi front and rear with no burping or rim denting issues. I weight about 85kg all geared up and ride a Nomad. I'm not the smoothest rider either.:thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.